Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the article to link (too lazy) but when he signed with X he was quoted in the Cincinnati paper that he liked X because basketball was the focus of the Big East and wasn't likely to be impacted much by all the conference stuff going on. Not word for word but that is the essence of what he was quoted as saying. I didn't hear it personally, only read it.

Actual quote:
"The Big East (Conference) is huge. There's a lot of stuff going on with football and conferences and schools moving. There's a lot of security in the Big East," said Ducharme. "Basketball's the main attraction."
Decharme to X
We blew it long before that.

And Boeheim recently said “When you talk about $400,000-$500,000, you’re really talking about professional athletics." Not a coincidence that the numbers match. I guess now we know the going rate if we want to get players like this in the future.
And we either need to dump or get off the pot. Preferably Cuse starts to line up these wealthy alumni to fill the pot or it doesn't matter who our coach is.

Last edited:
I don't have the article to link (too lazy) but when he signed with X he was quoted in the Cincinnati paper that he liked X because basketball was the focus of the Big East and wasn't likely to be impacted much by all the conference stuff going on. Not word for word but that is the essence of what he was quoted as saying. I didn't hear it personally, only read it.

Actual quote:
"The Big East (Conference) is huge. There's a lot of stuff going on with football and conferences and schools moving. There's a lot of security in the Big East," said Ducharme. "Basketball's the main attraction."
Decharme to X
Thanks. Interesting take as it will never impact him.

And Boeheim recently said “When you talk about $400,000-$500,000, you’re really talking about professional athletics." Not a coincidence that the numbers match. I guess now we know the going rate if we want to get players like this in the future.
The scary thing is, Estrella is about a top 50 player. Maybe he rises up higher, but what does a top 10 kid cost you?

Syracuse will not pay recruits.
And if Cuse doesn't play the system as it is right now than it is going to be an ugly end to Syracuse basketball. We might as well join the MAAC. If all top recruits are getting paid, whether by the school or some sham third party, and we are not participating, then bye-bye sniffing success.

College sports has been a professional business for decades. The fact that the money can now be directed directly to the player doesn't make it any more professional in my opinion. Just semantics from old folks who have earned a nice living off the scam of amateurism.

And we either need to or get off the pot. Preferably Cuse starts to line up these wealthy alumni to fill the pot or it doesn't matter who our coach is.
Agreed. The NCAA, which may not even exist soon, needs to either enforce the rule or change the rule. And they need to do it now. There comes a point where rules are waived, and programs are trying to decide right now whether that's the case. Cuse is on the precipice of becoming a mid-major if it doesn't allow boosters to do what every other program interested in contending for championships is doing.

The reality is that the NCAA is not going to punish those schools in any significant way. It would have to sanction all the top programs, including the entire SEC, which would result in those schools leaving the NCAA.

And if Cuse doesn't play the system as it is right now than it is going to be an ugly end to Syracuse basketball. We might as well join the MAAC. If all top recruits are getting paid, whether by the school or some sham third party, and we are not participating, then bye-bye sniffing success.

Oh well. But most schools aren’t paying players. Just the ones that paid players prior to NIL. And the “system” right now is that paying recruits to attend your school is illegal.

The scary thing is, Estrella is about a top 50 player. Maybe he rises up higher, but what does a top 10 kid cost you?
Probably about as much as they did before NIL. Just now everyone knows about it and it's not being funneled through handlers and parents with no-show jobs and free houses.

Oh well. But most schools aren’t paying players. Just the ones that paid players prior to NIL. And the “system” right now is that paying recruits to attend your school is illegal.
It's happening and the schools participating are the ones that are winning. Like I said, it might be a sham third party writing the checks, or delivering the bags, but it's happening. And more schools than ever are participating.

You can keep trying to die on this hill Bees, but your understanding on this is wrong and you're playing semantics. People are using "schools" as shorthand for the "booster/alumni network loosely associated with the school's athletic department", school is just easier to type and say.

I'm not even sure this is a bad thing. Shouldn't someone who "invests" more into an endeavor, benefit more than someone who doesn't or can't? Just because we can't seemingly compete in NIL, no reason to poo poo it.

investing $400-500K on a college recruit to play one year does not guarantee anything other than the recruit will attend your school. There is no guarantee the recruit will live up to his pre-college expectations or even matriculate at a college. The player could be a one and done for a number of reasons. Pay a going rate or inflated rate with no guarantee makes no sense. If anyone gives a recruit that money, then the recruit should pay for tuition and room and board (lol).

