Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
No our recruiting is hurting. The past 3 years (2019, 2018, and 2017) we have had 2 players ranked in the top 100. Over a 3 year period. Carey and Goodine is it. And Goodine is barely in.

2016 we had 3 top 100 recuits. More in 1 year than our past 3 year combined.
2015 we had 3 top 100 recuits
2014 we had 2
2013 we had 3
2012 we had 2
2011 we had 2
2010 we had 3

So to summarize... you're saying this year alone, Duke had more players in the Top 10 than we've had in the Top 100 any of those 7 seasons? Boo my post, but tip the cap to the deft summary? I think I need to drink harder.

(on The Upside[tm], it makes me appreciate what JB does with what he as a bit more...still going to drink harder[test driving a "Natty Daddy" atm] though, lol).

EDIT: sometimes when I want to defend the recruiting, it feels like being the fat kid in Bad Santa who saves bad Santa from that Samir guy from Office Space at the end of this short video(I want to watch it just to cheer me up. The "recruiting" is what would be "Santa" in this allegory. ...As an aside[if anyone cares], before I banned myself from bars, I sometimes felt like a couple different moments[or had them happen] of this video when making public appearances, no joke) : (warning, language not suitable for work or around minors/elderly/Vietnamese/fans of the real Santa)

Last edited:
30 seconds to search, maybe, but how long to sift through that thread and read his posts? Regardless, it is very peculiar to say the least that you would do this. But, then again, you have a lot, and I mean a lot of free time on your hands, proven by the shear volume of posts if nothing else. Flat out bizarre.
Someone doesn't understand how the search feature works.

Guerrier, too. We've got quite a pipeline going. We are getting top Canadian and New England Prep talent. Those seem to be our best pipelines lately. I thought Autry was supposed to be strong in MD/VA and that Griff had connections in Ohio and Michigan, but I'm not seeing it yet.

We need to turn it up a notch, especially if we are on a 3 year timeline to win one last one for JB. Not getting a player like Stewart hurt the quest. We have to have one of those guys to have a chance.

This is true. In order to go to the next step, we need a player like Stewart. Next year’s team will be okay, but it will likely be another “bubble” type team with some talent and a lot of fresh faces.

how many 5 stars did the 2010 team have again?

You're right; we didn't have one. But we had something like 7 four-stars on that team. That team was all about balance, and how every position on the floor could hurt you. You had to defend all five guys.

I think someone else commented on his dad’s expression lol he didn’t look very happy

It’s funny how SU fans want Stewart to stay home and represent his state and local team but in football want South Carolina kids, Jersey kids and Michigan kids to come to Syracuse.
I wish i could SUPER LIKE this post. I understand in basketball to a extent because your only talking about 13 players on a team. So one kid can make all the difference in the world. But never quite understood why in Football we are focused on getting 2 and 3 star kids from S Florida instead of hammering the NE for 4 star kids from NY NJ CT PA like Adisa Isaac, Blisette, Laramy etc. I had this argument with people on here and you get the stupid nonsensical argument "we are a National team, coaches getting players that fit the system, stars dont matter" etc et. Etc. Then i watch on Saturday these 4 stars even 3 stars from the NE on Penn St, Ala, ND and Ohio St. Very frustrating... i guess like the 1 game in NCAA tourney that we will see Stewart and Washington. He was perfect for Syracuse zone instead hes playing in Washington zone. Smh.

I watched the announcement. Isaiah seems like a good kid.

I really wish he had chosen Syracuse but if he has to go elsewhere, I would rather see him with Hop than at the other schools he was considering. Good luck to him.

My issue here, NY state player or not, is that we’ve really struggled to recruit high caliber centers for the most part over a number of years. We’re not even recruiting marginal centers. We’ve been on a run of recruiting projects. That’s a problem and it needs to be adressed.
I agree 100% I've been totally discouraged when i look at JBA. He's not even the center on his high school team and people think he will step into our zone ready to go. Smh. It was encouraging to see us in on Quadus, Stewart, Kofi etc this cycle. Now if we can just get a post player to come back and coach at Syracuse. Hopkins was the former quard now vig man coach at Syracuse. Now we just have a bunch of coaches that a have never ib there playing days posted up or defended the post trying to teachbig men. Smh

On the subject of Mr. Weitsman:

D83051E7-7686-4A39-911F-02605CF4DB63.png
E9FA8EF7-84F0-40B6-ABC9-B629F84F7ACA.png

question, which players was hop responsible for recruiting / bringing in when he was here, i know Carter Williams, who else since 2010? not sure his record at cuse was better than Red's during his time here during the same period

who got rak and scoop? scoop got dion.

Autry - Grant, Ennis, Gbinije, Andrew White, Carey, Marek, Quincy, Oshae, braswell, frank h, Chris McC, BJ Johnson, CJ Fair ,

Gmac - Goodine, JGIII, Moyer

btw - not related - jordan tucker looked like a stud vs st johns

he was the canadian national player of the year.

And he played in the states, so people knew about him and saw him here, didn't make him a blue chipper.

And he played in the states, so people knew about him and saw him here, didn't make him a blue chipper.

Maybe, but it’s not real accurate to lean on numbers and ignore mentioning that two of our best recruits in those years were from Canada and thus not taken into account. Not sure if he accounted for Marek either, but not going back to check.

But just throwing out numbers like “189” or whatever isn’t really saying anything due to the foreign factor.

So what are we looking at next year? Absent a grad transfer...

Starters: Carey-Goodine-Hughes-Brissett-Dolezaj(?)

Bench: Girard-Boeheim-Guerrier- Sidibe

Development: Braswell-JBA

There's a ton of potential there. Unproven guards but FINALLY we have shooters. The forward group is as good as anyone in the country. Center is obviously strugglesville but if Dolezaj can hold down that spot, he could make our offense as potent as it's ever been.

No our recruiting is hurting. The past 3 years (2019, 2018, and 2017) we have had 2 players ranked in the top 100. Over a 3 year period. Carey and Goodine is it. And Goodine is barely in.

2016 we had 3 top 100 recuits. More in 1 year than our past 3 year combined.
2015 we had 3 top 100 recuits
2014 we had 2
2013 we had 3
2012 we had 2
2011 we had 2
2010 we had 3

So from 2010 to 2016 we had equal or more top 100 recuits than we have gotten in our past 3 recruiting classes combined. And we don't need elite talent but we should at least be getting top 100 players. And I'm not knocking lowly rated players. There is a role for them on our team. But when they are coming in as the primary guys then we have issues.

The past 3 year the average ranking for our recruits is 189.9

The previous 6 years our average recruit ranking was 64.6.

That is a huge jump. Almost 3 times higher the past 3 years. We are struggling to get talent
This is a little misleading. Both Quincy G and Oshae are/were considered top 100 players. But because they played in Canada, a number of recruiting services, including ESPN, don’t consider them for their top 100 lists. But the 2 4 7 internal rankings, from their own scouts, included both Oshae and Quincy G in their 100 (I believe top 50 actually). Marek had the same issue coming from Slovakia. I belive Marek and maybe Sid also made 2 4 7 ‘s top 100 list. So that would make at least 4, if not 5-6, top 100 players over the past two seasons.

Last edited:
darius bazley was actually the last one. the fact that he didn't make it to campus is a separate issue from the fact that it was a successful recruitment of a high caliber player.

How is it a separate issue? He preferred toiling away in the G League then stepping foot on campus once he became a "high caliber (blue chip)" player, which he quite wasn't when he was offered here.

So what are we looking at next year? Absent a grad transfer...

Starters: Carey-Goodine-Hughes-Brissett-Dolezaj(?)

Bench: Girard-Boeheim-Guerrier- Sidibe

Development: Braswell-JBA

There's a ton of potential there. Unproven guards but FINALLY we have shooters. The forward group is as good as anyone in the country. Center is obviously strugglesville but if Dolezaj can hold down that spot, he could make our offense as potent as it's ever been.

More then a decent line up for sure. I think we have to add a PF/C type whether its a transfer a JUCO some late guy who blew up, a Euro recruit, something.

Battle, Malachi, Grant, Ennis are all blue chip recruirs that pop into mind. Hell, who knows how Bj’s career wouldve concluded here

Status
Not open for further replies.