Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can spin however you want. This was not a positive development. It appears that we no love from the Biggs since a certain coach left. Do any you of think we compete in the ACC without a post game? Something has to change .

This barley registers on the Richter scale of "As the SU World turns." I will not lose a wink of sleep over this one. Move on to next season and 2019 recruiting.

Hey, it's 7 am and the sky is still grey. Nothing to see here. Move along. We've got a season to play and I, for am, am looking forward to it.

It would have been nice to have OO for depth (C and PF) next year so let's not fool ourselves. That said, the staff, I'm sure, has their targets on X players and a big man will see this opportunity to play at SU in front of 25K people each night and a chance to play for a NC every season. Marek will now be the 3rd guy at 5 which may be a blessing in disguise for Hughes and the new swingman from SC. If Sid gives them 20 or so minutes a game without injury, this will work out quite well...barring any other injuries of course.

Im not sure but possibly because he seems to tag along with JB to assist him?
As to 2 because someone from the board is close to gmac and we have greater insight to his recruits?
Bees. Still waiting on the correct answer.

Doesn't hurt K

K offered Tucker and he took it in a second leaving SU as his second choice. Boeheim offered OO and Golden and they went to St. Bonny and Butler. 2 completely different birds. No, it does not hurt K or Kentucky or NC.

Ummmm... sarcasm font.

It was an inflammatory post that serves no purpose.

Syracuse lost a recruit to St. Bonaventure. Say what you will about circumstance and all that, and it most likely will not matter in the long run. But at this current point in time, it's the truth and is worth discussing on a FAN FORUM.

Syracuse lost a recruit to St. Bonaventure. Say what you will about circumstance and all that, and it most likely will not matter in the long run. But at this current point in time, it's the truth and is worth discussing on a FAN FORUM.

Its a (rational) response to the extreme negativity and H0T Takes that started when Golden went to Butler and extend to OO committing to SBU last night.

I think many of you claiming doom and gloom will have crow to eat but let the season tell the tale. The pop PC heard could have been anything but let's just assume it's the worst because that's what SU fans like to do.

If Marek comes in 15-20 lbs heavier, then it all becomes moot anyways as JB will use the sophomore with experience, IQ and hustle a la how he used Lydon before a freshman. Until we get actual news that we have a legit injury problem when the season starts I am not buying it is bound to be the case.

Its a (rational) response to the extreme negativity and H0T Takes that started when Golden went to Butler and extend to OO committing to SBU last night.

Fans have every right to be irritated and negative about the state of recruiting right now. We lost our top recruit in unprecedented fashion, are going to lose our top offensive option to the NBA Draft (2nd round), and now lose a kid to St. Bonaventure.

I believe we will win 20+ games next year and go to the NCAA Tournament. And we very well could have a monster 2019 class & get the kid Cockburn, making all of this really moot. But if there are a couple misses in recruiting for 2019 -- which there have been more and more lately, it seems -- then with the kids we are scheduled to lose after next year (Brissett, Howard, Chukwu, plus potentially Carey & Dolezaj*)... well. That's why people are worried and questioning things.

So it will most likely not matter in the long run but let's run around like chicken little? Got it

I think many of you claiming doom and gloom will have crow to eat but let the season tell the tale. The pop PC heard could have been anything but let's just assume it's the worst because that's what SU fans like to do.

If Marek comes in 15-20 lbs heavier, then it all becomes moot anyways as JB will use the sophomore with experience, IQ and hustle a la how he used Lydon before a freshman. Until we get actual news that we have a legit injury problem when the season starts I am not buying it is bound to be the case.

The "doom & gloom" crowd isn't speaking of 2018-19. I think we'll be better, even without Battle.

It's about the future.

So it will most likely not matter in the long run but let's run around like chicken little? Got it

I said most likely. I hope we aren't doing the "eggs in the basket" thing with Cockburn.

The staff thought this kid could help the team. They recruited him. They visited him. They offered him. They hosted him on a visit. Then they lost him to the BONNIES. You can say that he doesn't matter. You can say that he would be our third center. You can say all you want but just like Golden the staff wanted him here. The staff failed to land him period bottom line. Does he hurt this year on the court? Who knows how the season will play out. But this is a trend that shouldn't be over looked.

And people also say oh dont worry on the 2017 kids we missed out on it will open up more ships for the 2018 kids. Now it is dont worry about the 2018 kids we miss out on it gives room for a bigger class in 2019. But they are failing to see a pattern here of us not filling out the roster year after year.

Clearly the staff wanted this kid and thought he could help the program or they wouldnt have went through all the trouble and they lost the kid to a non P5 school. I dont care about PT or any other no reason we shouldnt lose a recruit to the Bonnies. People sweeping this under the rug like it is no big deal is pretty alarming.

Like I said this recruit if everyone stays healthy would have very little impact on the wins or losses but this is clearly someone the staff wanted and worked hard to try and get and once again couldn't close the deal.

No, this is a blow. This kid was good enough to play here. He'll be a key player for the Bonnies. We've got 2 centers coming off injuries. Need a third guy badly, just so if one is hurt, he doesn't still have to play.
Just because we cruise in at the eleventh hour and offer he’s supposed to throw all other considerations aside and jump. Not real world he wants to start and play immediately and we can’t offer that. End of story

He made a lateral move because he was phased out of a program he was happily committed to.

I dont know why people are trying to make this recruitment into something it never was.
I 100 % agree and I normally DO NOT share that point of view.

I look forward to the posts next spring where someone inevitably posts that OO, after averaging let's say 9 and 7 next year, should've gone to SU and that we could've used that production.

Please keep in mind that he wouldn't get the minutes at SU next year to put up the same numbers as he'll be getting for the Bonnies.

Would he have been a nice addition to the team? Sure. Is it the end of days and a pox on the once proud basketball program? Not at all.

I'm not concerned or think that it's part of a negative recruiting trend when SU offers a kid at the last minute and doesn't get him. If he was that much of a priority, SU would've been after him long before they were.

Last edited:
Why did we waste our time and resources on him?

It makes no sense.
We wanted him, no doubt. I see where you are coming from, I do. I normally share this perspective as I have said such in the past. As much as many people want to disregard the circumstances of this recruitment, I think they have to be considered in this situation. I would have loved to have OO, don't get me wrong.

Why did we waste our time and resources on him?

It makes no sense.
Im not sure how much time and resources we actually committed towards him so I’m sure someone else could better answer that.

However, I just feel like the writings been on the wall for a couple weeks and I didnt find it all too concerning.

We wanted him, no doubt. I see where you are coming from, I do. I normally share this perspective as I have said such in the past. As much as many people want to disregard the circumstances of this recruitment, I think they have to be considered in this situation. I would have loved to have OO, don't get me wrong.

I understand why he would go to there, but I also think that we should have the stroke enough to convince a kid why Syracuse is a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.