Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful. I have the exact same assessment of JBA and some people jumped on me in that post. "If the coaches like him i trust them he will beca starter, who are you to question the coaches, JBA is going to start year 2 and be big time etc etc etc". But again i honestly dont even see him being a starter ever at Syracuse unless he makes a dramatic improvement. I see him as Chino 2.0 without the muscles but with a suspect 3 point shot

Maybe that is his ceiling, but you realize you can't teach height and there are many fewer prospects that are 6'10" or taller or play big enough to man the middle. That means you have to take chances on guys. And because there are fewer of these guys to roll the dice on you are going to have more that don't pan out because you take chances on guys that are more borderline. We have always done, that sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.

Guys that I would say fall into this category over the years: Peter Wynne, John Karpis, George Papadakos, Derek Brower, Eric Rogers, Rony Seikaly (included because we didn't recruit him), Dave Siock, JB Reafsnyder, Elvir Ovcina, Billy Celuck, Jeremy McNeil, Ethan Cole, Matt Gorman, Arinze Onuaku, Sean Williams, Devin Brenan-McBride, DaShonte Riley, Baye Keita, Chinoso Obokoh, Pascal Chukwu

How many of our big men fall into the category of highly recruited big men, that you pretty much knew at the time they were recruited would pan out to some degree? I don't think its as many as people think, again because the supply is limited.

Bouie, Schayes, Alexis, Coleman, Manning (although elsewhere), Ellis, McCrae, Hill, Thomas, Forth, Roberts, Watkins, Warrick, Rick Jackson, Fab Melo, Christmas, DCII

Unless you are one of the recruiting elites UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas and maybe one or two others you aren't bringing in a sure thing big man every other recruiting class. Just doesn't happen.

Man i cant wait till JBA plays... or rather sits on our bench the next 3 years

And what if he does sit the bench for 3 years and then becomes a big contributor as a junior or senior? You aren't going to use all 13 or your scholarships if they every scholarship player you have expects to play.

Maybe that is his ceiling, but you realize you can't teach height and there are many fewer prospects that are 6'10" or taller that means you have to take chances on guys and because there are fewer to roll the dice on you are going to have more that don't pan out. We have always done that sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.

Guys that I would say fall into this category over the years: Peter Wynne, John Karpis, George Papadakos, Derek Brower, Eric Rogers, Rony Seikaly (included because we didn't recruit him), Dave Siock, JB Reafsnyder, Elvir Ovcina, Billy Celuck, Jeremy McNeil, Ethan Cole, Matt Gorman, Arinze Onuaku, Sean Williams, Devin Brenan-McBride, DaShonte Riley, Baye Keita, Chinoso Obokoh, Pascal Chukwu

How many of our big men fall into the category of highly recruited big men, that you pretty much knew at the time they were recruited would pan out to some degree? I don't think its as many as people think, again because the supply is limited.

Bouie, Schayes, Alexis, Coleman, Manning (although elsewhere), Ellis, McCrae, Hill, Thomas, Forth, Roberts, Watkins, Warrick, Rick Jackson, Fab Melo, Christmas, DCII

Unless you are one of the recruiting elites UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas and maybe one or two others you aren't bringing in a sure thing big man every other recruiting class. Just doesn't happen.
I love your post and the depth included. I disagree with the categorization though. I dont mind a "diamond in the rough" who is not heavily recruited at all. There are plenty of them. The thing about JBA is "AT THIS POINT" he doesnt seem like a ACC tayoe recruit. Thats why i compare him to Chino. That is the concern i have with him. But i hope in the ne t 3 years on the Syracuse bench he turns into a ACC player

And what if he does sit the bench for 3 years and then becomes a big contributor as a junior or senior? You aren't going to use all 13 or your scholarships if they every scholarship player you have expects to play.
That was essentially my 1st post in this series. Hes a longshot prospect. I truly hopes he works out and proves me wrong. But when i have watched his games really havent been impressed at all.

Man i cant wait till JBA plays... or rather sits on our bench the next 3 years
That was essentially my 1st post in this series. Hes a longshot prospect. I truly hopes he works out and proves me wrong. But when i have watched his games really havent been impressed at all.
How in the heck is he a longshot prospect? I have never heard anyone on the staff or anyone anywhere call JBA a longshot prospect. Are u the official talent evaluator for Syracuse University? I dont get this take at all. We can all speculate on how recruits might turn out and it's just that. Speculation. But u seem to have these recruits all figured out already on how their careers will turn out

And I'm not saying hes going to set the world on fire or be a starter or contributor right away. I'm not sure what hes going to be. He very well might need some time and that's totally fine. But to dismiss his skillset that he has at this point in time combined with his size is crazy. He has some obvious talent that is hard to come by for bigs at this age. Definitely has plenty to work on as well. Anything else said about him is premature.

And I'm not saying hes going to set the world on fire or be a starter or contributor right away. I'm not sure what hes going to be. He very well might need some time and that's totally fine. But to dismiss his skillset that he has at this point in time combined with his size is crazy. He has some obvious talent that is hard to come by for bigs at this age. Definitely has plenty to work on as well. Anything else said about him is premature.

Yeah, agreed. We’ll see. Remember when Keita was playing over Fab Melo when they were both freshmen? Melo was the top 15 recruit and Keita was supposed to be the project recruit, but he was playing better for much of that season.

I feel like it’s a good thing he is waiting. He didn’t really seem super intrigued to play with Vernon Carey.
He says he’s not totally sure which implies he’s kinda sure. Maybe thinking Cuse and just covering all bases enjoying the limelight.

How in the heck is he a longshot prospect? I have never heard anyone on the staff or anyone anywhere call JBA a longshot prospect. Are u the official talent evaluator for Syracuse University? I dont get this take at all. We can all speculate on how recruits might turn out and it's just that. Speculation. But u seem to have these recruits all figured out already on how their careers will turn out

Don't bother -- the staff liked him. They sure don't agree with the sentiment you're reacting to.

Yeah, agreed. We’ll see. Remember when Keita was playing over Fab Melo when they were both freshmen? Melo was the top 15 recruit and Keita was supposed to be the project recruit, but he was playing better for much of that season.
If JBA ever is as good as Keita offensively i will be the happiest guy in the world. I say that knowing that JBA 3point jumpshot is why he recruited and Keita had pretty much no offense. If JBA is ever as good as Keita defensively i will buy everybody on this thread 1st round of drinks lol.

I am not a talent evaluator for Syracuse University

I know you're a new poster, and that it is good to have new blood around here chiming in -- but holy crap, your recruiting analysis is awful.
I know you're a new poster, and that it is good to have new blood around here chiming in -- but holy crap, your recruiting analysis is awful.
Whats your recruiting analysis, or do you not do this a living like some of us, but rather just assume everybody Boeheim recruits will be great?

Whats your recruiting analysis, or do you not do this a living like some of us, but rather just assume everybody Boeheim recruits will be great?

Classic.

A word of advice, newbie -- you might want to research a little more so that you are more aware of the recruits' capabilities. Then your takes might not be so off the wall.

Again, I get that you're new -- but you also might want to quit hoping that recruits fail so that you can say "I told you so" in three years.

Stewart’s gotta see the opportunity here right? We’re going to be guard and wing heavy. Lots of talented guards and wings who don’t all do the same things well either. Looks like we’ll have both shooters and guys who can penetrate.

Stewart can come right in and be the lynchpin of the team. The guy that the rest of the offense revolves around and plays off of. And he can do it right down the road from his hometown, his family, in front of the biggest and best crowds. John Wallace(Rochester) is still a Syracuse legend for what he did for this program. They just showed him on TV at the game, and he’s been gone for 23 years! Carmelo obviously is too. Stewart can be a legend here.

Stewart’s gotta see the opportunity here right? We’re going to be guard and wing heavy. Lots of talented guards and wings who don’t all do the same things well either. Looks like we’ll have both shooters and guys who can penetrate.

Stewart can come right in and be the lynchpin of the team. The guy that the rest of the offense revolves around and plays off of. And he can do it right down the road from his hometown, his family, in front of the biggest and best crowds. John Wallace(Rochester) is still a Syracuse legend for what he did for this program. They just showed him on TV at the game, and he’s been gone for 23 years! Carmelo obviously is too. Stewart can be a legend here.

I hope that's how hes thinking and what he sees...but man if ik a handler/parent I'm not liking the product I've been watching the past couple years. Our offense looks so bad. I hope that doesnt hurt us but I think it does keep bigs like stew away from us. Maybe if he watches some tape of raks senior year then he might like what he sees. Gotta sell him on being the focal point of our offense and feeding him as much as possible.

Classic.

A word of advice, newbie -- you might want to research a little more so that you are more aware of the recruits' capabilities. Then your takes might not be so off the wall.

Again, I get that you're new -- but you also might want to quit hoping that recruits fail so that you can say "I told you so" in three years.
I will play along. What is your baseline analysis of JBA? What do you feel are his strengths and weaknesses? What current or past players do you think he is similar to and why?

I hope that's how hes thinking and what he sees...but man if ik a handler/parent I'm not liking the product I've been watching the past couple years. Our offense looks so bad. I hope that doesnt hurt us but I think it does keep bigs like stew away from us. Maybe if he watches some tape of raks senior year then he might like what he sees. Gotta sell him on being the focal point of our offense and feeding him as much as possible.

It does look bad, but it wouldn’t with him in there.

I agree, Rak’s senior year is what I’m envisioning. If our best guy plays in there, we’ll go to him. We haven’t had anybody to go to since Rak, other than Lydon at times when the matchup was favorable(otherwise he wasn’t real big in there), and on rare occasions Coleman when he was feeling good and moving well.

I will play along. What is your baseline analysis of JBA? What do you feel are his strengths and weaknesses? What current or past players do you think he is similar to and why?
I can tell u one thing u were wrong about. JBA as a senior in high school already had more skills offensively then Keita has ever had in his life. So him being better then keita offensively wont be hard at all because he already is the minute he steps foot on campus. Keita was awesome for us anchoring our zone and that takes some time for young bigs to figure out and sometimes they never figure it out. Taurean Thompson comes to mind. Great offense but counts figure it out on the defensive end and probably never will from the sounds of it. Hopefully JBA can be productive on both ends of the floor for us. I also hope hes used in limited fashion at first (not because of his lack of skills) because I want to land a absolute stud like Stewart that's a freshman coming in ready to dominate.

I dont know if that was a baseline recruiting analysis but ok. Listen as a alumn and life long fan i hope this kid is a stud. I love buying rounds at the bar lol. LGO!!!!!

Ajak is a lanky player who runs the floor well. He is a good jump shooter with a smooth stroke. Decent shot blocker, with long arms. Right now, he lacks a back to the basket game, and is more comfortable facing up. Range extends out to three.

This spring, his ranking plummeted due to a hamstring injury, which greatly impaired his mobility. Lots of schools were keeping tabs on him prior to his injury, but some of that interest cooled when he struggled - but we stuck with him.

The coaching staff liked him as a prospect, they did not view him as a "longshot." You don't take a "longshot"
as your second commit of the class. They view him as a quality system fit with starting upside later in his career.

Reportedly, he is a strong leader, hard worker, and get this -- he is highly motivated to get stronger and play in the post, which is rare in this day and age, where everyone wants to shoot threes. He's starting out as a guy with a nice shooting stroke who wants to get better playing CLOSER to the basket. The path that his career unfolds will largely be determined by the physical improvement he shows, and whether he develops into a decent inside player who can also shoot, versus a 6-11 shooter who doesn't do much else.

I don't think that there is a comparison to a previous Syracuse player. Watching his film, the player type he most reminds me of is Channing Frye. Now, Frye is in the NBA -- I'm not claiming that Ajak has that upside, just that his game is similar as a slender pick-and-pop threat who excels shooting from the perimeter.

It's also important to keep in mind that the coaching staff planned to take two bigs in this class, to bolster the position long term. In fact, they wanted to land the kid who sprang loose last summer [Osunnyi] who ended up at St. Bonaventure. Failing that ,they are seeking to bring two bigs in this class. They are actively recruiting higher rated players, like Stewart and Wahab. Either of those guys would play over Ajak. But that doesn't mean that Ajak doesn't factor into the team's long term plans.

Maybe he redshirts [depending on personnel]. Maybe his lot is as a quality backup, a la Keita, and makes valuable contributions in that role. Or maybe like many players he has an increasing role over the course of his career where he goes from not playing as a frosh to being a reserve to starting later. Time will tell -- but I sure to root for him to fail like you claim above -- I hope that he is terrific in whatever role he plays, because that's what's best for the team.

All in all, this class will be judged based upon who the fifth player is that we add. If we land an Akok or Stewart, then this is a blockbuster class. If they land Wahab, it is a top notch class, probably rated in the top 10 nationally. If we land nobody else, then it is still a top 20 class. Ajak is a decent prospect, and the staff believes that he can eventually be a quality player in our system.

GOOD GOOD analysis RF2044. I agree 100% on the class. Lets take your analysis at face value for JBA. In your opinion does he have the offensive skill as Taurean Thompson or Lydon? Does he have the defense or rebounding of Keita? I highly disagree with the Chandler Frye comparison. In college he was a BEAST for a high level Arizona team from time to time who could step out. But the NBA Chandler who camps out at 3point line is about what i see from JBA if he gets on the court. Outstanding analysis bro

Status
Not open for further replies.