Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is obviously my line of thinking as a selfish SU fan, but why go to UK, Duke, Michigan State over Syracuse? In those places, you'll just be another number so to speak, in a long line of 5* guys. Come to the 'Cuse and you will be "The Man" and revered in a city and its surrounding area like no other since Carmelo. With all of the attention and exposure from the exorbitant amount of local coverage as well as national.

This is obviously my line of thinking as a selfish SU fan, but why go to UK, Duke, Michigan State over Syracuse? In those places, you'll just be another number so to speak, in a long line of 5* guys. Come to the 'Cuse and you will be "The Man" and revered in a city and its surrounding area like no other since Carmelo. With all of the attention and exposure from the exorbitant amount of local coverage as well as national.
Local hero that people will never stop appreciating around here ... for the rest of his life he'll be known as the Rochester kid who became a famous SU BB player and went to the pros (John Wallace will tell you what that's like).

Last edited:

If you look at it objectively, it's not hard to see why most would choose Duke, KU, or UK over Cuse. And that's no indictment of the SU program or anything JB has built. But it's the truth.

If you look at it objectively, it's not hard to see why most would choose Duke, KU, or UK over Cuse. And that's no indictment of the SU program or anything JB has built. But it's the truth.

Please enlighten me as my subjectively for the 'Cuse is making it too hard to see why. What, objectively speaking, do those schools have to offer that SU doesn't makes it not hard? Thanks.

Please enlighten me as my subjectively for the 'Cuse is making it too hard to see why. What, objectively speaking, do those schools have to offer that SU doesn't makes it not hard? Thanks.
Those teams are stone colds locks to be ranked in the top 10 pretty much all season, in play for a top seed in the NCAA tournament, playing for coaches that put bunches of players in the NBA year after year.

You also get to play with other elite talent, which I imagine is compelling for blue chip recruits who have no fears about getting beaten out for minutes.

And maybe you don't like the weather in CNY, or don't want to play in a zone.

Probably because those schools are usually top 5 year in and year out. A down year usually means they are ranked like 15th. They don't miss the tourney or even end up on the bubble. They are the 1%. No need for a snark response regarding where Kentucky is/isn't currently ranked.

I know you're a fan but your post tastes like [Edit] blue Koolaid. Syracuse is an elite program. Duh-K's all the rage lately with lots of one-and-done's, as UK was a couple years back. But it's not like IS would be making some kind of sacrifice by choosing SU. lol. Not only would I put up our NCAA record against anyone's nationally the last 10 years, there's a home-grown attraction. Zay grew up watching SU. He knows it has a huge fan-base, a massive (and soon to be renovated) facility that regularly sets national attendance records, a HOF coach who develops players, and a program that is perennially in the top 20. He won't need to cover his face in shame if he doesn't pick Duh-k.

Last edited:
Those teams are stone colds locks to be ranked in the top 10 pretty much all season, in play for a top seed in the NCAA tournament, playing for coaches that put bunches of players in the NBA year after year.

You also get to play with other elite talent, which I imagine is compelling for blue chip recruits who have no fears about getting beaten out for minutes.

Haven't really seen Kansas do anything special. And maybe he loves the cold weather and loves the zone.

MSU just crept into the Top 10, UK isn't in the top 25. But even if they were (all year long with no lapses as you say) what does that have to do with Stewart...he's not joining the team in January, but not until next season. Same with where they are seeded THIS year.

I realize many folks (and the media is so great for saying this ad nauseam) that K and Cal are responsible for putting these elite one and done guys in the NBA, but imo, it's fallacy. If not for the NBA rule, many/most of those guys would've went straight to the NBA out of high school.

Fellow blue chippers playing with fellow blue chippers I can see the attraction, especially when playing at different positions. However, most of these guys play at different positions, and the ones that are there at the same spot generally move on before the new crop gets there, so they are not competing year in and year out against that competition. So, the fear thing is a moot point.

The weather and the zone, I doubt the weather truly ever plays a decisive factor, now the zone and nothing but the zone, I can see that being a possible drawback for these types.

Last edited:
Haven't really seen Kansas do anything special. And maybe he loves the cold weather and loves the zone.
Sure, he could. That would explain why one recruit could come here, and I never said it's impossible that IS would want to come to CNY. Just explaining why the average blue chip recruit will choose one of the five blue blood programs, which has historically been the case.

Sure, he could. That would explain why one recruit could come here, and I never said it's impossible that IS would want to come to CNY. Just explaining why the average blue chip recruit will choose one of the five blue blood programs, which has historically been the case.
There are reasons and they have zero to do with the weather

I know you're a fan but your post tastes like Koolaid. Syracuse is an elite program. Duh-K's all the rage lately with lots of one-and-done's, as UK was a couple years back. But it's not like IS would be making some kind of sacrifice by choosing SU. lol. Not only would I put up our NCAA record against anyone's nationally the last 10 years, there's a home-grown attraction here. Zay grew up watching SU. He knows it has a huge fan-base, a massive (and soon to be renovated) facility that regularly sets national attendance records, a HOF coach who develops players, and a program that is perennially in the top 20. He won't need to cover his face in shame if he doesn't pick Duh-k.
Don't think you're using the term "Koolaid" properly, fwiw. At the very least, it is missing a modifier.

If anything, I am deficient of SU-flavored 'aid.

Don't think you're using the term "Koolaid" properly, fwiw. At the very least, it is missing a modifier.

Not for nothing, but I actually thought much the same thing

"Objectively" speaking, cold weather is, or at least can be, a relatively subjective thing depending upon one's determination of cold. ;):)

Don’t know how true this is but I’m pretty sure his good friend manny was offered some manager position if Isaiah came here but I’m pretty sure that he’s going to mcc or St. John fisher. Sadly I don’t think Isaiah is coming here

I think i read that Pat Ewing was his favorite player growing up and Zay WASN'T a huge SU fan, but just a local team who he kinda rooted for. Would love to have him giving our guards a post player who can score on the block.

I think i read that Pat Ewing was his favorite player growing up and Zay WASN'T a huge SU fan, but just a local team who he kinda rooted for. Would love to have him giving our guards a post player who can score on the block.

I've never seen that [re: Ewing], but I do know that he was involved with a benefactor who was a Georgetown grad, and that he was actively pushed that direction for that reason.

I've never seen that [re: Ewing], but I do know that he was involved with a benefactor who was a Georgetown grad, and that he was actively pushed that direction for that reason.
In pretty much any interview he mentions Ewing personally and shared Jamaican heritage. Again i hope he comes to us. Here is one of those articles

https://basketballrecruiting./news/four-have-isaiah-stewart-s-full

I posted a couple of the old articles because they are more instructive. All of his stuff from this year is just "Duke says im great, Syracuse says im the next Carmelo, Mich St loves me, Kentucky has great facilities blah blah blah. His old articles before he had the pressure to choose a school seem to have more personal insight and thoughts on schools. Guess he was less guarded

Status
Not open for further replies.