Does this qualify as reportable income? If it does, the recruit won’t be eligible for the loan forgiveness act.

still believe that boosters should be not allowed in college sports.

Last edited:
You can keep trying to die on this hill Bees, but your understanding on this is wrong and you're playing semantics. People are using "schools" as shorthand for the "booster/alumni network loosely associated with the school's athletic department", school is just easier to type and say.

Boosters can’t pay players either. Not saying they’ll do a damn thing but why did the ncaa send a letter to all schools looking for info on schools paying recruits. It’s illegal no matter how you try to spin it.

People are being too literal. Cuse knows where to point people.

Boosters can’t pay players either. Not saying they’ll do a damn thing but why did the ncaa send a letter to all schools looking for info on schools paying recruits. It’s illegal no matter how you try to spin it.
The paper tiger that is the ncaa has been huffing and puffing for years, and right now they’re about out of breath.
They threaten, cajol, intimidate, but everyone knows what’s up. The Big II don’t have much to worry about- & certain select blue bloods and most ACC/PAC/BigXII members, are pretty safe as well, IMO.
I’ll lay odds Kansas and Self will get nothing, nada, nyet, zilch in terms of punishment- and certainly nothing that will threaten their 2022 NC.
So the real question is- do we fade into further mediocrity, or enter the fray and take care of business like most of our peers are doing?
The moral high ground is irrelevant, imo. And note, I’m not talking outright cheating. Let’s just say we massage the methodology to get to a point where we can be competitive in recruiting again…Y’know, like we’ve done from time to time in the past? We’re to the point where we either adapt, or die. JMHO

Aren't collectives just legal avenues for Boosters to give money to players/recruits through NIL deals?

I thought that it was either the coach or the collective that decides where the money goes. The coach gives direction to the collective to give $X NIL to a specific player/recruit or the collective/booster can separately negotiate NIL deals with a prospective player/recruit (even during the dead recruiting period). For HS kids, I'm assuming that the deal is that they are promised $X NIL once they arrive to campus.

Aren't collectives just legal avenues for Boosters to give money to players/recruits through NIL deals?

I thought that it was either the coach or the collective that decides where the money goes. The coach gives direction to the collective to give $X NIL to a specific player/recruit or the collective/booster can separately negotiate NIL deals with a prospective player/recruit (even during the dead recruiting period). For HS kids, I'm assuming that the deal is that they are promised $X NIL once they arrive to campus.
That's the way it seems to be going down. I don't know if there is some sort of contract, but if there is, it can't say that attending a certain school is required. But, they can get creative and say that the person has to live in a certain area or something like that. Obviously, they verbally make sure the athlete is aware that attending the school is required.

That's the way it seems to be going down. I don't know if there is some sort of contract, but if there is, it can't say that attending a certain school is required. But, they can get creative and say that the person has to live in a certain area or something like that. Obviously, they verbally make sure the athlete is aware that attending the school is required.
Actually you might be right, I don't think NIL deals can be tied to a school specifically. So for HS kids/transfers, its here is some NIL money with the hopes they make it to campus or they get paid once they get to campus.

Last edited:

I thought that it was either the coach or the collective that decides where the money goes. The coach gives direction to the collective to give $X NIL to a specific player/recruit or the collective/booster can separately negotiate NIL deals with a prospective player/recruit (even during the dead recruit period). For HS kids, I'm assuming that the deal is that they are promised $X NIL once they arrive to campus.
Players and recruits are two different things. Boosters / collectives can pay current players in exchange for services. They cannot pay recruits contingent on signing with a specified school, nor can they induce transfers by offering NIL money. They also cannot offer deals contingent on the individual player remaining enrolled at a given school.That is the letter of the law. It is clearly being violated in some cases. When a recruit concurrently announces a commitment and an NIL deal in the same breath things are pretty blatant. And the NCAA is barking that they will address those violations in a timely manner. Now we will see if they bite or fade away into complete irrelevance.

Players and recruits are two different things. Boosters / collectives can pay current players in exchange for services. They cannot pay recruits contingent on signing with a specified school, nor can they induce transfers by offering NIL money. They also cannot offer deals contingent on the individual player remaining enrolled at a given school.That is the letter of the law. It is clearly being violated in some cases. When a recruit concurrently announces a commitment and an NIL deal in the same breath things are pretty blatant. And the NCAA is barking that they will address those violations in a timely manner. Now we will see if they bite or fade away into complete irrelevance.
NIL deals aren’t tied to specific schools / not pay for play so the argument is that these current deals “technically” aren’t doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom