Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Donnie is Klutch…
He gone

uncle sam draft GIF

Jamie Shaw thinks Donnie is a possible USA Olympic team guy for the future as a two way player. Pretty high praise for the incoming frosh.

I just watched the news and was thinking 'Donnie' was Trump. Then I looked at the thread title and the train got back on the right track.

Jamie Shaw thinks Donnie is a possible USA Olympic team guy for the future as a two way player. Pretty high praise for the incoming frosh.
That is interesting. The guy I know who was one of his coaches for the first three years of high school said freeman initially really struggled defensively and was very talented as a young kid, but didn’t have the quickest feet. He did say, however, that he improved by leaps and bounds all three years they had him so he said he wouldn’t be shocked if that continued last year and the sky is the limit. Interesting to watch regardless.

I don’t get paid to evaluate, but based on some short clips early in his recruitment, I thought he was the best looking player we have recruited in many years.
Fluid, technically pretty sound, on balance, and never seemed rushed.
His experiences this summer should help avoid the overwhelm that some highly touted freshman get. He had the chance to understand how far he has yet to go with his Olympic experience.
I also think there being so much emphasis on Donnie may allow Choppa to ease into a role without much in the way of expectations or the focus of defenses when he is in the game.

I don’t get paid to evaluate, but based on some short clips early in his recruitment, I thought he was the best looking player we have recruited in many years.
Fluid, technically pretty sound, on balance, and never seemed rushed.
His experiences this summer should help avoid the overwhelm that some highly touted freshman get. He had the chance to understand how far he has yet to go with his Olympic experience.
I also think there being so much emphasis on Donnie may allow Choppa to ease into a role without much in the way of expectations or the focus of defenses when he is in the game.
Having a team with Lampkin (a big personality who likes the ball in his hands), Starling (a quiet leaderwho was a McDonald's AA) and Bell (fearless, elite three point shooter) will take a lot of the pressure off Freeman.

Having Davis, Lucas Taylor and McLeod will help too. A ton of experienced players on this team, including a few guys who transferred up a level when they were the man on their previous team.

This team should have great leadership for the three freshman players coming in.

Having a team with Lampkin (a big personality who likes the ball in his hands), Starling (a quiet leaderwho was a McDonald's AA) and Bell (fearless, elite three point shooter) will take a lot of the pressure off Freeman.

Having Davis, Lucas Taylor and McLeod will help too. A ton of experienced players on this team, including a few guys who transferred up a level when they were the man on their previous team.

This team should have great leadership for the three freshman players coming in.
Red’s moves to “age” his roster were subtle, but also overert. It tells me that not only is he prepared for the job, but he is confident enough to make moves he thinks he needs to make, and what happened under JB doesn’t matter.
Respect the last, to be sure, but don’t be married to the old ways.
Red realized that talent will win, but mature (physically and mentally), experienced, talent beats young talent.

He also realized you can’t be tied to talent that isn’t willing to work and buy into the team concept.

Some here may know, but I think he missed on Taylor last year. Without evidence, I think the kid was bullied by some players he was starting ahead of, and their buddies, and his confidence was just eroded. I think continuing to start him was an FU to those guys.
In the end, it undermined a pretty fragile and poorly constructed roster.

That's a really interesting comment. I haven't seen Freeman play much, but the times I did see him, he was a poor defender. That part of his game coming around would be a big deal, because I'm pretty sure he's going to be able to score and rebound.

That's a really interesting comment. I haven't seen Freeman play much, but the times I did see him, he was a poor defender. That part of his game coming around would be a big deal, because I'm pretty sure he's going to be able to score and rebound.
I wonder if it's a comment on potential.

I didn't think Freeman was a good defender either, merely a competent one. Similarly, he's a good rebounder, not great. Considering his physical attributes, his blocks and rebounding numbers didn't stand out.

Freeman is a terrific scorer, and good scoring from all levels. That's why he's a top prospect.

If he develops either the ability to be a good to great on ball defender, or a weak side shot blocking ability, he'll be an asset on defense.

Right now, he just seems ok.

Some here may know, but I think he missed on Taylor last year. Without evidence, I think the kid was bullied by some players he was starting ahead of, and their buddies, and his confidence was just eroded. I think continuing to start him was an FU to those guys.
In the end, it undermined a pretty fragile and poorly constructed roster.

IF that actually did occur, hoping that was a player who is no longer on the roster, like possibly Qadir Copleand.

I wonder if it's a comment on potential.

I didn't think Freeman was a good defender either, merely a competent one. Similarly, he's a good rebounder, not great. Considering his physical attributes, his blocks and rebounding numbers didn't stand out.

Freeman is a terrific scorer, and good scoring from all levels. That's why he's a top prospect.

If he develops either the ability to be a good to great on ball defender, or a weak side shot blocking ability, he'll be an asset on defense.

Right now, he just seems ok.

He's gotten visibly stronger in the shoulders and upper body, but his legs are still toothpicks. Now, some guys like Kevin Durant never build up any meat on the legs.

But if you are going to be an NBA level defender, you have to have a solid base, strong core and legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom