Class of 2018 - PF Shareef O'Neal (CA) Flipped from Arizona to UCLA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Shareef O'Neal (CA) Flipped from Arizona to UCLA

Should of went to Cuse

Well apparently he still can if he so chooses (which everyone doubts including me) or he could just put his name in the draft. I Wonder if he'd get picked.

Well apparently he still can if he so chooses (which everyone doubts including me) or he could just put his name in the draft. I Wonder if he'd get picked.

I heard this guy is going to draft him, since he knows Shareef's dad:

1579807954339.png

Seems like with kids of the ultra-famous they go 1 of 2 ways. Either they have great work ethic and drive and will push through everything to succeed. Or they've been coddled their whole life and run when things get tough. Seems like he's falling into the 2nd category. Cronin comes in and he's having to work to get minutes on a team that isn't very good and he's packing up and leaving.

Seems like with kids of the ultra-famous they go 1 of 2 ways. Either they have great work ethic and drive and will push through everything to succeed. Or they've been coddled their whole life and run when things get tough. Seems like he's falling into the 2nd category. Cronin comes in and he's having to work to get minutes on a team that isn't very good and he's packing up and leaving.
Or it could be that Cronin and his AC's were not the coaching staff he originally committed to, and so he's looking for change / a fresh start.

Or it could be that Cronin and his AC's were not the coaching staff he originally committed to, and so he's looking for change / a fresh start.

Yeah, a fresh start is needed when you're glued to the bench of a .500 team. Might as well quit on the team and leave mid-season.

Yeah, a fresh start is needed when you're glued to the bench of a .500 team. Might as well quit on the team and leave mid-season.

Do you know anything about O'Neal specifically? All I know is that he committed to a different staff than the current coaching staff, and that he had emergency heart surgery last year.

Maybe there's more going on than just basketball related considerations -- let's not pretend to understand the circumstances based upon sweeping generalizations.

Do you know anything about O'Neal specifically? All I know is that he committed to a different staff than the current coaching staff, and that he had emergency heart surgery last year.

Maybe there's more going on than just basketball related considerations -- let's not pretend to understand the circumstances based upon sweeping generalizations.

I don't and neither do you. We are all aware of the new staff and the heart condition. Also aware that he's averaging a bucket a game on a disappointing squad and just quit on them midseason. Or are those just generalizations?

He might not be able to play at this level. The off year needs to be one in which he's in the gym working hard. He doesn't have the size his father has.

I don't and neither do you. We are all aware of the new staff and the heart condition. Also aware that he's averaging a bucket a game on a disappointing squad and just quit on them midseason. Or are those just generalizations?

No, his statistics aren't generalizations. But making uniformed, subjective attributions about his motivations and circumstances certainly are.

I am certainly not defending someone transferring in the middle of the year. But I'm not going to condemn a kid who had heart surgery last year, either, without knowing more. Who knows if playing hoops is even feasible for him anymore.

Don't discount the negative impact of Mick Cronin. Cronin is the worst offensive coach in college basketball. Don't worry he'll fill UCLA roster eventually with a bunch of offensively challenged players and if he does bring in someone that can score he will shackle him enough to limit his effectiveness.

Good for him. I’m sure this means a lot to him and the family. Shaq is such a brilliant man and father. Fun fact I learned about Shaq and his kids - they do not get sums of money from Shaq until they get 3 degrees (hs diploma, bachelors and a masters). All of his children accomplish this and I would say it’s quite a family structure to adhere by.

At least he'll get his degree from his father's Alma mater. Not good enough to play at this level. Prove me wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom