Class of 2017 - PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona

Could you imagine jelly, tyus, Tucker/Moyer, brissett and Thompson...

I'd still pay for us to throw Bowen, Walker and jelly fam a few bags to get back in the mix
Let's set up a Gofundme.

Nothing to see here, NCAA.

he was sensational today in the Jordan Brand game...
thing is, he's gonna have to mostly sit next year behind Nate Mason at Minny - such a shame we didn't get him when we could have, would have been such a win/win
tenor.gif

Can we just delete Washington from here? Such a debbie downer having to see his name listed here. :(

Ironically the knock on him was that he shoots too much for a PG and that's why we wanted Quade instead. Now this roster sure could use a scoring PG.

Could you imagine jelly, tyus, Tucker/Moyer, brissett and Thompson...

I'd still pay for us to throw Bowen, Walker and jelly fam a few bags to get back in the mix

Woo freaking hoooo.

I think Washington is good. He's a showman. Not entirely sure how it will translate at the college level, but he is definitely talented. Would have liked to have had him in Orange - but honestly, he's not a gamebreaker. In all honesty, I don't think Q. Green is a complete and utter plug-and-play star either. But all-star games are tough to judge.

he was sensational today in the Jordan Brand game...
thing is, he's gonna have to mostly sit next year behind Nate Mason at Minny - such a shame we didn't get him when we could have, would have been such a win/win
Gophers have already said they prefer Mason at the 2 guard so they hope for Washington to start from day 1. MN should be a pre-season top 20 team next year.

So, I know this is a sore subject, but I have to ask this question. Saw Isaiah's Instagram account the other day and the dude has 216k followers. That's 4 times as many as the CuseMBB official account. More than any player outside of Carmelo we have ever had. What gives? How is he this popular? Even more frustrating in that he must have incredible buzz in the NYC area, which would only have helped us grab future kids. UGH!!!

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 7.14.48 PM.png

So, I know this is a sore subject, but I have to ask this question. Saw Isaiah's Instagram account the other day and the dude has 216k followers. That's 4 times as many as the CuseMBB official account. More than any player outside of Carmelo we have ever had. What gives? How is he this popular? Even more frustrating in that he must have incredible buzz in the NYC area, which would only have helped us grab future kids. UGH!!!

View attachment 99412

Jellyfam... that's why.

I don't know but Boeheim said in that presser where he addressed recruiting (game after the QGreen debacle) that you have to go all in on a player like Green. It's just his philosophy I guess which has backfired a few times now but he said basically that he won't get involved with other players with a Plan A guy. They didn't have a Plan B which was a bad move.
It's impossible to know but I would love to understand the track record of this. Obviously when it doesn't work you know about it like in the Green case but how many times has it actually worked and really changed the probability of getting the kid. I have my own feelings on this strategy that I have posted a lot but would love to see the numbers.

It's impossible to know but I would love to understand the track record of this. Obviously when it doesn't work you know about it like in the Green case but how many times has it actually worked and really changed the probability of getting the kid. I have my own feelings on this strategy that I have posted a lot but would love to see the numbers.

I would bet that about the only one where this has ever been true and worked was with Tyler Ennis. The recruiting process of
him was almost desperate. Him and Battle. Outside of those two, I can't easily think of one. Maybe you could say they went
all in on Anthony Davis, but they got Rakeem to commit within a couple of days of Davis choosing yUcKy.

Long term, it doesn't seem that SU has ever really gone super hard at the top kids in an "all in" mode. They push for awhile
and kinda appear to get out without seeing it all the way through. There are exceptions, McCullough, Malachi, Battle, and Ennis
were all top 50s who chose SU over the last five years, but if you take a long look at the top guys from the last few recruiting
classes, SU's just not going after guys that way. They're doing fine in the 45-80 guys, but those aren't quite "all in" level.

Kev

I have a feeling that when this is in the rear view mirror, it will go down as a major league missed opportunity for our program. Washington is GOOD.

Yes, I have a suspicion this will be the case as well. Still boggles my mind. Was Boeheim and staff that sold on QGreen being some real transcendent talent even without the ideal SU zone measurables? I mean there were so many red flags with Green waiting and waiting. You can't trust what a kid says especially when he was obviously stalling and stalling for that UK courting. Too many times recently it seemed Boeheim's approach to recruiting was simply something like, 'Oh this Syracuse. Recruits will come.'

I have a feeling that when this is in the rear view mirror, it will go down as a major league missed opportunity for our program. Washington is GOOD.
Yeah. I already hate myself.

This kid wanted to come to syracuse so bad...
This sucks, and we obviously blew it in hindsight. But I mean, an argument could be made that if he really loved SU he should've waited for Green to decide to see if SU would offer rather than committing to Minny. That's what Howard Washington did with Syracuse. That's what Jordan Tucker did with Duke. There really was no rush for him. Minnesota is very far away from NYC, and last fall before the season started it looked pretty bleak there.Too bad Jelly didn't see the writing on the wall and realize that Cal would swoop in and steal Quade from us.

Kid is a playground streetball legend - will not translate in the college game - will have to tone down his antics - his high school team was not very successful in a weak year for NYC hoops - bust written all over him

Agreed