Class of 2018 - PG Jahvon Quinerly (NJ) Transferring from Villanova to Alabama | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jahvon Quinerly (NJ) Transferring from Villanova to Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really true. I brought in a top 20 recruiting class this past year. My team currently has loads of talent. Our record sure does not reflect that. What I do have though, is tennis players that have succeeded at every point in their young adult life, and now that they are playing players with equal or better talent, they just quite haven’t grasped how to compete against them. Am I optimistic about our future, yes. But I have learned this year that patience with freshman is truly needed. And I do believe that applies to every sport. Young athletes aren’t wired the same way. Some will perform better and enjoy facing increased competition. Some, it takes much longer.
Great post!

Maybe he should put his name in the NBA draft? Lots of players DO NOT care about college and want to play in the Association at all costs including compromising their education. That's why teams like UVA and Michigan State are always on top because players stay in school. I miss the days when the CUSE had lots of upperclassmen such as Rick Jackson, C.J. Fair, Howard Triche, Scoop Jardine, Any Rautins and many, many others.
We had a lot of upperclassmen and experienced players this past year. Doesn't matter what year they are if the talent level isn't there.

They do, but they only have one top 40 player on their current active roster.

And they had 2 guys leave early and go in the lottery last year, what's the point of responding with that when we all know that they recruit at a high level.

This is really true. I brought in a top 20 recruiting class this past year. My team currently has loads of talent. Our record sure does not reflect that. What I do have though, is tennis players that have succeeded at every point in their young adult life, and now that they are playing players with equal or better talent, they just quite haven’t grasped how to compete against them. Am I optimistic about our future, yes. But I have learned this year that patience with freshman is truly needed. And I do believe that applies to every sport. Young athletes aren’t wired the same way. Some will perform better and enjoy facing increased competition. Some, it takes much longer.

I think this is true, but I also think the template on how to deal with freshmen has changed, too.

Not saying anything about your team at all. Just saying in general.

Hopefully the guy in charge of the men's basketball program sees this. Look at our football program and how those kids have responded to a new approach to leadership. It matters, now more than ever.

And they had 2 guys leave early and go in the lottery last year, what's the point of responding with that when we all know that they recruit at a high level.

Because there’s a certain segment of posters who only think you can win with top 40 players and that’s been proven to be a fallacy. If you don’tikenit don’t respond.

You should bring in Lori Loughlin's kids. I hear they have quite the athletic resumes and are looking for a place to land.

Because there’s a certain segment of posters who only think you can win with top 40 players and that’s been proven to be a fallacy. If you don’tikenit don’t respond.

Not much of a fallacy, Mich St has brought in 6 top 50 and 3 additional top 100 guys in their last 4 recruiting classes and are pretty much a lock for the top 15 and a high seed every year. Whether they get to the final 4 or the Sweet Sixteen in any given year is as much about random luck as it is anything else. And I'll respond to anything I feel like chief.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm seeing :
#17, #19, #46, #65.

Rocket Watts 32
Malik Hall 55
Julius Marble 274

For Michigan state in 2019. I missed Hall. Those are the composite rankings of all sites.

Not much of a fallacy, Mich St has brought in 6 top 50 and 3 additional top 100 guys in their last 4 recruiting classes and are pretty much a lock for the top 15 and a high seed every year. Whether they get to the final 4 or the Sweet Sixteen in any given year is as much about random luck as it is anything else. And I'll respond to anything I feel like chief.

They have one guy composite top 40 on their active roster right now. Winston. That is it. And that is according to cbbreference.com. I did not count Langford as he is out for the year.

They have one guy composite top 40 on their active roster right now. Winston. That is it. And that is according to cbbreference.com. I did not count Langford as he is out for the year.

So only their current roster this year is relevant to the original post that Michigan State goes after elite talent? That's a bizarre way of looking at it. Just ignore that they have 6 top 50 guys in the last 4 years and only focus on this years roster as an example that Michigan State does not in fact go after high level recruits. Umm...ok.

We knocked the Spartans out in the round of 32 last season, and two years before that they went out in the first round. Fact is, until this season, that had under-performed for a while.

So only their current roster this year is relevant to the original post that Michigan State goes after elite talent? That's a bizarre way of looking at it. Just ignore that they have 6 top 50 guys in the last 4 years and only focus on this years roster as an example that Michigan State does not in fact go after high level recruits. Umm...ok.

This is what I said in response to someone else. Not sure why you have a problem with it. Someone else thought we were arguing about Nova.

cuse10 said:
This is an awful take. Michigan State goes after elite talent as well. What education? The dummy classes most of them take in order to keep their GPA above water so they can play? A good portion of these kids would get their application tossed in the trash if it was solely about academics. Theyre using the system the same way the system is using them.

I said:
They do, but they only have one top 40 player on their current active roster.

We knocked the Spartans out in the round of 32 last season, and two years before that they went out in the first round. Fact is, until this season, that had under-performed for a while.

Using the Tourney as the sole barometer of success is kind of absurd. Last years MSU squad went 30-5 and won the Big Ten regular season. I wouldn't call that under-performing. Us losing 13+ games 5 years in a row and barely squeaking into the tournament is under-performing. But since we miraculously won a couple games then the season is somehow deemed a success despite everyone on the board being completely miserable for 3 months.

Using the Tourney as the sole barometer of success is kind of absurd. Last years MSU squad went 30-5 and won the Big Ten regular season. I wouldn't call that under-performing. Us losing 13+ games 5 years in a row and barely squeaking into the tournament is under-performing. But since we miraculously won a couple games then the season is somehow deemed a success despite everyone on the board being completely miserable for 3 months.
Not the sole barometer of success. But until about 10 years ago, the common mantra was "Big March Izzo and MSU". Recently, not so much. I think they have underperformed their seed more than a few times recently. And obviously, good regular seasons count, but context is important. The whole B1G has been comparatively down for a while before this season. And no champions since MSU in 2000.

Not for nothing, but I’m in the camp that says March is all that matters in today’s game.
Could care less if we went .500 in the regular season, and whether it’s “miraculous” or not, an Elite8/Final4 run definitely cures all ills.
“We’re No. 1” from Nov to Feb literally means nothing more than bragging rights. As cbb fans we may biotche and moan about the reg season, but the bread is buttered in March. Period. JMHO

Not for nothing, but I’m in the camp that says March is all that matters in today’s game.
Could care less if we went .500 in the regular season, and whether it’s “miraculous” or not, an Elite8/Final4 run definitely cures all ills.
“We’re No. 1” from Nov to Feb literally means nothing more than bragging rights. As cbb fans we may biotche and moan about the reg season, but the bread is buttered in March. Period. JMHO

The goal is to win the Ship...which happens in the tourney. A lot of what you do during the season prepares you for that moment...but its the tourney that matters most. 30-5 means nothing if you have nothing to show for it...(conference titles are good, dont get me wrong). The Ship should be your aspirations.

That's the goal but I do not consider our 17-18 season a success because we snuck in as the very last team and confused some teams with the zone for 2 weekends. The team finished 10th in it's own conference and it was an absolute miserable season in every way. It was the least enjoyable team that to watch that I can ever remember having on the floor.

I know that there is a lot of us that feel that way and then I guess there is a bunch of others that think that season was some big success. I think that is where the gap lies that the board can't overcome. A lot of us have been miserable for a bunch of years now because the team has consistently been mediocre and aren't really relevant in the ACC. Our best finish since Ennis was tied for 6th. Don't even want to get started on how we do in the ACC Tourney.

That's the goal but I do not consider our 17-18 season a success because we snuck in as the very last team and confused some teams with the zone for 2 weekends. The team finished 10th in it's own conference and it was an absolute miserable season in every way. It was the least enjoyable team that to watch that I can ever remember having on the floor.

I know that there is a lot of us that feel that way and then I guess there is a bunch of others that think that season was some big success. I think that is where the gap lies that the board can't overcome. A lot of us have been miserable for a bunch of years now because the team has consistently been mediocre and aren't really relevant in the ACC. Our best finish since Ennis was tied for 6th. Don't even want to get started on how we do in the ACC Tourney.

We were a heck of a lot closer to winning a National title than say...UVA that year. What was there regular season record? I guess its all about your end game for the team. Do you consider a good season one that is exciting for you to watch? Or do you consider a good season going deep in the tourney...where the players and coaches want to be. I think I know what their answer i would be. Obviously in a perfect world...we would have both.

Last edited:
We were a heck of a lot closer to winning a National title than say...UVA that year. What was there regular season record? I guess its all about your end game for the team. Do you consider a good season one that is exciting for you to watch? Or do you consider a good season going deep in the tourney...where the players and coaches want to be. I think I know what there answer is. Obviously in a perfect world...we would have both.

I would much prefer to have Michigan States season last year than ours if that gives you an indication. Winning a conference title and being in the top 5 all year is a lot more enjoyable to me over a long period of time then winning 1 extra tourney game.

I would much prefer to have Michigan States season last year than ours if that gives you an indication. Winning a conference title and being in the top 5 all year is a lot more enjoyable to me over a long period of time then winning 1 extra tourney game.
I think losing to, what was an obvious inferior team, Syracuse, would bother me just as much as a lackluster 10th seed in the ACC. I think they are equally brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom