Class of 2016 - PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn

So what's the story for people who have watched him: can he shoot, or no?

Because both ESPN and Skowt's breakdowns of his game say that he's a solid shooter (with Skowt going so far as to say shooting is one of his strengths) but I've seen people on this board suggesting he CAN'T shoot.

So what's the real story here?

Does Gilbert help with Giles? If that is the case then I lean towards Gilbert but all things being equal I would like Fultz better. Seems to fit our style of play a little better.

So what's the story for people who have watched him: can he shoot, or no?

Because both ESPN and Skowt's breakdowns of his game say that he's a solid shooter (with Skowt going so far as to say shooting is one of his strengths) but I've seen people on this board suggesting he CAN'T shoot.

So what's the real story here?
He can knock down the three but I wouldn't consider him a great long range shooter. He scores mostly from mid-range, drives and gets to the line a lot which is impressive for somebody his size. He's averaging 8-10 FT attempts per game in EYBL play and has hit close to 80% from there.

Does Gilbert help with Giles? If that is the case then I lean towards Gilbert but all things being equal I would like Fultz better. Seems to fit our style of play a little better.
No.

He can knock down the three but I wouldn't consider him a great long range shooter. He scores mostly from mid-range, drives and gets to the line a lot which is impressive for somebody his size. He's averaging 8-10 FT attempts per game in EYBL play and has hit close to 80% from there.
So basically, the Flynn comparisons are pretty much dead on, sounds like.

Pretty sure this guy is our only hope right now. I doubt we can snag Simmons or Murray after going all in on Battle.

Most definitely. First player I thought of when watching him for the first time.
So... you're saying he'll be a T'Wolves first round draft pick?!?!?!?!?!?

Reminds me a little of Iverson. Killer crossover, lightning quick, decent shooter, undersized, and intense. I really like this kid.
Um... does he like bowling?

Agree totally...I want to see the Cuse get back to the days of run and gun...with the likes of Sherman Douglass types...

Agree totally...I want to see the Cuse get back to the days of run and gun...with the likes of Sherman Douglass types...

I know that we system recruit for zone, but PG is the one position where we should make exceptions. Get the best lead guards you can. Period, irrespective of size. College basketball is so guard driven, having quality guards is a HUGE advantage. If a PG is only 6-0 and not perfectly ideal for the zone, so what? Get the best ones you can and recruit length everywhere else.

I know that we system recruit for zone, but PG is the one position where we should make exceptions. Get the best lead guards you can. Period, irrespective of size. College basketball is so guard driven, having quality guards is a HUGE advantage. If a PG is only 6-0 and not perfectly ideal for the zone, so what? Get the best ones you can and recruit length everywhere else.

Not to mention our bigger issue out top on defense has been cutting off the driving lane and actively contesting shots. A smaller guard if quick enough should be able to do both of these things as well as getting into the passing lanes. Sure they will not be as intimidating out top and they won't be able to discourage as many passes or create tougher passing lanes simply due to length and positioning but that doesn't mean they cannot still play effective defense in the zone.

I will say that what excites me the most about Gilbert is that Francis said he was getting to the line a ton in AAU against good competition and converting at around an 80% clip. That is huge and something we have missed severely of late.

Or play a system that isn't predicated on length/half court execution. I have zero issues with the zone, but if you are taking a player who might not fit your style, why don't you change your style a bit to fit your player. Play all over the court and uptempo. I just worry if he comes here and gets stuck in half court games we are going to see shooting percentages in the 30's and a high 20's from three.

We haven't had any transition game since MCW and Triche played together in 2013, and even then it wasn't great. I think to often we try to force player to fit our style, instead of having a style of play that fits our players.

Last edited:

Maybe a bit off topic but I remember how so many (including myself) thought that this is what Joseph was going to do for us last year. There is always next season to hope. Nonetheless, I agree with you that it would great to return to this style.

As for RF2044's comment about getting the best PG we can regardless of size - I completely agree. If this young man plays like Flynn, I'd take that in a heart beat. Our D will be just fine.

Maybe a bit off topic but I remember how so many (including myself) thought that this is what Joseph was going to do for us last year. There is always next season to hope. Nonetheless, I agree with you that it would great to return to this style.

As for RF2044's comment about getting the best PG we can regardless of size - I completely agree. If this young man plays like Flynn, I'd take that in a heart beat. Our D will be just fine.

If I recall, we were comparing Joseph to Flynn as well and people were suggesting he was under ranked by recruiting services.

Not to mention our bigger issue out top on defense has been cutting off the driving lane and actively contesting shots. A smaller guard if quick enough should be able to do both of these things as well as getting into the passing lanes. Sure they will not be as intimidating out top and they won't be able to discourage as many passes or create tougher passing lanes simply due to length and positioning but that doesn't mean they cannot still play effective defense in the zone.

I will say that what excites me the most about Gilbert is that Francis said he was getting to the line a ton in AAU against good competition and converting at around an 80% clip. That is huge and something we have missed severely of late.

Right. The issue up top this past season seemed like Joseph especially was unwilling or slow to move his feet and Cooney as well at times. For whatever reason Joseph refused to get a hand up after numerous scoldings. Defense up top was a sieve as guys were driving by them and getting into the paint almost at will.

Right. The issue up top this past season seemed like Joseph especially was unwilling or slow to move his feet and Cooney as well at times. For whatever reason Joseph refused to get a hand up after numerous scoldings. Defense up top was a sieve as guys were driving by them and getting into the paint almost at will.

Combine that with a center who cannot afford to foul :(. There were times last year where I thought so and so from the other team has basically driven right into the middle of the lane every time he wanted to. Then I was thankful that for whatever reason he didn't chose to do it as much as he should have. Don't get me started on Joseph's season long refusal to put real effort into closing out and contesting shots. :mad:

Defense up top has been subpar for the last two years. Maybe we just got spoiled in 2012 with that team that forced turnovers seemingly every other possession, or with the excessively tall MCW / Triche backcourt in 2013. But the last two years have stunk in terms of perimeter deterrance.

Defense up top has been subpar for the last two years. Maybe we just got spoiled in 2012 with that team that forced turnovers seemingly every other possession, or with the excessively tall MCW / Triche backcourt in 2013. But the last two years have stunk in terms of perimeter deterrance.

Agreed and its been all around in almost every aspect. At least Ennis and Cooney together collected a lot of steals but that's about it. SoBeCuse is right though the inability to stop penetration was likely the biggest downfall last season. Every game someone would split Cooney and Joseph right down the lane which should simply never happen.

Were there numerous scoldings?