Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he does end up here, it's because he wants to play with his albany rocks crew. Nothing more, nothing less
There is more:
• He wants to give his family/friends the opportunity to see him play often, conveniently, for the full span of his (brief) collegiate career.
• He wants to be the 'star' on a college team, not 'just one of a bunch of all-stars' on a Duke team.
• He wants to play in a huge environment, and not a high school gym.
• He wants more media coverage than one would get in the anonymous, drone-ish, workmanlike, Big 10.
• He wants to play for a coach with whom he has a real relationship, not just a courtship.
• He wants to be able to demonstrate the full range of his skillset.
• He wants to play with a real buddy, not just a crew of 'twitter friends.'
• He looks better in orange.
• He prefers a program not under FBI investigation and without the current stink of sexual abuse scandal.

Last edited:
Link doesn't work.

I'll just point out that him mentioning Ewing as a developer of big men because he's 7-feet tall and played in the NBA is what I've seen.
Oh i agree. Thats why when it comes out of the kids mouth himself when he can be open and honest and not in middle of recruting battles I believe the kid , in this case Isaiah

Oh i agree. Thats why when it comes out of the kids mouth himself when he can be open and honest and not in middle of recruting battles I believe the kid , in this case Isaiah

I'm also pushing back on this a bit, because I've heard that despite the Jamaica connection, the father did not connect with Ewing -- at all.

I'm also pushing back on this a bit, because I've heard that despite the Jamaica connection, the father did not connect with Ewing -- at all.
I dont understand what are you pushing back on ?? Isaiah Stewart says it himself in the article lol. Just because we want him to come to Syracuse doesnt mean he didnt say Patrick Ewing is his favorite player. It also doesnt mean he is going to Georgetown

I dont understand what are you pushing back on ?? Isaiah Stewart says it himself in the article lol. Just because we want him to come to Syracuse doesnt mean he didnt say Patrick Ewing is his favorite player. It also doesnt mean he is going to Georgetown

First of all, the second article you linked above doesn't work, either.

Second, is this the article you are intending to post: Meet McQuaid freshman sensation Isaiah Stewart

If so, it doesn't say that Ewing is his favorite player -- it says that he's "a big fan of Patrick Ewing."

What I'm pushing back on is your mis-attribution above, where you say in quotations that Ewing is his favorite player. This is like the telephone game, where the information changes a little based upon biased interpretation -- he didn't say "wears 33 because Pat Ewing is his favorite player"

He said "I wear it because I'm a big fan of Patrick Ewing.'' If you're going to base your opinion on what comes out of the kid's mouth, as you state above, then get right what comes out of the kid's mouth.

Second, is this the article you are intending to post: Meet McQuaid freshman sensation Isaiah Stewart

If so, it doesn't say that Ewing is his favorite player -- it says that he's "a big fan of Patrick Ewing."

What I'm pushing back on is your mis-attribution above, where you say in quotations that Ewing is his favorite player.
CORRECT!! In the first article he says Patrick Ewing is his favorite player. However you misquoted the 2nd artcile and this is important

It says "he wears 33 , ' i wear it because I'm a big fan of Patrick Ewing"

So the local Rochester paper asked why he wears 33 and he said because of Ewing. What would you infer from those two direct quotes from Zay? Again doesnt mean hes going to Gtown

What I'm pushing back on is your mis-attribution above, where you say in quotations that Ewing is his favorite player. This is like the telephone game, where the information changes a little based upon biased interpretation -- he didn't say "wears 33 because Pat Ewing is his favorite player"

He said "I wear it because I'm a big fan of Patrick Ewing.'' If you're going to base your opinion on what comes out of the kid's mouth, as you state above, then get right what comes out of the kid's mouth.

Mike Hopkins Player.jpg

I thought this was why he wore 33. :rolleyes:

CORRECT!! In the first article he says Patrick Ewing is his favorite player. However you misquoted the 2nd artcile and this is important

So the local Rochester paper asked why he wears 33 and he said because of Ewing. What would you infer from those two direct quotes from Zay? Again doesnt mean hes going to Gtown

What are you talking about? I didn't misquote anything.

The quote you list above is exactly what I posted / attributed to Stewart. I didn't include the full sentence, but I didn't misquote anything.

This shouldn't have to be pointed out, but that's not the same thing as "wears 33 because Pat Ewing is his favorite player" as you claim -- words mean things.

I wasn't able to access the first article, or any of the links you posted, because none of them worked. If he states that Ewing is his favorite player in some other article, great. Provide that quote -- don't change his words to fit your narrative.

That article [from 2016] reinforces what I've seen about this kid all along -- that he was influenced by several people with ties to Georgetown early on, who actively tried to influence him to end up there. It appears that he's moved away from that, as broader opportunities have materialized for the kid.

Last edited:
MSU/Hop/SU/Duke in that order...unless he decides that being close to family so they can watch his short collegiate career easier or the city rock connection is stronger then I think (he has that same connection out west with Washington though) then I think we are on the outside looking in. Or JB and staff closes the hell out of this and gets one of the biggest recruiting wins in a very long time...that is possible and we have a lot to offer this kid. Not going to sell us short but I think we are the longshot here.

So where does he end up? That’s all I want to know...
Hopefully Syr

Its important to keep in mind that was 3 or 4 years ago when he said that about Ewing so it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on his current recruiting (as i think Mich St might be slight favorite) i would love for him to come to Syracuse and if not fo to Washington lol. Do something different. Sick of Duke and Kentucky trying to form dream teams smh

Hopefully Syr

Its important to keep in mind that was 3 or 4 years ago when he said that about Ewing so it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on his current recruiting (as i think Mich St might be slight favorite) i would love for him to come to Syracuse and if not fo to Washington lol. Do something different. Sick of Duke and Kentucky trying to form dream teams smh

I'm still scared about Duke here -- I could see him playing alongside Carey.

I wonder [despite the relationship with Hop] if he would really end up out there. And would he really want to play B1G ball?

Seems like a longshot, but still hoping that the connection with JGIII pays off.

MSU/Hop/SU/Duke in that order...unless he decides that being close to family so they can watch his short collegiate career easier or the city rock connection is stronger then I think (he has that same connection out west with Washington though) then I think we are on the outside looking in. Or JB and staff closes the hell out of this and gets one of the biggest recruiting wins in a very long time...that is possible and we have a lot to offer this kid. Not going to sell us short but I think we are the longshot here.
Unfortunately i agree with your order. I really really really hope we are both wrong. If we had a post player like him to go with Carey slashing and the shooters we will have next year (Quincy, Joe G, Buddy, Hughes) damn!!!! Hes the one player we need

They only thing that concerns me is if we dont get him. Can you imagine how many 3point shots we will jack up next year???? Lol. Might be like the 1st half of Gtown game the other day...... but we should make more of them

Just to bring context to the Ewing thing. Patrick finished his playing career in 2002. Stewart was approximately one year old ( couldn’t find his birthdate) at that time and he didn’t take an official to Georgetown so not sure what Ewing has to do with the recruitment at this point.

His style of play fits MSU and Izzo. I don't get the sense he has a close relationship with our staff. Hope I'm wrong.

Just to bring context to the Ewing thing. Patrick finished his playing career in 2002. Stewart was approximately one year old ( couldn’t find his birthdate) at that time and he didn’t take an official to Georgetown so not sure what Ewing has to do with the recruitment at this point.
I think he visited Gtown 3x in the last 3 years. Not sure if he took a official. Let me dig up some of his comments i know gtown put out a ton of announcements for his visits if you guys follow that type stuff with recruits. And he also them and visit on his Twitter.

5-Star Class of ‘19 C Isaiah Stewart to Visit Georgetown

Heres another after he visited Gtown Aug 6 this year. I believe this was his second trip to Gtown this year. I know he also took one last year

Isaiah Stewart visits Georgetown, planning to cut list soon | Zagsblog

Status
Not open for further replies.