Class of 2023 - PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, whatever it was it worked for them. But I think his statement is words. And I don’t think we are in big trouble. I figured this was gonna be a tough year to recruit because of bringing in 7 new players. I believe I said as much before.

So we are a short distance from what you could say is a massively important season. I hear the 7 new players, I hear the NIL stuff, I hear the tourney runs and sanctions.

All of that said, we went 16-17 last year. A rock bottom low in a relative sense in JB's tenure. Dasher has pointed out a lot of valid things around what JB isn't doing "consistently" that others are and the recruiting results on paper reflect it. If our self assessed highly regarded class doesn't cut the mustard and that rock sinks lower I just can't see how there is an argument left for not pulling the e-brake and making a big splash. We go all out with the thank yous and a celebration of his tenure and we usher in the next era with a loud ass bang- see the very PC comments from Weitsman to be offering "any 5 star" and get to work. JB gets the honor of remaining an annually cherished God of SU hoops as do our many faithful alums. I just don't see how there is an argument anymore against seeing things in such a light even for those of you who I know have spent a high pct of a lifetime watching the man build this program and his legacy which while mine started as just a grade schooler in the late 80s is and became more real by mid 90s it's still a big chunk of mine as well.

Last edited:
I wish he had at least visited first. Might have made it a bit more likely we pick him up as a transfer after his freshman year.…

JB has gotten to the point that he believes his own BS. Not a good place to be. Time to work on the putting
This is actually the problem right here. He still thinks the recruiting of 2002 will work today

who is to say how long it takes to develop a deep relationship. Some people get married after knowing the other person for a very short time. Whatever it was, it worked for them. And obviously, not for us. Honest to God, I think we are in big trouble.
I think we've been in trouble since JB screwed Hop over.

When was the last time we saw an all hands on deck recruiting photo like this from our staff?

And these are the guys who likely don’t even need to put in the effort!

And the little things count. In the Williams family photo yesterday the parents were not wearing any gear like they did in the previous visits he went on.

Drew wasn’t a backup. He was desperation. You aren’t getting guys we spend a couple weeks watching.
Providence had only recruited him for a couple of months. Very different than our staff recruiting JP and Reid for over a year—and being the first to offer JP. And we blew both of those recruitments. From what Dasher said, the staff thought Drew would take all his visits. It sounds like the uncertainty surrounding JB’s future and/or not having a succession plan is what’s really hurting us.

Last edited:
Providence had only recruited him for a couple of months. Very different than our staff recruiting JP and Reid for over a year—and being the first to offer JP. And we blew both of those recruitments. From what Dasher said, the staff thought Drew would take all his visits. It sounds like the uncertainty surrounding JB’s future and/or not having a succession plan is what’s really hurting us.
I’ve noted previously that JBs future is a killer fo us on the trail. But there is more here than that. JP was a pure last minute NIL deal. Reid was a colossal . Providence had a distinct advantage here out of the gate and Ed going to CA slammed
The door shut

any comment from the forever JB crowd?

At the end of last season, when we finished below .500 -- there was a big division on this forum between those who appreciated JB but wanted him to step aside, and those who felt that he'd earned the right to stick around as long as he wanted to.

The latter crowd is now seeing what the former crowd was worried about. The cracks in the foundation get worse and worse every year. Him sticking around in perpetuity is actually HARMING the program.

Because it's all he knows.

Because he's a little afraid to let go.

Because he isn't ready to retire, despite his age.

Because he can, since the AD isn't making the decision for him.
He still an Employee of the university
We made no post season anything
His seat should be boiling hot and it’s problem that needs to be resolved

I’ve noted previously that JBs future is a killer fo us on the trail. But there is more here than that. JP was a pure last minute NIL deal. Reid was a colossal . Providence had a distinct advantage here out of the gate and Ed going to CA slammed
The door shut
Is that “distinct advantage” being a Catholic school? Someone else on here alluded to that fact.

Because it's all he knows.

Because he's a little afraid to let go.

Because he isn't ready to retire, despite his age.

Because he can, since the AD isn't making the decision for him.
RF, do you think the board of trustees is also partly to blame? Obviously JB’s unwillingness to step aside and start the transition is the key issue, and everyone is held hostage by that. But Jake, possibly Dasher and others have indicated that the BOT may be divided on whether to make Autry the designated successor or go with an outside hire after JB retires or even hire Hop (if he turns it around at UW). I wonder if Wildhack not being able to get some consensus among the BOT is part of the problem. It sounds like some power brokers have been reluctant to publicly announce Autry (or god forbid Gmac) as JB’s successor, which would give current recruits clarity on the post-JB future. It’s really unfortunate that Hop has struggled the past few years at UW and we don’t have an obvious successor (with head coaching experience) like him waiting in the wings. I’m rooting like hell for him to turn it around at UW this season.

any comment from the forever JB crowd?
I’m not a forever JB, but are we going to let him go out on his terms or are we going to run him out of town with pitchforks? Losing this kid isn’t the end of the world. There will be others. I’m pretty sure JW is aware of what’s going on with the basketball program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom