Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Donnie reminds me of a skinnier, slightly less polished Jaren Jackson Jr. at the same stage entering his freshman year at Sparty. JJJ averaged 10.9 pts, 5.8 rebs, & 3 blks in 22 mpg in his lone college season before being knocked out of the tourney by Braedon Bayer & SU :). He was drafted #4 overall by Memphis & has become one of the NBA’s bright young stars, being named an All Star & DPOY last season.

So espn, the ones we been calling out the most about Donnie’s ranking and perception, now has him highest. Funny world.
Well, Biancardi has said on several occasions in recent months that Donnie has proven the most improved player in the 2024 class and was going to get a massive ratings bump. But no Moore in the top 100? SMH.

Expectations are sky high now, if 247 puts him in the top 15 he’ll be consensus top 10

I feel like it would be very helpful for the beginning of the Red Autry era if he gets Donnie into the NBA after only one year. He would show blue chip recruits they can be one-and-done here, and also we wouldn't have to worry about him getting a huge NIL offer and transferring for his sophomore year before going to the NBA. We need more Orange in the NBA.

Great point! This is a huge year for both programs.

That can’t be right. I keep reading he is not a difference maker and we should not have lost Brown to start Donnie.

Well, Benny ended up 32nd in his class per ESPN.
(and was rated higher elsewhere)

The only difference he made,
were in contributing to a HOF coach getting canned retiring,
and destroying several jerseys.
And bathrooms.

tl/dr - ESPN rankings don’t always amount to much.

That said - Donnie is a stud.
Whom we do not get if JAB is still around.

So - there’s Benny’s impact.

Hard to overstate how massive getting a consensus Top 10 recruit is for Red and co on the recruiting trail - if Donnie can become a one-and-done (along w/ team success), it would give the program the recruiting juice it needs to take a big leap back to prominence

Hard to overstate how massive getting a consensus Top 10 recruit is for Red and co on the recruiting trail - if Donnie can become a one-and-done (along w/ team success), it would give the program the recruiting juice it needs to take a big leap back to prominence
Step 1.

The rest of the way can have some bumps. Need him to come in, play well and get drafted high. Hop couldn't get premium recruits to Washington after McDaniels whether it was his fault or not. Freeman has to crush it.

Unfortunately said about the past 30 guys we got outside the top 100 too.
I get what you’re saying and I’d agree in a lot cases because the last decade most of the guards we’ve landed were supposed to be the next best guard at Syracuse according to some here but this kid is different. None of these past kids were hailed as one of if not the best shooter in his class that I recall. He’s ranked top 75 by multiple of the other services, played against good comp and performed well, and on the surface, puts in more work than I’ve seen from any of our recruits in maybe my entire life. Kids entire focus is Syracuse and basketball, I’d bet on that mentality, and his skillset + physicals.

I understand why expectations might need to be tempered here, just based on being a freshman and expecting growing pains.

But I would be surprised and extremely disappointed if he didn't average 12-15 ppg and 5-7 rpg.

Not saying that's his ceiling - but 12 and 5 at the minimum should be the floor, IMO.

Unfortunately said about the past 30 guys we got outside the top 100 too.
This isn’t true. He’s a consensus top 100 player. One service(ESPN) doesn’t have him in the top 100 which drops his consensus ranking to 94. They also only have one guy trying to rank players so maybe they should just get out of this business. Every other service has him somewhere 50-85. I’m pointing this out because multiple people keep posting it.

I understand why expectations might need to be tempered here, just based on being a freshman and expecting growing pains.

But I would be surprised and extremely disappointed if he didn't average 12-15 ppg and 5-7 rpg.

Not saying that's his ceiling - but 12 and 5 at the minimum should be the floor, IMO.

These guys were our Mickey Dee's (or equivalents):

Billy Owens as a freshman (co-top player with Alonzo Mourning) averaged 13 and 7 as a frosh.
Derrick Coleman averaged 12 and 9.
Donte Greene averaged 18 and 7.
Chris McCullough averaged 9 and 7.
Paul Harris averaged 9 and 7.

These guys were very productive freshmen PFs:

Quincy Guerrier averaged 7 and 5.
Oshae Brissett averaged 15 and 9 as a frosh (!)
Tyler Lydon averaged 10 and 6.

Carmelo, of course, was the outlier - he averaged 22 and 10.

Now a​

IMG_6403.gif

These guys were our Mickey Dee's (or equivalents):

Billy Owens as a freshman (co-top player with Alonzo Mourning) averaged 13 and 7 as a frosh.
Derrick Coleman averaged 12 and 9.
Donte Greene averaged 18 and 7.
Chris McCullough averaged 9 and 7.
Paul Harris averaged 9 and 7.

These guys were very productive freshmen PFs:

Quincy Guerrier averaged 7 and 5.
Oshae Brissett averaged 15 and 9 as a frosh (!)
Tyler Lydon averaged 10 and 6.

Carmelo, of course, was the outlier - he averaged 22 and 10.
I think 12-5 for someone with the skill set of Donnie is reasonable.

He's more polished offensively than Harris. McCullough was hurt and barely played - doesn't count, IMO. He was also descending when he got to SU (was a Top 5 prospect as a sophomore in HS then didn't get better).

Much better prospect and player than Guerrier.

Last edited:

He's more polished offensively than Harris. McCullough was hurt and barely played - doesn't count, IMO. He was also descending when he got to SU (was a Top 5 prospect as a sophomore in HS then didn't get better).

I'd be thrilled with that. Think SU will be very good if they can get double digit scoring from Freeman.

I would be mildly disappointed if he averaged 12 and 5.

I think he'll do that in ACC play, or slightly better. His season averages will be higher because of the weaker non conference schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom