Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t wait for all NIL, conference, etc bullshit settles into the middle ground in next 10-20 years and all the idiot extremist on both sides look even more stupid. Imma enjoy the show while everyone spews nonsense though.

He gave a couple of reasons, in his own words, including stability. It is no secret that Clemson, Miami, FSU and others will probably receive richer offers. Football rules.
Bottom line is that a Cuse basketball offer is no longer what it once was. As a fringe top 100 player, in the old days, he might not even have been offered.
This is factually not true. You either don’t know the story or are purposely ignoring It because it doesn’t satisfy your narrative.

We had plenty of borderline top 100 guys on the team when we were winning 30 games a year a decade ago and two decades ago. We always have.

Cuse basketball is no longer what it was because of the coach. Everything else you guys offer in here is noise because some don’t want to admit having an 80 year old coach who won’t change is a problem.

This is such a no-brainer that it makes me chuckle when it’s brought up…again!
We. Had. No. Choice.
Last I checked the NBE was making like $9 million per school. It would’ve been a fireable offense to refuse an ACC invite.
As an ACC member, we can always work and get the program back to winning ways. But once you’re stuck in sub-P3/P2 (B1G & SEC) territory, they’d be no way to survive. That’s the reality.
Football would have been in big trouble without the ACC. However, the ACC is not as stable as it was. Basketball would have been fine in the Big East. Big East bottom feeders now top us. The ACC bought time for the football team while costing the basketball program but during that time the football team fumbled its future away.
If the ACC falls apart might the remnants go basketball heavy and the ACC merge with the Big East? Stick around, change is in the air.

I can’t wait for all NIL, conference, etc bullshit settles into the middle ground in next 10-20 years and all the idiot extremist on both sides look even more stupid. Imma enjoy the show while everyone spews nonsense though.
Listen, it doesn't take me nearly that long to look stupider.

Football would have been in big trouble without the ACC. However, the ACC is not as stable as it was. Basketball would have been fine in the Big East. Big East bottom feeders now top us. The ACC bought time for the football team while costing the basketball program but during that time the football team fumbled its future away.
If the ACC falls apart might the remnants go basketball heavy and the ACC merge with the Big East? Stick around, change is in the air.
Our realignment test case/doppelgänger is UConn. Regardless of what UConn does moving forward, there’s no way they’re in a better position than us.
We’re in the P5 (-2), making upwards of $40+ million, while G5 teams are scratching double digits.
Again, a fireable offense if we refused the invite. Regardless of whatever change is on the menu, I’d rather be a struggling program with a seat at the table, than an also ran looking in from the outside. JMHO

Last edited:
So you’re proposal is that SU should cheat and not follow the NIL rules. Then what happens IF SU were to get caught and nailed? Then everyone can blame JB and JW. Sounds like the perfect plan for some.
No one is proposing anything. It is just a fact of what is happening. Whether Syracuse uses this is open to debate, I have no idea. It is obvious others are(i.e. Tennesee). NCAA ability to enforce recruiting rules has gone from sketchy to unenforceable with NIL. Any semblance of not paying for recruits is out the window, the only question is who pays, how much, and how often.

This is factually not true. You either don’t know the story or are purposely ignoring It because it doesn’t satisfy your narrative.

We had plenty of borderline top 100 guys on the team when we were winning 30 games a year a decade ago and two decades ago. We always have.

Cuse basketball is no longer what it was because of the coach. Everything else you guys offer in here is noise because some don’t want to admit having an 80 year old coach who won’t change is a problem.
Go find a new team because he will retire when ready so please hold your breaths we do not have to hear your clueless calm

He gave a couple of reasons, in his own words, including stability. It is no secret that Clemson, Miami, FSU and others will probably receive richer offers. Football rules.
Bottom line is that a Cuse basketball offer is no longer what it once was. As a fringe top 100 player, in the old days, he might not even have been offered.
I loved being In the BE for basketball until they brought in all of the new schools. That changed everything. Even JB agreed it was not the same. Syracuse basketball isn’t what it used to be for one reason. They don’t win at the level we were all used to. As a result they are seldom ranked, get little national attention and going to the NCAA tournament is no longer a given. Those are not very compelling attributes to attract recruits. It’s nothing related to geography. Duke, NC and even Florida St don’t seem to have issues recruiting the Metro NY and DMV areas. We used to recruit well in those areas especially Baltimore. Syracuse basketball went to the ACC as a potential challenger to NC and Duke but has done little after the first year. JB built Syracuse into a national brand and deserves all of the credit for doing so. Things have changed over the past 8-10 years. As the head coach, he is responsibile for that too. Moving back to the NBE with a P5 football program is not an option. As for the ACC, Clemson’s not going anywhere. The ACC will be together at least until 2035 due to the grant of rights clause.

Last edited:
It's time to move on, hit the reset button and fawn/obsess over the new recruits offered scholarships over the weekend. I believe some are already scheduled for official visits and are excited about the offer, I believe we are looking good, the program is on the rise again... rinse, cycle, repeat.

We’d be just like UConn right now.

Spoiler - that is NOT a good thing.
Is it not a good thing? They’ve been pretty good in recruiting with at least some kind of upward trajectory. While also snagging some of our favorite regional targets

We badly need this class and this season, not next year or so on to be a major improvement. I'd like to see this program still be a true threat to win a title once or twice a decade and regularly be a top 25 team.

I agree wholeheartedly. This year he has to play 10 guys, not 7 or 8, if he wants to see who really has the ability to help us win games. He also has to do this to keep the young talent on the roster for whoever the next coach is going to be.

The big question is, "Can he do it?" I think after he was indulged to coach his sons the way he did, he owes it to his legacy to really do his best to play a lot of guys, at least until January or so, and give them all a chance.

I loved being In the BE for basketball until they brought in all of the new schools. That changed everything. Even JB agreed it was not the same. Syracuse basketball isn’t what it used to be for one reason. They don’t win at the level we were all used to. As a result they are seldom ranked, get little national attention and going to the NCAA tournament is no longer a given. Those are not very compelling attributes to attract recruits. It’s nothing related to geography. Duke, NC and even Florida St don’t seem to have issues recruiting the Metro NY and DMV areas. We used to recruit well in those areas especially Baltimore. Syracuse basketball went to the ACC as a potential challenger to NC and Duke but has done little after the first year. JB built Syracuse into a national brand and deserves all of the credit for doing so. Things have changed over the past 8-10 years. As the head coach, he is responsibile for that too. Moving back to the NBE with a P5 football program is not an option. As for the ACC, Clemson’s not going anywhere. The ACC will be together at least until 2035 due to the grant of rights clause.
The math I read said that there was enough money for Clemson to come out ahead after only a few years.

Our realignment test case/doppelgänger is UConn. Regardless of what UConn does moving forward, there’s no way they’re in a better position than us.
We’re in the P5 (-2), making upwards of $40+ million, while G5 teams are scratching double digits.
Again, a fireable offense if we refused the invite. Regardless of whatever change is on the menu, I’d rather be a struggling program with a seat at the table, than an also ran looking in from the outside. JMHO
Nova says hello.

Well he was quoted saying that in the Cincinnati newspaper so there is that. Someone has their own narrative in this thread for sure though.

Where did he say that? I took his remarks to be about coaches over the next 4 years. No league changes would actually happen in his time in college.
I don't have the article to link (too lazy) but when he signed with X he was quoted in the Cincinnati paper that he liked X because basketball was the focus of the Big East and wasn't likely to be impacted much by all the conference stuff going on. Not word for word but that is the essence of what he was quoted as saying. I didn't hear it personally, only read it.

Actual quote:
"The Big East (Conference) is huge. There's a lot of stuff going on with football and conferences and schools moving. There's a lot of security in the Big East," said Ducharme. "Basketball's the main attraction."
Decharme to X

The math I read said that there was enough money for Clemson to come out ahead after only a few years.
How so? The majority of the money is in TV revenue, and the grant of rights gives a school’s TV dollars over to the ACC.

I am curious as to what your source is. My understanding of the agreement is if a school leaves the ACC, any/all revenues the school receives from their new conference would go to the ACC until 2036. The grant of rights position assumes no litigation on the part of a departing school as that could dramatically change the dynamics.

I don't have the article to link (too lazy) but when he signed with X he was quoted in the Cincinnati paper that he liked X because basketball was the focus of the Big East and wasn't likely to be impacted much by all the conference stuff going on. Not word for word but that is the essence of what he was quoted as saying. I didn't hear it personally, only read it.

Actual quote:
"The Big East (Conference) is huge. There's a lot of stuff going on with football and conferences and schools moving. There's a lot of security in the Big East," said Ducharme. "Basketball's the main attraction."
Decharme to X
Thanks for sharing I had not considered the noise around realignment as a possible recruiting obstacle for Syracuse basketball. I guess for someone planning on staying in school for 3 or more years this could be an issue.

Last edited:
Just spoke with the head of player development at Iowa. He pretty much said they know JP is going to Tennessee because of the 400k NIL money.
And Boeheim recently said “When you talk about $400,000-$500,000, you’re really talking about professional athletics." Not a coincidence that the numbers match. I guess now we know the going rate if we want to get players like this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.