Class of 2021 - PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA) | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA)

If we bring in a center that deserves 25 MPG I doubt Maliq is getting 15. Mcleod will get time if he's healthy.
It would likely be match up dependent, which is good. Maliq is the better player so I think he would take the bulk of the 15 mpg, but if we needed extra rim protection from time to time it would be McLeod.

I think 4 men in today’s game have to be able to score in a variety of ways, and create their own shots. I haven’t seen that from Brown.
Taking the available open shots would be a step in the right direction and maybe enough depending on what else is around him. Do we need him to be a playmaker or a complementary piece?

I strongly disagree. Not many 4 men can create their own shots and score in a variety of ways. Look at KJ Adams at Kansas, Ryan Dunn at UVA, Mark Mitchell at Duke, all of Houstons bigs. Those are just off the top of my head I'm sure there is many more from good teams. Like Ryan Dunn, he's the best defender we have he will play even without being too much of an offensive threat. He also is a very underrated passer and moves the ball really well.

I also expect Maliq to be more aggressive next year. Would imagine he adds a mid-range jumper this offseason as his shot mechanics aren't bad. He also has a nice touch around the rim and is capable of putting the ball on the floor in the half court when driving to the basket. I don't think he'll ever be a back to the basket guy but he knows where to be on the floor and seems to always find the ball. Thats all we need from him if we add a quality center. If Donnie is ready to contribute early on he will provide inside scoring.

If you also go back and watch last year with Jesse, Maliq is really good at running the floor and can score in transition. He wasn't really able to showcase that this year because he was basically the only one that could rebound defensively and was stuck doing so.
I don't know what to expect from Maliq next year. I've seen too many guys that showed glimpses of skills but lacked aggressiveness never develop the aggressiveness. If he does, he would be great for us. If not, he's still a great glue guy but then we need others around him to be the aggressors.

How much time does a true center get??? The answer is A LOT.

Freeman and Bell take 0 minutes away from a center. After this year I don't think the staff even wants Brown getting minutes at the 5.
The staff intends for Maliq to get minutes at the 5 even with a portal center addition.

At his actual position the 4.

Were does Freemen get his minutes if Brown is at the four?

and let's jump to the next question...

Where does Bell get his minutes if Freeman is at the 3 - and is that where you want Freeman?

and the question after that...

Where do Starling and Moore get their minutes if you put Bell at the 2? And can Bell play the 2?

Were does Freemen get his minutes if Brown is at the four?

and let's jump to the next question...

Where does Bell get his minutes if Freeman is at the 3 - and is that where you want Freeman?

and the question after that...

Where do Starling and Moore get their minutes if you put Bell at the 2? And can Bell play the 2?
Its really not rocket science. Starling and Moore get minutes at the 2. Bell gets minutes at the 3. Brown and Freeman get minutes at the 4.

Its really not rocket science. Starling and Moore get minutes at the 2. Bell gets minutes at the 3. Brown and Freeman get minutes at the 4.
I agree, it isn't rocket science.

Portal Center plays 28 minutes a game. Brown fills in for four 3 minute rest periods for portal center.

Freeman plays 28 minutes a game, Brown fills in for four 3 minute rest periods for Freeman.

Bell plays 28 minutes a game, Brown fills in for two 3 minute rests, and Copeland the other two.

Portal Center 28
Brown 30
Freeman 28
Bell 28
Copeland 6

The portal center is either a great player and one of Freeman or Brown are sent back to the bench (Brown was a starter due to injury this season, after all and Freeman is still a freshman) or the portal center gets starters minutes with Brown, Freeman and Bell as the players on the court to start the game.

Undetermined backup center and big forward players get spot minutes unless they have injuries again, or somebody has a huge breakthrough. It would be kind of awesome if Carey gets recruited over by a solid portal center, and Carey goes on to eat him alive in practice so he takes a lot of portal center's minutes. I guess that's why we watch sports. (and why everybody watches Rudy over and over!)

I agree, it isn't rocket science.

Portal Center plays 28 minutes a game. Brown fills in for four 3 minute rest periods for portal center.

Freeman plays 28 minutes a game, Brown fills in for four 3 minute rest periods for Freeman.

Bell plays 28 minutes a game, Brown fills in for two 3 minute rests, and Copeland the other two.

Portal Center 28
Brown 30
Freeman 28
Bell 28
Copeland 6

The portal center is either a great player and one of Freeman or Brown are sent back to the bench (Brown was a starter due to injury this season, after all and Freeman is still a freshman) or the portal center gets starters minutes with Brown, Freeman and Bell as the players on the court to start the game.

Undetermined backup center and big forward players get spot minutes unless they have injuries again, or somebody has a huge breakthrough. It would be kind of awesome if Carey gets recruited over by a solid portal center, and Carey goes on to eat him alive in practice so he takes a lot of portal center's minutes. I guess that's why we watch sports. (and why everybody watches Rudy over and over!)

It's also not how coaches think. They want their best guys out there as much as possible and Brown is one of our best guys. Imagine telling Brown he's going to fill in for 3 minute rest periods at three different positions?

It's also not how coaches think. They want their best guys out there as much as possible and Brown is one of our best guys. Imagine telling Brown he's going to fill in for 3 minute rest periods at three different positions?
Brown will get around 20 at the 4 maybe more depending on what Freeman looks like and spot minutes at the 5 depending on the matchup. He overcomplicated it.

No, but it is how you can figure out a rotation. Essentially, Brown is the starter at PF, plays some sort minutes at center, and Freeman is the backup at PF and plays some SF when Bell is out.

I was just laying out their minutes in the rotation so we don't have to have iron man players any more.

One extra big guy to push Brown down to a 4-5 instead of our iron man 5 would have made this team so much better this season.

No, but it is how you can figure out a rotation. Essentially, Brown is the starter at PF, plays some sort minutes at center, and Freeman is the backup at PF and plays some SF when Bell is out.

I was just laying out their minutes in the rotation so we don't have to have iron man players any more.

One extra big guy to push Brown down to a 4-5 instead of our iron man 5 would have made this team so much better this season.

Red showed how he intended to use the big guys early this season. McLeod started and was available to provide a 7-4 obstacle to a really good big man but Brown played most of the minutes at center even before Naheem's injury. You're not going to get really good center out of the portal to do that and, between McLeod and Patterson, (who I think will pass Carey even in Peter stays), already provide that. We just need them to be healthy. If they do, Brown won't be playing 40 minutes. But he'll be playing most of his minutes at center, with Freeman and Bell at forward.

Red showed how he intended to use the big guys early this season. McLeod started and was available to provide a 7-4 obstacle to a really good big man but Brown played most of the minutes at center even before Naheem's injury. You're not going to get really good center out of the portal to do that and, between McLeod and Patterson, (who I think will pass Carey even in Peter stays), already provide that. We just need them to be healthy. If they do, Brown won't be playing 40 minutes. But he'll be playing most of his minutes at center, with Freeman and Bell at forward.
The staff's plan is to add a center and move Maliq back to his natural position. And I'm not sure why you keep referencing Bell, he will only ever play the 3 and doesn't impact Maliq at all because he will never play the 3. Has no correlation to a center or Brown's minutes.

Last edited:
Brown has said he dont mind a few there but he doesnt wana live there. Look i kinda think ha has Nba thing about him. He is extremely good at passing, rebounding, and just general basketball iq that not many people have. He would not do himself any good if he played 5 most of the year again and we wouldnt be good.

Brown has said he dont mind a few there but he doesnt wana live there. Look i kinda think ha has Nba thing about him. He is extremely good at passing, rebounding, and just general basketball iq that not many people have. He would not do himself any good if he played 5 most of the year again and we wouldnt be good.

Let's play Brown at the high post and Naheem at the low post.

I don't think McLeod has any clue at all what to do on a basketball court.
He knows how to clap and make "arghhgsgshg"noises. When he misses a shot or rebound.

Naheem McLeod 14.4m 10.7P 11.9r 0.2a 0.6s 5.3b = 28.7+ 2.6mfg 1.4mft 1.2to 2.2pf = 7.4-
21.3NP 6.7OE 14.6FG

Maliq Brown 29.6m 12.9p 9.7r 2.5a 3.0s 1.2b = 29.3+ 2.3mfg 0.7mft 1.7to 4.1pf = 8.8-
20.5NP 9.9OE 10.6FG

Naheem McLeod 14.4m 10.7P 11.9r 0.2a 0.6s 5.3b = 28.7+ 2.6mfg 1.4mft 1.2to 2.2pf = 7.4-
21.3NP 6.7OE 14.6FG

Maliq Brown 29.6m 12.9p 9.7r 2.5a 3.0s 1.2b = 29.3+ 2.3mfg 0.7mft 1.7to 4.1pf = 8.8-
20.5NP 9.9OE 10.6FG
I watch that highlight again after the season and think:

Did we ever even try to get the ball to McLeod in the post?

Did we ever just throw the ball up near the rim so he could dunk it? Or did we just have him set picks 20 feet away from where he could do anything useful on offense?

Shaking my head.

Did we ever just throw the ball up near the rim so he could dunk it? Or did we just have him set picks 20 feet away from where he could do anything useful on offense?

Shaking my head.

I feel like I’ve watched that same play…… for the last 25+ years

Shaking my head.
The answer is no! In addition, Syracuse never tried to find JT in the open or tried a play to get him.

Maybe, this statement is unfair but don’t believe that Judah “ Me First “ Mintz often tried to find that any team mates in the open without first looking to score himself.

Aren't there legit questions about both his motor and his attitude? Am I wrong about this? He obviously has a ton of talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom