Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

Illinois has a bad basketball program. They have won 2 NCAA tournament games in the last 12 years, the same number SU won a month ago (technically Syracuse won 3 NCAA games last month). Syracuse has been to 2 Final Fours more recently than the last time Illinois won an NCAA game. They have fired 2 HCs in the last 6 years and the new one is off to a horrendous start. If Bryce goes to Illinois, who knows who will actually coach him?

Attendance is collapsing and has gotten worse since this article was written:

Illini experience worst attendance numbers since 1978

It is 627 miles from Winchester, VA to Champaign, IL.

It is 364 miles from Winchester to Syracuse.

Driving distances to away conference games would of course be dramatically lower in the ACC compared to the B1G.

Recent Illinois Basketball History

2006–07 Bruce Weber 23–12 9–7 4th(T) NCAA Round of 64
2007–08 Bruce Weber 16–19 5–13 9th(T)
2008–09 Bruce Weber 24–10 11–7 2nd(T) NCAA Round of 64
2009–10 Bruce Weber 21–15 10–8 5th NIT Quarterfinals
2010–11 Bruce Weber 20–14 9–9 4th NCAA Round of 32
2011–12 Bruce Weber 17–15 6–12 9th
Bruce Weber: 210–101 89–65
John Groce (2012–2017)
2012–13 John Groce 23–13 8–10 7th (T) NCAA Round of 32
2013–14 John Groce 20–15 7–11 8th (T) NIT 2nd round
2014–15 John Groce 19–14 9–9 7th (T) NIT 1st round
2015–16 John Groce 15–19 5–13 12th
2016–17 John Groce 18–14 8–10 9th
John Groce: 95–75 37–53
Jamall Walker (2017–2017)
2016–17 Jamall Walker (Interim) 2–1 – – NIT 3rd round
Jamall Walker: 2–1 --
Brad Underwood (2017–present)
2017–18 Brad Underwood 14–18 4–14 11th (T)

Academics are a push. The B1G is of course a far inferior league to the ACC, the top basketball conference in the country.

Bryce would of course be practicing against far better competition each day at Syracuse.

He would of course receive far better coaching at Syracuse under a legendary HOF coach instead of this guy who struggling to beat Rutgers.

The one thing Illinois has going for it is playing time. Given how awful their record has been, I assume they have no division 1 players and he would immediately be their best player.

It comes down to whether you want to play a lot against bad players, not get better, make it really hard for your family and friends to watch you play, lose 80 games during your college career and do something boring after college or if you want to play against the best competition possible, have your family and friends go to lots of games, win 100 games in your college career, go to a Final Four or two and play pro ball afterwards.

Can't argue with the info about their recent history, but I wouldn't underestimate Brad Underwood as a coach. Obviously, not the track of record of JB but I'd be surprised if he doesn't turn things around there.

What constitutes a “workout”? Is it merely the presence of coaching staff?

Yea I'm not sure on the rules but it's a good question to ask. According to the video of his OV breakdown he worked out at ubben in front of a bunch of fans. I think the guy doing the video mentioned managers being present and I think that was basically it. Said the staff came in after the workout or something along those lines. So basically it was just him getting a workout in at their gym with no staff but a bunch of people watching.

What’s the point/difference of saying coaches can’t be present vs having plenty of fans who could possibly record the workout and share it with whomever? Only thing different in my mind is that the coach/player can’t talk at that exact time of the workout. Curious what the specific rules are.

Yeah let’s not be the fan base that is so insecure that when a recruit we are after goes on a visit and we start crying foul with what he is doing there. It really is a bad look. If he goes to Illinois wish him well and move on. If he joins Cuse, great.

Yeah let’s not be the fan base that is so insecure that when a recruit we are after goes on a visit and we start crying foul with what he is doing there. It really is a bad look. If he goes to Illinois wish him well and move on. If he joins Cuse, great.
Not crying foul. Just curious what the rule is. If we have to stoop to the level of trying to find a violation by Illinois, there is a much bigger issue.

Maybe not lame.

If they do that 100 more times, they will have made up the difference in attendance between one of our home games and one of their's. Someone remind the Goldens.

I agree we shouldnt... but I think the only things working against us here would be the previous relationship they established with Bryce and available playing time. With that said, I don't see how you can compare cuse to Illinois. It would be a no brainer for most I would think. Let's hope he liked what we had to offer and realizes that Illinois is no Syracuse.

If they do that 100 more times, they will have made up the difference in attendance between one of our home games and one of their's. Someone remind the Goldens.

It’s not a game though. It’s a workout. They had 100 fans come show him love.

An on campus workout is a major violation. Whether or not anyone reports it is a different thing.

Pretty funny that they would actually do that.

this thread has gotten so pathetic. worrying about comparing word differencs from post visit tweets from his mom, and whether or not there was an illegal work out.

this cannot really be a syracuse forum, i must be hallucinating.

this thread has gotten so pathetic. worrying about comparing word differencs from post visit tweets from his mom, and whether or not there was an illegal work out.

this cannot really be a syracuse forum, i must be hallucinating.

No that is exactly what a Cuse forum is: a bunch of mental patients and we are proud of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom