Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW these aren't kids who were headed to Europe and NBA/G-league stepped in to prevent them form having to leave the country. These Kids were head it to college and the NBA/G-league are stepping in for their own best interest and everything else is just spin...
I think it's awesome.

The NCAA, which is a joke, is getting big boy'd by the NBA, which has finally decided to set in line the proper order of things.

This is one of the few times where it's the right thing to cheer for the bully.

Adam Silver can put Mark Emmert in a trash can, roll him down the hallway, give him a wedgie and stuff him in a locker and I'll cheer it all on. All of it.

I think it's awesome.

The NCAA, which is a joke, is getting big boy'd by the NBA, which has finally decided to set in line the proper order of things.

Adam Silver can put Mark Emmert in a trash can, roll him down the hallway, give him a wedgie and stuff him in a locker and I'll cheer it all on. All of it.
I completely agree! I also thing it is good for college basketball, but it isn't good for the business of college basketball.

What will PayPal Cal do? My guess is go to the NBA...

In another 10 years, they won't even bother going to high school. There will be a bunch of 'academies' for sports-only. The level of play in D1/ACC will be like todays MEAC.

Maybe I’m an idiot right now, but what’s the draw for the G-League to do this? What’s the benefit? The benefit to Jalen Green is obvious in that he’s getting $500k and whatever other perks. But what does the GL and NBA get out of it?

From the sound of it, these kids will spend the next year training, playing a handful of exhibition type games and basically being out of the limelight. Come the 2021 draft, won’t they still be somewhat unknown to fans and have gone a year without truly competitive basketball? Instead of building a real following in the college game or taking themselves from obscurity to a national name, these kids will just be biding time until America gets to see them on draft night? If Zion went this route last year, he’s probably still the #1 puck but does he get the same endorsements? He wouldn’t be the phenomenon he became. The college game has a lot of issues but it certainly gives kids a chance to showcase themselves and become known nationally. That helps the NBA when they get there.

Or is this just a temporary thing until the NBA changes the one and done rule? This just seems so useless for the NBA when they can have these kids develop a name and following for free in the NCAA.

Maybe I’m an idiot right now, but what’s the draw for the G-League to do this? What’s the benefit? The benefit to Jalen Green is obvious in that he’s getting $500k and whatever other perks. But what does the GL and NBA get out of it?

From the sound of it, these kids will spend the next year training, playing a handful of exhibition type games and basically being out of the limelight. Come the 2021 draft, won’t they still be somewhat unknown to fans and have gone a year without truly competitive basketball? Instead of building a real following in the college game or taking themselves from obscurity to a national name, these kids will just be biding time until America gets to see them on draft night? If Zion went this route last year, he’s probably still the #1 puck but does he get the same endorsements? He wouldn’t be the phenomenon he became. The college game has a lot of issues but it certainly gives kids a chance to showcase themselves and become known nationally. That helps the NBA when they get there.

Or is this just a temporary thing until the NBA changes the one and done rule? This just seems so useless for the NBA when they can have these kids develop a name and following for free in the NCAA.
I don't know how they are doing it, but if it is mostly shoe company money, it is a way for them to pay these kids legally. What do they care if the kid goes to Duke or to Kentucky? It's about access to the kids. That stupid one year rule has caused all kinds of underhanded manipulation. At least now, it is on the surface.

Why don't we just wait until he announces he is going to the G-League?

He gone.....from High School. It’s silly that they expect these kids to complete high school before they are eligible for the draft...silly I tell ya.

I think it's awesome.

well said- why let the NCAA dictate everything like always. Adam silver is a brilliant person and Marky Mark is a complete idiot. I love that they are doing this and leaving ncaa with nothing but looking stupid for thinking they are only decision makers around

I think you're really overrating the value of the exposure the college game brings.

You don't think the NBA knows how to hype people up about a riser?

click on it so you can swipe to see different players and projections. They have Dior on there. Not sure how accurate these are but still interesting.

Tough to pass up over a million bucks (total) but if you believe in yourself you could get much more from a sneaker deal alone after you've gained national notoriety.

The difference in rules and style of play has created a situation where many in the NBA feel that college basketball is no longer doing a good job in developing players for the NBA

I think you're really overrating the value of the exposure the college game brings.

I think we're a ways away from having national interest in the G League. At this point, I think NCAA is better for branding.

right luka doncic didn't need the ncaa for every serious fan to know who he was on draft night
and it didn't take him but a few games to get noticed by the hoi polloi

also the nba, the networks, and the advertisers have all noticed the ratings that summer league action draws. when they are locking up the top hs players every year and putting them on tour in the g league, a nice tv contract will follow

Last edited:
right luka doncic didn't need the nba for every serious fan to know who he was on draft night
and it didn't take him but a few games to get noticed by the hoi polloi

also the nba, the networks, and the advertisers have all noticed the ratings that summer league action draws. when they are locking up the top hs players every year and putting them on tour in the g league, a nice tv contract will follow
That's right.

Yeah, Zion had something like a million+ instagram followers before he ever committed to Duke. Besides, he would have been #1 overall and headed straight to the NBA as senior in HS.

Dior is a talent, but Zion is a generational athlete. i suspect that this G-league academy thing is going to appeal to most top-20 kids, and in two years, HS kids will be eligible for the draft.

The fact that they aren’t going to play in G league games is stupid. It’s not going to do anything to increase viewership of the g league if that is the case.

Yeah, Zion had something like a million+ instagram followers before he ever committed to Duke. Besides, he would have been #1 overall and headed straight to the NBA as senior in HS.

Dior is a talent, but Zion is a generational athlete. i suspect that this G-league academy thing is going to appeal to most top-20 kids, and in two years, HS kids will be eligible for the draft.

Zion actually wasn't viewed as the likely #1 pick going into college. The general consensus was that RJ Barrett was the #1 prospect. Most people had Zion as the 3rd best NBA prospect on that Duke team. DraftExpress for example didn't even have Zion in the top 5 of their mock before he showed up at Duke. They had him going 7th.

Keeps the kids from going overseas where they can't properly scout them. They're spending day after day with them instead of traveling thousands of miles to see them maybe once if that. Small price to pay to keep them domestically.

If the NBA wanted to they could transform the G League into a formidable competitor to NCAA Hoops, significantly expand the number of teams and effectively emulate/replace March Madness with their own version. It would take some time for people to initially warm up to it but it's feasible.

College Basketball could be in deep trouble in a few years with current trends. Especially if we end up without a season this year.

If the NBA wanted to they could transform the G League into a formidable competitor to NCAA Hoops, significantly expand the number of teams and effectively emulate/replace March Madness with their own version. It would take some time for people to initially warm up to it but it's feasible.

College Basketball could be in deep trouble in a few years with current trends. Especially if we end up without a season this year.
Why would they need more teams in order to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom