Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Is it possible Leffew was wary of competition for minutes vs Westry at point? Wasn’t there a report about practice when Chance was recovered, about how it was ‘even,’ between him and Judah, talent-wise? Did that mean they were both playing PG? Or just that they were the most talented players? Either way, if Chance was that good coming off surgery and rust, I’m even more encouraged about our potential. Just wish we could get a medical opinion about how risky recurrences might be for his type of injuries.

Sometimes, the simplest answers are the best.

Leffew got a bigger bag, and an opportunity to play for the team he grew up rooting for. Simple as that.

Doubt it had anything to do with Westry. Although hopefully you are right about Westry finally being a "go" next season.

Other than size, there isn't really very much similarity to their respective games.

Gillon was an outstanding shooter / scorer, who didn't have an elite handle and was a minus defender.

Carlos has a waterbug handle and is a strong defender who isn't a great scorer / shooter.
I've watched his highlights and the St. John's game.
He looks solid to me. He can take his man off the bounce as he has an excellent handle. He shoots and defends much better than Judah. His stroke is clean, almost text book and he has range.
He is really quick. He's a little taller than Joe.
Between him Chance and Cuffe we should be ok at the 1.
I'd like to see another shooter added at the 3 spot and possibly another 5.
Unless we could land a true star at the point I would allocate resources to the 3 and 5 positions.

Sometimes, the simplest answers are the best.

Leffew got a bigger bag, and an opportunity to play for the team he grew up rooting for. Simple as that.

Doubt it had anything to do with Westry. Although hopefully you are right about Westry finally being a "go" next season.
He grew up rooting for Georgia basketball? I seriously doubt that. They haven’t been good in basketball since probably Tubby Smith was there.

Athens, GA is just a 2hr drive from his hometown, Hampton, GA and his backcourt mate had just portaled to UGA. Maybe we should have also offered that guy?

He grew up rooting for Georgia basketball? I seriously doubt that. They haven’t been good in basketball since probably Tubby Smith was there.

He grew up rooting for Georgia.

The same way that some kids in and around CNY grow up rooting for SU.

I suppose there are plenty of kids that root for Syracuse football that have never really seen us be good as well.

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

I've watched his highlights and the St. John's game.
He looks solid to me. He can take his man off the bounce as he has an excellent handle. He shoots and defends much better than Judah. His stroke is clean, almost text book and he has range.
He is really quick. He's a little taller than Joe.
Between him Chance and Cuffe we should be ok at the 1.
I'd like to see another shooter added at the 3 spot and possibly another 5.
Unless we could land a true star at the point I would allocate resources to the 3 and 5 positions.

I like Carlos's handle, moxie, and defense. True lead guards aren't easy to come by, and that's exactly what he is. Reminds me of a poor man's Ziegler, from Tennessee.

I think you might be overstating his shooting a bit. Definitely better than Judah, though. Carlos seems like the type of player where his shooting any given game is tied to whether he makes his first shot or two. When he does, he settles down and isn't afraid to let fly. When he doesn't, he stops shooting.

But I'm excited to see what he can do in Orange.

Other than size, there isn't really very much similarity to their respective games.

Gillon was an outstanding shooter / scorer, who didn't have an elite handle and was a minus defender.

Carlos has a waterbug handle and is a strong defender who isn't a great scorer / shooter.
Who said anything about their games being similar? My post was about production, not style.

Gillon played in the MWC, much tougher league.
Nope, he played in the ACC the year that I was referring to. ;)

I like Carlos's handle, moxie, and defense. True lead guards aren't easy to come by, and that's exactly what he is. Reminds me of a poor man's Ziegler, from Tennessee.

I think you might be overstating his shooting a bit. Definitely better than Judah, though. Carlos seems like the type of player where his shooting any given game is tied to whether he makes his first shot or two. When he does, he settles down and isn't afraid to let fly. When he doesn't, he stops shooting.

But I'm excited to see what he can do in Orange.
He has great form, quick release. Lots to work with.

He has great form, quick release. Lots to work with.

KCSU, here are his career stats for shooting:

Screenshot 2024-04-28 210531.jpg

I agree that his form looks decent. But these career shooting percentages demonstrate that he's a passable shooter, not an elite one -- and that suggesting otherwise is not supported by the data. His percentage from three point range these past two seasons is right around ~33% -- which means that he makes 1 out of 3. That's the low end of "acceptable" shooting from deep.

Which suggests that he can be a complimentary shooter, but not something you structure your offense around. Which was my impression watching games after he committed to us -- he's a streak / rhythm shooter that can get hot, but it isn't his main strength. It's a complimentary tool in his repertoire.

That free throw percentage from this past year is certainly elite, however. Impressive.

Last edited: