Class of 2023 - PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned in the other threads the big concern I had for this class is lack of options. We literally had NO backup plan. Fielder was
Land the plane in the Hudson plan
I thought the backup plan to Estrella was Drew. They pivoted fast and had been checking out the kid during the summer. But now we’re losing out on our backup plans. Because JB won’t put on the full court press and jump on the jet. Or just retire already.

Last edited:
I don't think that is true at all. I think it is simply our ass'ts are forced to recruit against the other teams Head Coach's. I don't think any ass'ts would hold up very well in that situation.
Hop would

It seems our program is fundamentally broken. JB appears to be operating in his own universe.

I hate when people shoot the messenger, and I appreciate when people with insider contacts bring news and updates to the board.

But lately, there have been a few posters who parrot third-hand information, and present opinionist backed about how things will occur. I don't doubt the veracity of the contacts, or the belief on the part of the coaching staff that certain scenarios will unfold a certain way. But in light of how incredibly wrong they are 99% of the time, I take all of those updates with a massive grain of salt.

Because as you point out, the coaches have a piss poor recent track record of being right about such subjects.

Every year with JB is a year wasted. Let’s start the rebuild. It’s inevitable. Why waste time just because JB isn’t ready to give it up.
This hurts to see. It hurts to see JB coaching on fumes and it hurts to see our proud basketball legacy get tarnished.
Come on JW…

I don't think that is true at all. I think it is simply our ass'ts are forced to recruit against the other teams Head Coach's. I don't think any ass'ts would hold up very well in that situation.
I think that the team managers should be held responsible too, maybe even the cheerleaders.

Generalization: No kid from that mushy middle wants to commit to a coach who might not be there in 6 months. The one & dones dont care and the non-top 100 are just looking for the best program that will take them. And when a coach is blas, they are going to feel more confident elsewhere.

Words.

2 weeks ago he didn’t even want to visit Providence. They must have developed that deep relationship last week.
Maybe. But SU is not at the point as a program where they can start to seriously recruit a kid as
a second choice where their first choice commits elsewhere on 9/2, and then expect him to jump
at their offer. A few years back they tried that same tactic with Quincy Ballard, recruiting him a
week before committing date, and hoping that he'd jump cuz he was originally from the CNY area
and worked with Edelin. Years back, sure, but not now.

PC's been on him for a few months, and maybe not as a "we're recruiting someone else right
now, if he doesn't choose us, we'll talk." Not every kid is a Hakim Warrick.

PC's got two four star kids for 2023? Great.

Words.

2 weeks ago he didn’t even want to visit Providence. They must have developed that deep relationship last week.
who is to say how long it takes to develop a deep relationship. Some people get married after knowing the other person for a very short time. Whatever it was, it worked for them. And obviously, not for us. Honest to God, I think we are in big trouble.

who is to say how long it takes to develop a deep relationship. Some people get married after knowing the other person for a very short time. Whatever it was, it worked for them. And obviously, not for us. Honest to God, I think we are in big trouble.

Yes, whatever it was it worked for them. But I think his statement is words. And I don’t think we are in big trouble. I figured this was gonna be a tough year to recruit because of bringing in 7 new players. I believe I said as much before.

Maybe. But SU is not at the point as a program where they can start to seriously recruit a kid as
a second choice where their first choice commits elsewhere on 9/2, and then expect him to jump
at their offer. A few years back they tried that same tactic with Quincy Ballard, recruiting him a
week before committing date, and hoping that he'd jump cuz he was originally from the CNY area
and worked with Edelin. Years back, sure, but not now.

PC's been on him for a few months, and maybe not as a "we're recruiting someone else right
now, if he doesn't choose us, we'll talk." Not every kid is a Hakim Warrick.

PC's got two four star kids for 2023? Great.
If you are going to get in on a recruit late in the process, you likely have to make up/gain ground on other programs. This requires putting in extra effort and ‘going the extra mile’ to help build the relationship and your chances of landing the recruit. This obviously didn’t happen here.

If you are going to get in on a recruit late in the process, you likely have to make up/gain ground on other programs. This requires putting in extra effort and ‘going the extra mile’ to help build the relationship and your chances of landing the recruit. This obviously didn’t happen here.
I don't know, that sounds like a lot of work.

Yes, whatever it was it worked for them. But I think his statement is words. And I don’t think we are in big trouble. I figured this was gonna be a tough year to recruit because of bringing in 7 new players. I believe I said as much before.
My comment that we are in big trouble has nothing to do with this recruiting class. I loved the tv show the newsroom. The first scene of the show, the star says that America isn't the greatest country in the world anymore. He adds the first step in solving a problem is admitting there is one. We aren't a great basketball program anymore. We really aren't a first division team in the ACC . The "great" recruiting class we brought in last year, the one that JB is banking on, didn't bring in any top players other than Mintz. Good players, sure. I guess. But no one that you build a winning ACC team around. It is clear to me that over the past years, we have been out worked as a staff. Mostly on the Head Coach. We don't get our top targets any more. Could we be better this year than people think? Of course. No one thought much of Moten before he stepped foot on our floor. That happens. But right now, we are hoping for good fortune. And that isn't much of a plan. Do you really think we look anywhere near what we once did?

Maybe it did work for them and maybe his statement is words as you say. However, as they also say where there's smoke there's fire. I admire your optimism. What are 2-3 current strengths of the program? Not hanging on past successes/accomplishments. I really need something positive.

I thought the backup plan to Estrella was Drew. They pivoted fast and had been checking out the kid during the summer. But now we’re losing out on our backup plans. Because JB won’t put on the full court press and jump on the jet. Or just retire already.
Drew wasn’t a backup. He was desperation. You aren’t getting guys we spend a couple weeks watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom