Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you are referring to Brown and not Taylor, I agree. I like Bunch, but his skills are redundant with Taylor already on board. There is nothing wrong with that, but Brown is a true 4, and if we were lucky enough to land JJ, we would have a player for each position in this class. That is great for depth and to establish a solid base for recruiting moving forward.
We will be very happy with Brown.

The pessimist in me thinks we may have gotten bad news in JJ. Puts Taylor as strictly a 2, and Hope for Bunch at 3.

The pessimist in me thinks we may have gotten bad news in JJ. Puts Taylor as strictly a 2, and Hope for Bunch at 3.

We need 5-6 guys every year in this era of basketball with leavers(Buddy/Jimmy/Sid/possible Cole/possibly Benny) and potential transfers(Frank and who knows who else).

We need 5-6 guys every year in this era of basketball with leavers(Buddy/Jimmy/Sid/possible Cole/possibly Benny) and potential transfers(Frank and who knows who else).
But you don’t need all of those 5-6 guys to be HS recruits (assuming we also land 2 of JJ, Bunch, Brown). The transfer portal is probably a better roster building tool than going after 3 star HS kids.

But you don’t need all of those 5-6 guys to be HS recruits (assuming we also land 2 of JJ, Bunch, Brown). The transfer portal is probably a better roster building tool than going after 3 star HS kids.

That's true -- but there's also no guarantee that you land quality guys who will help your program from the transfer portal.

If you do, great. But it is no sure thing, since recruiting is a two-way street. Sometimes you get the guys you want, sometimes you don't. And if you don't, then you've missed the opportunity add someone at a key position of need from BOTH the HS ranks and transfer portal, and now you've got a roster hole.

It's like in football when we have a roster need, and posters just say "let's go get a JUCO." That works if the JUCO is the right guy, but...

Last edited:
That's true -- but there's also no guarantee that you land quality guys who will help your program from the transfer portal.

If you do, great. But it is no sure thing, since recruiting is a two-way street. Sometimes you get the guys you want, sometimes you don't. And if you don't, then you've missed the opportunity add someone at a key position of need from BOTH the HS ranks and transfer portal, and now you've got a roster hole.

It's like in football when we have a roster need, and posters just say "let's go get a JUCO." That works if the JUCO is the right guy, but...
This is the new reality for Syracuse basketball recruiting. Hit the NEPSAC for high school and prep talent and possibly place them at IMG. Then fill in any recruiting misses or early departures with the transfer portal. Personally i like this philosophy and think it can work well for schools like Syracuse that aren’t comfortable with “pay for play”. John Wildhack is already on record as saying Syracuse will not be a pay for play school.

Right, there's no guarantee with the portal but at least they've shown production at the college level (even the worst transfers) vs an unproven top 150-200 HS kid.

My issue is that last offseason Cuse went after transfers with pre existing connections and seemed to settle but that's a whole other topic.

Right, there's no guarantee with the portal but at least they've shown production at the college level (even the worst transfers) vs an unproven top 150-200 HS kid.

My issue is that last offseason Cuse went after transfers with pre existing connections and seemed to settle but that's a whole other topic.

Oh, I agree transfers are more proven. No argument there.

But that doesn't mean you're going to land your targets. Patrick Tape is a perfect example -- we had a need in the pivot, we chased fifth-year transfer Tape hard, viewing him as a plug-and-play. He committed, then reaffirmed his commitment when it seemed that he was wavering, then switched his commitment to Duke on the final day. Net result: we were left holding the bag, and when Sidibe got injured four minutes into the season, we had a roster hole that we filled with a 200 pounds guy [Marek].

The transfer portal is here to stay -- has to be viewed as a new form of recruiting, and utilized strategically. But it's no sure thing -- because you don't just automatically land guys that you covet.

Oh, I agree transfers are more proven. No argument there.

But that doesn't mean you're going to land your targets. Patrick Tape is a perfect example -- we had a need in the pivot, we chased fifth-year transfer Tape hard, viewing him as a plug-and-play. He committed, then reaffirmed his commitment when it seemed that he was wavering, then switched his commitment to Duke on the final day. Net result: we were left holding the bag, and when Sidibe got injured four minutes into the season, we had a roster hole that we filled with a 200 pounds guy [Marek].

The transfer portal is here to stay -- has to be viewed as a new form of recruiting, and utilized strategically. But it's no sure thing -- because you don't just automatically land guys that you covet.
Patrick Tape was before the first time transfer no sit out rule. The group of non sit out bigs in that transfer class was really small and we sort of settled for Frank (hopefully he turns out to be good but he didn't make an impact when we needed bigs). With the current transfer portal, if you miss on your top targets there's still a ton of immediate impact guys you can choose from (even the late additions that enter right after the NBA combine). Although I do think the window enter the transfer portal is shorter going forward.

Settle?? I think they did great with the transfer portal last year. I think Cole Swider and Jimmy Jr will have a great impact this year and Symir will be a stabilizing force in the back court.

Settle?? I think they did great with the transfer portal last year. I think Cole Swider and Jimmy Jr will have a great impact this year and Symir will be a stabilizing force in the back court.
I understand why we took all the transfers we did. Jr is the coach's kid, the staff was really high on Swider in HS, and Symir asked to join the team / ok being JG3's backup / quick addition to take heat off Kooks departure.

Hopefully they make help us win games and prove me wrong but from just seeing them over the years, it seems underwhelming.

I understand why we took all the transfers we did. Jr is the coach's kid, the staff was really high on Swider in HS, and Symir asked to join the team / ok being JG3's backup / quick addition to take heat off Kooks departure.

Hopefully they make help us win games and prove me wrong but from just seeing them over the years, it seems underwhelming.
Sometimes our best teams occur when expectations are low. I remember everybody was so hyped about Pearl but it was Sherman Douglas that let us to the championship game. In fact Sherman Douglas was a last minute offer after we missed on Boo Harvey. Same with Hakim coming here after the Julius Hodge miss.

In my opinion we are building a complete team with complementary players and a few superstar players like Buddy and Benny Williams

has nothing to do with Bunch. the staff is looking at our forward group next year and think we could use a banger.
I think we need another forward regardless.

Absolutely possible Swider only does a year, Benny is 1 and done, and Jimmy graduates.

Too many people have Benny 1 and done. Let him play his first year and then yet him decide. Don’t make an assumption before he even plays his first game. He still has to show that he can play. In addition, he was instrumental in bring JT to the CUSE. I think that he wants to play a season with his friends.

Too many people have Benny 1 and done. Let him play his first year and then yet him decide. Don’t make an assumption before he even plays his first game. He still has to show that he can play. In addition, he was instrumental in bring JT to the CUSE. I think that he wants to play a season with his friends.
It's good roster management to be prepared for guys to leave ahead of schedule.

In my opinion for the players we already have, Brown is a better fit here than Bunch. Don’t get me wrong Bunch is a good player and honestly might be the more skilled or “highly rated” of the 2 but Brown is the TYPICAL Cuse forward. He’s very athletic. I really like what the staff is going with our forwards recently though, all these dudes can RUN. Brown runs well, Carey runs well, Benny runs well, if Bunch comes he runs well. Then you have a guy like Copeland or Starling pushing the ball up the court on fast breaks to hit these runs running the court or hit up Justin spotting up. It seems to me the staff wants to get back to that uptempo style and Copeland has to love this because the staff is surrounding him with players that will allow him to succeed here with his type of game. Not only that we are getting some size back, all these players including the guards are big and long. Hell you could throw Copeland at SF if you needed to in a pinch and that dudes gonna be our point guard

Sophomore game tape looks great. I can't imagine how good he might be by now. Gotta see some more. That looked like a Terrence Roberts kind of player. Liked him better than Bunch, to be honest. Bunch looked like a set shooter, IIRC.

I see what you see.

I don't think this team will be "good", unless they get around 6 pts, 3 assts and 1 steal out of Symir as the third guard.

Benny is going to have to give us at least 8 points and around 5 rebounds a game. Both of those guys need to shoot at least 33-35% from three, and hit at least 70% of their FTs.

One of the centers is going to have to emerge and give us around 8 pts, 8 reb and a couple blocks. One of the other centers is going to have to find another 5 pts and 5 reb, then we will be fine at center.

I think Swider is good for 10+, so is Joe. Hopefully both shoot 35%+. I hope Swider can grab around 6 rebounds, and I hope Joe G can produce 5 assists and under 3 TOs per game.

I think Jimmy is going to be a guy who is a utility man, and probably gives us 6-8 points, and hopefully 4 or 5 rebounds a game. Hopefully he can also hit around 35% from three.

So that's seven guys who could be contributors, and reasonable expectations for them to make meaningful contributions to the team; not video game numbers, but somewhat realistic in that they are achievable.

Now, not all 7 of these guys are going to hit those targets. But if 5 of them do - plus I didn't even talk about Buddy - and we should be alright.

If 6 or 7 of those guys can give us that kind of production, this will be potentially a very good team, depending on our perimeter defense, and whether anticipation & coaching can overcome lack of foot speed on the perimeter.

Sophomore game tape looks great. I can't imagine how good he might be by now. Gotta see some more. That looked like a Terrence Roberts kind of player. Liked him better than Bunch, to be honest. Bunch looked like a set shooter, IIRC.
Good sophomore tape. Loved the outlet passes. Hopefully has developed the ability to play the perimeter otherwise might be tough to find an offensive niche.

Granted we are looking at 2 yr old film highlights but I thought they were impressive. I assume that last year was a lost year and perhaps has skills may have slipped due to lack of competition. I definitely feel that Mr. Brown would be a positive addition if Syracuse were to add him to their team. He appears from an offensive perspective he would more than fill a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom