Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

They didn’t have good enough players to win, it had nothing to do with some guard labeled a CG . Lollll
It’s not a label, it’s a play style. If you’re going to just argue semantics and add no substance to a discussion then why bother responding? Do you think the play from the 1 has been good since ennis? That is because they haven’t had a real PG step foot on the court for significant time. Maybe Kadary was the closest? Outside of that, notta

Last edited:
Decades, actually. For the most part, it's worked out pretty well.
Agree 100%, Flynn, Carter- Williams- Pearl, Scoop, Gillon, All these guys could score/ handle and would say they were combo guards. We also have had a number of point forwards like Melo, Gbinje and others who could handle, score, and pass. The days of true PG play have mostly left the game with the 3 point line IMO.

Agree 100%, Flynn, Carter- Williams- Pearl, Scoop, Gillon, All these guys could score/ handle and would say they were combo guards. We also have had a number of point forwards like Melo, Gbinje and others who could handle, score, and pass. The days of true PG play have mostly left the game with the 3 point line IMO.
Come on. MCW and Pearl specifically were not combo guards. You consider Isiah Thomas or John Stockton a combo guard cause they could score too?

Come on. MCW and Pearl specifically were not combo guards. You consider Isiah Thomas or John Stockton a combo guard cause they could score too?
I think for some, scoring guards = combo guards, though I don't even think that really applies to MCW. He was absolutely a pass-first guy. Was he even top 3 on our team in scoring that year? He was as good a distributor as we've had in awhile.

I also don't think being a combo guard is necessarily a bad thing. Assuming they can guard both positions, having a combo guard as your 2 is probably the ideal setup. Having them as your lead ball-handler/creator isn't ideal, but might be fine if the rest of the team is built to take on a larger portion of creation duties. That is definitely how I would categorize Leffew. As he'll likely be our lead ball-handler/creator, the question is if we have enough creation around him to sort of balance out those duties to create a good offense. I'm not really sure personally. I'm confident Lampkin can take some of the pressure off of Leffew's shoulders and I'm fairly confident Bell cannot. How much of that Freeman, JJ, Westry, etc. can handle will probably determine our fate (or Leffew simply improving a lot, which is entirely possible).

It’s not a label, it’s a play style. If you’re going to just argue semantics and add no substance to a discussion then why bother responding? Do you think the play from the 1 has been good since ennis? That is because they haven’t had a real PG step foot on the court for significant time. Maybe Kadary was the closest? Outside of that, notta
Such a terrible point you’re trying to make. Tyler was an NBA player and very skilled. Recruiting this whole past decade pretty much has been the reason why the team hasn’t been good. We had no center worth anything for a long time too, you think that doesn’t kill the team.

I don't care what the person comes in as long as they are a veteran calming influence on the team, can get us in and out of offensive sets, can break the press, and can knock down a jumper. I don't care if you call the kid a true point guard, a fake point guard, or a combo guard. Doesn't matter to me.

I don't care what the person comes in as long as they are a veteran calming influence on the team, can get us in and out of offensive sets, can break the press, and can knock down a jumper. I don't care if you call the kid a true point guard, a fake point guard, or a combo guard. Doesn't matter to me.
Defense is half the game. Being able to defend the other team's PG matters too.

I think for some, scoring guards = combo guards, though I don't even think that really applies to MCW. He was absolutely a pass-first guy. Was he even top 3 on our team in scoring that year? He was as good a distributor as we've had in awhile.

I also don't think being a combo guard is necessarily a bad thing. Assuming they can guard both positions, having a combo guard as your 2 is probably the ideal setup. Having them as your lead ball-handler/creator isn't ideal, but might be fine if the rest of the team is built to take on a larger portion of creation duties. That is definitely how I would categorize Leffew. As he'll likely be our lead ball-handler/creator, the question is if we have enough creation around him to sort of balance out those duties to create a good offense. I'm not really sure personally. I'm confident Lampkin can take some of the pressure off of Leffew's shoulders and I'm fairly confident Bell cannot. How much of that Freeman, JJ, Westry, etc. can handle will probably determine our fate (or Leffew simply improving a lot, which is entirely possible).
You had 2 combo guards on the 2003 championship team. Both Gerry and Billy could score and distribute.
The NCAA tournament proved that.

They were scoring guards, not what i would call a pure PG, pass first. They could pass for sure. I would call Sherm more of a true point he was pass first as was Billy Ededlin, Ennis was a hybrid. NBA is different as the 2G are generally 6’6” guys.

They were scoring guards, not what i would call a pure PG, pass first. They could pass for sure. I would call Sherm more of a true point he was pass first as was Billy Ededlin, Ennis was a hybrid. NBA is different as the 2G are generally 6’6” guys.
I get what you are saying. Can't agree with you on MCW.

He lead the COUNTRY in assists in 2013 and 5th APG. He had like 90 more assists than Peyton Siva.

Dakota shouted out Jyare. He's next...
Screenshot_20240415-203325_Instagram.jpg