Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys but why would a late signing here be beneficial? Not seeing the logic. Typically don’t late signers usually add 1-2 teams into the mix diluting the odds further or teams lose player to injury making a situation look better?

Sorry guys but why would a late signing here be beneficial? Not seeing the logic. Typically don’t late signers usually add 1-2 teams into the mix diluting the odds further or teams lose player to injury making a situation look better?
I can offer this as an explanation. When you are not sure 100% that a recruit is coming to your school but, there is a chance he might, this may mean that the recruit has not made his mind up. If the recruit signs late (second signing period) you have more time and opportunity to convince that he needs to select your school. Right now, it does not appear that Isiah Stewart is sold 100% on his home state school, his friends from the Albany Rocks AAU team and whatever concern he may have. If he was 100% sure, he would commit in the early period.

Hopefully his friends and the SU recruiters can make a compelling/overwhelming case for Isiah to sign with Syracuse.

By the way, in the recent past Syracuse always seems to stand by their offer to a recruit even if the recruit ends up an injury that could impair the player’s status/ability.

The thought was if he committed soon it was because he just got done with his MSU visit and loved it there.

I can offer this as an explanation. When you are not sure 100% that a recruit is coming to your school but, there is a chance he might, this may mean that the recruit has not made his mind up. If the recruit signs late (second signing period) you have more time and opportunity to convince that he needs to select your school. Right now, it does not appear that Isiah Stewart is sold 100% on his home state school, his friends from the Albany Rocks AAU team and whatever concern he may have. If he was 100% sure, he would commit in the early period.

Hopefully his friends and the SU recruiters can make a compelling/overwhelming case for Isiah to sign with Syracuse.

By the way, in the recent past Syracuse always seems to stand by their offer to a recruit even if the recruit ends up an injury that could impair the player’s status/ability.
I think its safe to say Syracuse isn't his first choice. The thought and hope is he buys into JB saying w "he will be like Carmelo and bring a championship to us" One thing i notice, he rarely associates himself with Syracuse in interviews. Its always "they" or Boehiem says or thinks etc etc. With Mich St he says alot of "we" or "players i will". Kinda interesting if not concerning. I here Andre Jackson is in his ear to sign with Syracuse alot. I guess that means we will get AJ in next years class.

That whole thing was a pretty pathetic attitude. I wish there was more money in some of these individual sports so people of that type of mindset would pursue those sports instead.

How do you go to play for Duke, have a good season, get drafted high to the NBA and be mad about it all because somebody else’s kid got to shoot more? Clown.
Because it's your kid, and you want them to be treated fairly. The ends doesn't always justify the means.

Historically, we typically land our recruits early, or in the early signing period, especially when it has come to our best/most productive recruits. At the same time, we've not had a lot of success landing prep recruits of significance in the spring. Generally, it has been a middle of the road type, or in the past few years a 5th year transfer out of pure necessity. Therefore, place me in the camp that it's with very low probability that Stewart is ever Orange. :(

Last edited:
Either way the staff will find another big , not worried at all. Decommitments, grad transfer or a kid that blows up when season starts

We'll see.

I'm not worried either, however, it's somewhat worrisome that we seldom ever land the elite/blue chippers in our own backyard. I know we got Coleman not too long ago, but there's Mickey D kids and then there are Mickey D kids. Coleman was the former (although, watching him play his frosh season prior to his unfortuante injuries, it was a bit puzzling as to how) but we seemingly miss more than land. Yes, I also realize that kids "like to get away" but that seems to be nothing more than our MO/rationalization as 'Cuse fans to soften the blow. Whereas these elite talent types sitting in Carolina's, Duke's, UK's, KU's, etc. backyard are typically staying there. It's interesting.

We'll see.

I'm not worried either, however, it's somewhat worrisome that we seldom ever land the elite/blue chippers in our own backyard. I know we got Coleman not too long ago, but there's Mickey D kids and then there are Mickey D kids. Coleman was the former (although, watching him play his frosh season prior to his unfortuante injuries, it was a bit puzzling as to how) but we seemingly miss more than land. Yes, I also realize that kids "like to get away" but that seems to be nothing more than our MO/rationalization as 'Cuse fans to soften the blow. Whereas these elite talent types sitting in Carolina's, Duke's, UK's, KU's, etc. backyard are typically staying there. It's just interesting.
What big time players in our own back yard have we lost in hoop?

We'll see.

I'm not worried either, however, it's somewhat worrisome that we seldom ever land the elite/blue chippers in our own backyard. I know we got Coleman not too long ago, but there's Mickey D kids and then there are Mickey D kids. Coleman was the former (although, watching him play his frosh season prior to his unfortuante injuries, it was a bit puzzling as to how) but we seemingly miss more than land. Yes, I also realize that kids "like to get away" but that seems to be nothing more than our MO/rationalization as 'Cuse fans to soften the blow. Whereas these elite talent types sitting in Carolina's, Duke's, UK's, KU's, etc. backyard are typically staying there. It's just interesting.

Kansas and Kentucky aren't basketball hotbeds. All their players are outsiders.

North Carolina is a great basketball state.

That said we are well stocked to be good next year as we stand now and JB will find someone else.

What big time players in our own back yard have we lost in hoop?

I guess when I refer to "backyard" it's a broader, more figuratively than literally the SU metro area. Upstate in general though; Sam Perkins, Christian Laetner; Cliff Robinson; Curtis Aiken; Greg Woodard; King Rice; Greg Koubek, Greg Poulus; Adonal Foyle, Thomas Bryant...quickly come to mind.

I guess when I refer to "backyard" it's a broader, more figuratively than literally the SU metro area. Upstate in general though; Sam Perkins, Christian Laetner; Cliff Robinson; Curtis Aiken; Greg Woodard; King Rice; Greg Koubek, Greg Poulus; Adonal Foyle, Thomas Bryant...quickly come to mind.
Most of those guys didn't fit in your definition of Blue chip. Foyle does but as we know, that was a special situation. He went to Colgate. Not Kentucky. Perkins really wasn't an upstate kid. Thomas Bryant is a legit blue chipper that shunned us. Tom Sheehy would have been one to add to your list that is a better fit. But after how it played out with his brother, we really had no chance.

we can be done right now & be more than fine. we have a great class, just looking for some icing. would not be surprised if plan is to keep the door open for akok, isaiah or qudus but shift focus to 2020 symir, andre & big cliff

Most of those guys didn't fit in your definition of Blue chip. Foyle does but as we know, that was a special situation. He went to Colgate. Not Kentucky. Perkins really wasn't an upstate kid. Thomas Bryant is a legit blue chipper that shunned us. Tom Sheehy would have been one to add to your list that is a better fit. But after how it played out with his brother, we really had no chance.

Fair enough in regards to my 'elite/blue chip' distinction, I should've used highly desired/regarded that SU wanted. In retrospect, since Upstate hasn't been a hot bed for 'elite/blue chippers' over the years, not many to lose in the first place relative to the 'blue chip' category.

Fair enough in regards to my 'elite/blue chip' distinction, I should've used highly desired/regarded that SU wanted. In retrospect, since Upstate hasn't been a hot bed for 'elite/blue chippers' over the years, not many to lose in the first place relative to the 'blue chip' category.

Did we recruit Laettner, I was under the impression that we did not because we had Billy Owens coming in. Could be wrong about that though.

To show how much Sheehey didn't want SU, the UVa coach at his in home visit had to tell the Sheehey's that he had just hit their dog with his car.

Context is more important than the geographic location where a recruit is from.

King Rice was in the bag, for example, until Sherman Douglas exploded during the 86-87 season. Rice didn't want to sit, so he reluctantly went elsewhere. If we didn't have a better player ahead of him making PT an uphill battle, he probably chooses SU.

Perkins came along before our program's ascendance, at a time just before we were pulling blue chip recruits. If he came along even just a few years later, perhaps the outcome would have been different -- but it is hard to fault the kid for ending up at North Carolina.

We didn't even recruit Laetner, we were all in on Billy Owens in that class [plus we had DC sticking around for two more years]. You don't "miss" on players you aren't actively recruiting.

Foyle wasn't really from CNY -- he was a transplant who was tied at the hip with his guardians.

We definitely missed out on Bryant, who was desperate to put some distance between himself and his loony mother. Foyle would have been nice, and Rice was a guy who wanted to come here. Those are the only blue chip misses that I can recall. WNY might as well be a different state, given how detached that area is from SU sports for the most part. Perkins was three decades ago, before JB and Syracuse were recognized as being elite. Paulus, Cliff Robinson, Woodard, Koubek, etc. don't warrant being included in a conversation about"blue chip" recruits, IMO.

On the positive side of the ledger, we landed Wallace, who was a blue chip from just down I-90. Sometimes proximity works in your favor [although the context of his family situation is what drove him to select SU over Kansas, thankfully for us].

Not that many blue chip prospects from our area, over that extended period of time.

Washington Husky fan here, had to dig up the old log in from when I created it to ask you guys about Hop when we landed him.

First off, thank you so much for Hop. Great coach.

Thoughts here in Seattle are that he really likes our program. Apparently he is really close with Naz Carter. Sounds like a three team race between Cuse, Washington and MSU. We badly need him or McDaniels for next season as we could possibly lose our top four scorers from this season.

Btw gl on the season, you guys are loaded. How cool would it be to see a UW-Cuse matchup in March. Battle of the 2-3 zones hah. Game would probably be lucky to break 100 total points. Also kudos to Boeheim on the spark notes on our upset over Kansas.

It's not like we have a big man who is on the fence about next year's draft.
Although maybe he would wait to see if Oshae goes pro after this year.

Washington Husky fan here, had to dig up the old log in from when I created it to ask you guys about Hop when we landed him.

First off, thank you so much for Hop. Great coach.

Thoughts here in Seattle are that he really likes our program. Apparently he is really close with Naz Carter. Sounds like a three team race between Cuse, Washington and MSU. We badly need him or McDaniels for next season as we could possibly lose our top four scorers from this season.

Btw gl on the season, you guys are loaded. How cool would it be to see a UW-Cuse matchup in March. Battle of the 2-3 zones hah. Game would probably be lucky to break 100 total points. Also kudos to Boeheim on the spark notes on our upset over Kansas.
I saw husky in your name and you almost got nunchucked in the face, you don't even realize. Need to add UW in there or something.

If we can't get him... I hope Hop gets him. but rest assured you're a distant second here with that hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.