Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am safe in saying both our centers right now today is better than OO.
I'm sure both of them is.
But, neither is super safe from being yanked a minute into any game, and i don't feel super comfortable about the health of either of them. I would hope that OO would be a better option than Marek.

I'm sure both of them is.
But, neither is super safe from being yanked a minute into any game, and i don't feel super comfortable about the health of either of them. I would hope that OO would be a better option than Marek.

Do you know what jb told the kid about sids health? And if jb pulls Chewy a few mins into the game, he’d go with sid. It’s not a stretch to think OO might feel as the 3rd center this year he wouldn’t be playing.

Do you know what jb told the kid about sids health? And if jb pulls Chewy a few mins into the game, he’d go with sid. It’s not a stretch to think OO might feel as the 3rd center this year he wouldn’t be playing.
Maybe JB lied to the kid about his minutes like Coach K does

I think you’re contriving an argument here when there isn’t one.
I’m merely suggesting a rationale for how Osun can see himself getting minutes next year. If Sidibe’s tendinitis isn’t ‘cured,’ I’d hope Osun would be a better option than Marek. That’s the extent of it. Neither of our centers is so good (yet) or health-proven (yet) that we should consider them a lock for 30 minutes a game. And if neither is that dude, there’s room for a third to not expect to be entirely bench-bound.

It's not just what JB told him, but also what he looks at the situation and sees for himself (correctly or incorrectly).

I think you’re contriving an argument here when there isn’t one.
I’m merely suggesting a rationale for how Osun can see himself getting minutes next year. If Sidibe’s tendinitis isn’t ‘cured,’ I’d hope Osun would be a better option than Marek. That’s the extent of it. Neither of our centers is so good (yet) or health-proven (yet) that we should consider them a lock for 30 minutes a game. And if neither is that dude, there’s room for a third to not expect to be entirely bench-bound.

Contrived? You’re assuming they might get hurt...before they do. You’re assuming they’ll get pulled before they do. No recruit is going to make their decision based on those kind of assumptions. If he’s a kid that wants to play right now and maybe even start, he’s going to look at our roster and say hmmmmm. If he wants to come in, probably work his way up the ladder, play in the best league in the country against the best players, play for a great staff and a HOF coach and play in front of large crowds, then he’ll come here.,

I said this before, and I'll say it again... if we lose Osun, it's not the end of the world. He's not a make it or break it recruit. BUT, under no circumstances should it be acceptable to lose a recruit (if that happens) to a team like St Bonaventure. Chewy and Sidibe IF HEALTHY will be fine next season. That, however, is a really big question mark. Osun would be very helpful if we landed him, and it's not a stretch to say that he could receive playing time next season with Sidibe's status. IMO this would be a big time flop if we don't get a committment from Osun on Monday.

I said this before, and I'll say it again... if we lose Osun, it's not the end of the world. He's not a make it or break it recruit. BUT, under no circumstances should it be acceptable to lose a recruit (if that happens) to a team like St Bonaventure. Chewy and Sidibe IF HEALTHY will be fine next season. That, however, is a really big question mark. Osun would be very helpful if we landed him, and it's not a stretch to say that he could receive playing time next season with Sidibe's status. IMO this would be a big time flop if we don't get a committment from Osun on Monday.

I mean some kids don't want to come into a program where they MIGHT get playing time if something happens to one of the guys slated to get minutes.

Its really not that big a stretch for him to go to Bonaventure.

How do you account for the lasalle asst getting hired by st Bonnie?

I think I am safe in saying both our centers right now today is better than OO.
Assuming they're in the game. History teaches that there will be opportunities -we've had foul trouble at that position and injuries going back to Arinze. It's really an ideal situation to develope in.

Last edited:
I mean some kids don't want to come into a program where they MIGHT get playing time if something happens to one of the guys slated to get minutes.

Its really not that big a stretch for him to go to Bonaventure.

I find it entertaining that when Syracuse finds a guy like Osun, he's labled a hidden talent, a gem, a late bloomer, etc... Then when it becomes evident that we may lose him to St Bonaventure, he's all of a sudden a guy that likely won't play much here. If he's worthy of a scholarship offer, than he has the talent to play, and compete for playing time. Is it possible that those in the "in" think he's signing with SB, and so now we need to downplay his significance and talent? Hmmmm...

That said, Syracuse did a great job getting Carey, and a great job recruiting Bazely, until he screwed us. However, it is my opinion, and only an opinion, that we should've prioritized another big man. Losing Osun, if that happens is unacceptable.

I find it entertaining that when Syracuse finds a guy like Osun, he's labled a hidden talent, a gem, a late bloomer, etc... Then when it becomes evident that we may lose him to St Bonaventure, he's all of a sudden a guy that likely won't play much here. If he's worthy of a scholarship offer, than he has the talent to play, and compete for playing time. Is it possible that those in the "in" think he's signing with SB, and so now we need to downplay his significance and talent? Hmmmm...

That said, Syracuse did a great job getting Carey, and a great job recruiting Bazely, until he screwed us. However, it is my opinion, and only an opinion, that we should've prioritized another big man. Losing Osun, if that happens is unacceptable.

I'm not that guy. Osun has potential to be great whether he comes here or to SBU.

Just like Braswell, but I don't think even those highest on him see him getting a ton of minutes in 2019.

I don’t see people downplaying his abilities. He’s got a ton of upside. That has nothing to do with why he might go to st Bonnie.

I don’t see people downplaying his abilities. He’s got a ton of upside. That has nothing to do with why he might go to st Bonnie.

You're right. No one directly downplayed his abilities, but it's not hard to figure out. ANY player that's good enough can earn the opportunity to have playing time (especially given the injury/foul history of our two centers). However, if a player is truly a mid major talent, than by all means he should go to a school that he'll start at... aka the Bonnies. I actually think he's got enough talent to contribute at SU.

Anyhow, it's ok... I understand why we do it. If we say we're going after a mid major guy, everyone on the board will be upset that we're not recruiting to standard. So we hype up a mid major, call him a gem, late bloomer, etc. That way when we lose him, we can say he was too much of a project and wanted to go somewhere where he could start. Seems like playing it from both sides to me... but I get it.

I'm not that guy. Osun has potential to be great whether he comes here or to SBU.

Just like Braswell, but I don't think even those highest on him see him getting a ton of minutes in 2019.
I agree with Braswell. We have shooting, and two forward starters, and Hughes. Our center situation is vastly different. IMO we really need a third guy at the position.

I have no opinion on that issue.

That makes a huge difference. Relationships are a big part of the process. Mike Hopkins had developed relationships with lots of coaches, players, etc over the years. One of the reasons we miss Hopkins most, IMO.

You're right. No one directly downplayed his abilities, but it's not hard to figure out. ANY player that's good enough can earn the opportunity to have playing time (especially given the injury/foul history of our two centers). However, if a player is truly a mid major talent, than by all means he should go to a school that he'll start at... aka the Bonnies. I actually think he's got enough talent to contribute at SU.

Anyhow, it's ok... I understand why we do it. If we say we're going after a mid major guy, everyone on the board will be upset that we're not recruiting to standard. So we hype up a mid major, call him a gem, late bloomer, etc. That way when we lose him, we can say he was too much of a project and wanted to go somewhere where he could start. Seems like playing it from both sides to me... but I get it.

Nonsense. This kid is being hyped because he has the attributes to excel and be a quality starter in our system. No more, no less. He's not a mid major -- he's a kid who could be a multi-year starter, and has all the tools we look for in our bigs.

The thing that people seem to be overlooking is that he's free to choose wherever he'd like to go to school. There's no obligation on his part to pick the "best" offer or the "best" program relative to the others, even though that's the outcome many of us would like to see. Truth be told, there are compelling factors that could steer him toward any of the top three schools on his list -- it is entirely up to him which evaluative criteria he chooses to emphasize.

Nonsense. This kid is being hyped because he has the attributes to excel and be a quality starter in our system. No more, no less. He's not a mid major -- he's a kid who could be a multi-year starter, and has all the tools we look for in our bigs.

The thing that people seem to be overlooking is that he's free to choose wherever he'd like to go to school. Truth be told, there are compelling factors that could steer him toward any of the top three schools on his list -- it is entirely up to him which evaluative criteria he chooses to emphasize.
If he has the atributes to excel and be a quality starter in our system, under NO circumstances (free will or not) should we lose this recruiting battle. NONE.

If he has the atributes to excel and be a quality starter in our system, under NO circumstances (free will or not) should we lose this recruiting battle. NONE.

I don't think you understand how recruiting works. It's not up to the coaching staff -- they made a strong pitch, but ultimately it is up to the kid. I don't even understand the logic of what you say above, frankly -- as those two things don't seem related.

I certainly hope that we don't lose a kid to St. Bonaventure, but there are reasons why he might choose to go there. Or Georgetown.

Dude they have Lasalle guys on staff at SBU. We JUST lost a guy to an inferior program because of a relationship he had with the head coach who was a former assistant coach here. This stuff matters in recruiting.

I don't think you understand how recruiting works. It's not up to the coaching staff -- they made a strong pitch, but ultimately it is up to the kid. I don't even understand the logic of what you say above, frankly -- as those two things don't seem related.

I certainly hope that we don't lose a kid to St. Bonaventure, but there are reasons why he might choose to go there. Or Georgetown.
I fully understand recruiting. That said success in any industry is evaluated similarly. Do you think the president of a hospital wants to hear about the risk factors a patient had after a botched surgery? Do you think a CEO wants to hear the excuses of his sales rep? Nope... That said, I stand by my opinion here. We should not lose any recruit to a school like St Bonaventure. PERIOD.

I get what you're saying, but generally these apparently opposing perspectives can both be true. Osun could be a great find and a diamond in the rough, but he also is likely to take a couple years to develop into that gem. So in that sense, losing him now is not a critical problem versus somebody who is viewed as a ready-now starter at a position of immediate need.

Status
Not open for further replies.