Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
He would be a nice get, but can't get too upset if a 3* player passes on us. We have two capable centers, a 6'9" recruit, and Marek D. who at times last year appeared to be our best center (passing skills out of the high post). Marek will hopefully put on weight/strength during ht off season which will help him in what ever position he plays. Boeheim will make it work with who ever is on or not on the roster...

Losing a recruit to St. Bonnies...hmmm

Yes, the St. Bonnie that just hired the Assistant coach he had a good relationship with at LaSalle. Which is the school he only decommitted from because the Head Coach was fired. What's hard to understand about this? Or, are we just talking about agenda trumps reality again?

Gmac discovered him is his lead recruiter. He needs to close somebody. Not sure what the issue is or if there is one but he seems to end up the bridesmaid more often than not.

Chugg, I understand your perspective (before your time). And I don't want to sound patronizing. But put it this way: I'd be happy - as I suspect many posters would - to fill you in on a few choice GT stories that would definitely convey the flavor of the rivalry. But only if you're interested and Orange79 won't ban me for life.

Honestly would love to hear about it. I know about some of the Thompson stuff and obviously the Manley is closed comment, but that's the main thing.

I think the board understands your view in GMAC you literally said the same thing in this thread. We get it.
Just ignore my post. I was hoping that he would get a win as he did a good job identifying him.

As pointed out above the crystal ball at 247 isn't referred to as the meth ball for no reason but if he does commit to the Bonnies this will be very disappointing . Bees makes a good point about Playing time possibly being a major factor and the Lasalle assistant coach now being apart of the Bonnies staff but still this is a guy that the Syracuse "Name/brand" should get. If this Was North Carolina or Duke going against another in state school like this you would have to think they would get the kid 10/10 times. Not saying were on the blue blood level with those guys but were definitely closer to them then St. Bonaventure, this should be one where the prestige of the program and our history/success really makes this a no brainer. Long way to go till Monday but again this would be a bad beat, SU should not lose a recruiting battle to St. Bonaventure period.

If this Was North Carolina or Duke going against another in state school like this you would have to think they would get the kid 10/10 times..

Would UNC or Duke even care about a kid who decommitted from UNCGreensboro and visited UNCWilmington?

Would UNC or Duke even care about a kid who decommitted from UNCGreensboro and visited UNCWilmington?

Maybe, they cared about a Pitt player on a terrible team who ended up becoming a starter for them. Duke took Dante Jones from Rutgers, so you never know.

Honestly would love to hear about it. I know about some of the Thompson stuff and obviously the Manley is closed comment, but that's the main thing.
I think they'll only let me tell one short story. So I'll take you back to the BE finals in 1984. Ewing was GT's towering center and the symbol of its (Jesuit?) thug approach to BB -- intimidation and physical domination. Unfortunately for GT, near the end of regulation he was on the bench with 4 fouls, so GT's coach (Thompson) grabbed some huge bald dude off the bench that looked like he was just released from prison (Michael Graham). The dude immediately started throwing elbows and then, after tearing a rebound away from SU's center (Andre' Hawkins) threw a punch and got ejected. Since that could have cost GT the game, the refs decided to have a "talk" about the call and then somehow reversed it (?). Graham came back in and GT wound up winning in OT. But if you think Duke gets calls ... wow. They should have arrested a couple GT players after that game.
1983–84 Georgetown Hoyas men's basketball team

Last edited:
Yes, the St. Bonnie that just hired the Assistant coach he had a good relationship with at LaSalle. Which is the school he only decommitted from because the Head Coach was fired. What's hard to understand about this? Or, are we just talking about agenda trumps reality again?

Another nasty mean spirited post for no reason.

As pointed out above the crystal ball at isn't referred to as the meth ball for no reason but if he does commit to the Bonnies this will be very disappointing . Bees makes a good point about Playing time possibly being a major factor and the Lasalle assistant coach now being apart of the Bonnies staff but still this is a guy that the Syracuse "Name/brand" should get. If this Was North Carolina or Duke going against another in state school like this you would have to think they would get the kid 10/10 times. Not saying were on the blue blood level with those guys but were definitely closer to them then St. Bonaventure, this should be one where the prestige of the program and our history/success really makes this a no brainer. Long way to go till Monday but again this would be a bad beat, SU should not lose a recruiting battle to St. Bonaventure period.
Good post. Nice to see that you made it back in one piece. ;)

An announcement of an announcement from someone not many even heard of on the recruiting circuit is curious (funny?) enough. It culminating with the Bonnies being the winner would be just earth shaking. The whole nation would take note. Even G’Town, cause you know, they don’t just suck - they suck worse than ever. Gotta be us then.

The fact that he is waiting until Monday to announce indicates that he's doing something this board seems to have a hard time with, namely deliberating.

He's considering his options, weighing the pros and cons of each program, talking to his Mom and other advisers, praying, thinking, whatever he needs to do to make the best decision for him.

What a concept.

Since the LaSalle coach was hired at Bonnies I guess I understand why he would go there, but to lose a recruit to them (if someone can explain to me how else I should view this since I am taking heat for it) is kind of frustrating. I like Sidibe but I don't think he will hold up that's my opinion based on previous posts made. However, I was wrong about Coleman playing an entire year to and he ended up ok.

So how's everyone feeling here? Timing doesn't seem to indicate a lean in any way, at least in my opinion.

I'd bet Bonnies due to a number of factors. Hope I'm wrong -- he'd look very good in Orange.

Good post. Nice to see that you made it back in one piece. ;)

For sure, had a great time. Meant to send you a quick note but the last few weeks have been a whirlwind. Will send a message to your better half later this week!.

So how's everyone feeling here? Timing doesn't seem to indicate a lean in any way, at least in my opinion.

I'd bet Bonnies due to a number of factors. Hope I'm wrong -- he'd look very good in Orange.
I feel fine.

Since the LaSalle coach was hired at Bonnies I guess I understand why he would go there, but to lose a recruit to them (if someone can explain to me how else I should view this since I am taking heat for it) is kind of frustrating. I like Sidibe but I don't think he will hold up that's my opinion based on previous posts made. However, I was wrong about Coleman playing an entire year to and he ended up ok.

I don’t think you can call it “losing” a recruit to the Bonnies, to the extent that you are intending it to carry a negative connotation about our recruiting. We are very likely offering 2 very different opportunities in terms of the likelihood that he will get playing time both next year and in the future.

Not saying we dont want him, but wanting him to provide roster depth is not the same as offering an immediate role.

If we were both offering him a starting, or at least comparable, role than it would be fair to say they beat us out, if they in fact do.

Why do you guys assume the coaches say you’re providing depth next year??? How about you can come in and compete for a starting spot. That makes more sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.