Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. He’s good friends with Justin Taylor too. Maybe we aren’t getting good vibes from Bunch?

Interesting. He’s good friends with Justin Taylor too. Maybe we aren’t getting good vibes from Bunch?
My guess is that the two are unrelated. Brown is a very different type of player than Bunch. Brown is more of a high energy, interior defender, rebounder type who plays the 4 and scores closer to the hoop. Would be a nice fit with Carey.

Last edited:
My guess is that the two are unrelated. Taylor is a very different type of player than Bunch. Taylor is more of a high energy, interior defender, rebounder type who plays the 4 and scores closer to the hoop. Would be a nice fit with Carey.
Assuming you are referring to Brown and not Taylor, I agree. I like Bunch, but his skills are redundant with Taylor already on board. There is nothing wrong with that, but Brown is a true 4, and if we were lucky enough to land JJ, we would have a player for each position in this class. That is great for depth and to establish a solid base for recruiting moving forward.

Yeah I don't think that Brown and Bunch are inter-related. Brown is more of a PF. Bunch is a wing, although he's said interviews that he can play PG, SG and SF. Man, if we could land him, Starling and Bunch, that's a strong six-member class!

Looks like a great athlete, but we would be lying if we said he looked less raw than Carey. Where's the shooting with this class?

Let's hope Taylor improves his shooting over what he did at Peach Jam. He looks more like Tyus Battle or Brandon Triche than Buddy Boeheim.
Battle had a flawed stroke. Taylor is a shooter with a great stroke. I am not saying he will be a 40% shooter straight out of the gate, but I think with his size and stroke, he will be pushing 40% for most of his career here.

Looks like a great athlete, but we would be lying if we said he looked less raw than Carey. Where's the shooting with this class?
JJ and Taylor are both shooters. Bunch and Benny too.

Battle had a flawed stroke. Taylor is a shooter with a great stroke. I am not saying he will be a 40% shooter straight out of the gate, but I think with his size and stroke, he will be pushing 40% for most of his career here.

And I wasn't necessarily saying it was a bad thing to be compared to those players, but if we don't get JJ or a shooting forward I have concerns how this class meshes together. This isn't 20 years ago where you can get by with 1 knockdown shooter and a bunch of guys who play inside or just go to the basket.

FWIW Taylor shot 1-25 from 3 at Peach Jam. I'm sure he's better than that, but asking for much more than 30-35% is a lot to start.

Very, very interesting.

I really liked that we got involved with Dominick Barlow, who also was a stud 4. Looks like they're dipping back into the well here with Brown.

I think we can pull this kid -- isn't there a connection to Taylor?

Let's hope Taylor improves his shooting over what he did at Peach Jam. He looks more like Tyus Battle or Brandon Triche than Buddy Boeheim.
Taylor was being used wrong in AAU. He was their second tallest player and was being used as a power forward type. He set more screens in the two weeks at peach jam then he will ever at Syracuse. Watch his sophomore year high school film.

Taylor was being used wrong in AAU. He was their second tallest player and was being used as a power forward type. He set more screens in the two weeks at peach jam then he will ever at Syracuse. Watch his sophomore year high school film.

THIS. Also, I think he was kinda "the Man" for his AAU team, so he got a LOT of defensive attention.

At Cuse, he'll be Just A Guy for at least his first year (like Buddy was), so he'll be maybe the 3rd or 4th guy opposing D's are concerned about.

We need a hard nose inside banger and I was not sure where that was going to come from this year. If there is a match with both Malik Brown and Syracuse expectations, I hope this addresses the problem areas of inside scoring and more importantly rebounding.

i have not heard much about Malik outside of he knows Justin Taylor whom also recommends him.

We need a hard nose inside banger and I was not sure where that was going to come from this year. If there is a match with both Malik Brown and Syracuse expectations, I hope this addresses the problem areas of inside scoring and more importantly rebounding.

i have not heard much about Malik outside of he knows Justin Taylor whom also recommends him.

Read the SI article posted above. Lots of comments from his HS coach that give insight about his game / potential / athleticism / skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom