Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

A scoring PG. How similar is his game to Scoop's?

We’ll still have a senior Howard, who could play some 2 if he progresses. Plus Buddy.

Maybe Washington comes off the bench and gets some time at PG with Carey sliding to the 2 a bit?

That’s 5 guards already.

Someone will leave, IMO.

Someone will leave, IMO.
Let's not write off Frank just yet. We always talk about the Sophomore jump. For players that miss time in high school due to serious injuries, their freshman year is basically they senior year in HS, their sophomore year is basically their first year in college, and junior year is when they turn the corner. FH showed flashes last year against weak competition. He still needs to get used to the speed and power of the ACC, hopefully this is the time he puts it all together and makes the leap.

Let's not write off Frank just yet. We always talk about the Sophomore jump. For players that miss time in high school due to serious injuries, their freshman year is basically they senior year in HS, their sophomore year is basically their first year in college, and junior year is when they turn the corner. FH showed flashes last year against weak competition. He still needs to get used to the speed and power of the ACC, hopefully this is the time he puts it all together and makes the leap.

It's not his skils that I'm thinking about, it's his mental make-up. Can he handle being a junior or senior and being a substitute? The reports I heard said he didn't take it well when he lost the starting job last year to Gillon, and of course there were the reports of one or two recruiting visits where he did not put out the welcome mat to potential competition, so to speak.

I don't think this kid is another Allen Griffin, who could handle being demoted, played the role of 4th guard his junior year, and then came back as a senior and was a leader, along with Damone Brown. I just don't think Frank is that kind of program guy.

I hope I'm wrong. I want the guys to get along, and the chemistry to be good.

It's not his skils that I'm thinking about, it's his mental make-up. Can he handle being a junior or senior and being a substitute? The reports I heard said he didn't take it well when he lost the starting job last year to Gillon, and of course there were the reports of one or two recruiting visits where he did not put out the welcome mat to potential competition, so to speak.

I don't think this kid is another Allen Griffin, who could handle being demoted, played the role of 4th guard his junior year, and then came back as a senior and was a leader, along with Damone Brown. I just don't think Frank is that kind of program guy.

I agree. I remember several times last year when FH merely seemed to give up on a play.

Way more explosive! I think his game is similar to like a westbrook or he even reminds me some of dion waiters. Can really get to the rim with ease and has no problem going left or right. Seems to be a ball dominant scorer but I don't think he will have any problem facilitating either. Gunna be a bucket getter for us that's for sure!

Way more explosive! I think his game is similar to like a westbrook or he even reminds me some of dion waiters. Can really get to the rim with ease and has no problem going left or right. Seems to be a ball dominant scorer but I don't think he will have any problem facilitating either. Gunna be a bucket getter for us that's for sure!
Acceptable...:)

He looks and seems like the kind of guard that we’ve been lacking the last 3-4 years.

That is such a great feeling. We have Carey, Howard, Washington, Boeheim and Hughes. What great depth.
Depth is important, but aside from Carey who would we say is ACC starting material? Our best teams had a SG that can create off the dribble and disrupt on defense. Hughes is the X-factor because the others seem like solid backups.

Depth is important, but aside from Carey who would we say is ACC starting material? Our best teams had a SG that can create off the dribble and disrupt on defense. Hughes is the X-factor because the others seem like solid backups.
Are you ever positive? We get a recruit who will wind up top 25 in his class, and your posts have been negative or skeptical. Can you enjoy the Carey get for 24-48 hours?

Really? The 2003 squad had Kueth Duany at 2G, who was a 'tweener who did virtually nothing off the dribble.

Don't agree with your premise, at all.

I would say that Carey, Bazely, OB and Sidibe would be solid to above solid elite players in the ACC. I'm talking about the year after this coming season and that is why I'm leaving Battle out. I also think after a year or two in our system that Howard Washington will be a strong player. He is a good shooter and a good decision maker in my opinion but just doesn't have that elite blow by speed that Carey has. The reality is though with Carey, Bazely and OB we will not need him to do more than facilitate and hit the open shot. The season after next we will be a top 4 undisputed team in the conference with the possibility of winning it.

I would say that too many people are sleeping on Howard washington. Maybe not next year but c'mon guys he has 4 years to develop here...to think he will be a 4 year bench guy I just don't see it. Also depending on how frank progresses this year there is a possibility of him being a stud senior (if he takes a big jump this year) as well as hughes who looks the part but time will tell. Now add carey and buddy and I think we have more then just carey being considered "acc starting material"

It's not just about the guards, although the Carey - buddy/hughes rotation will be very competitive in the ACC. We'll also have Baze, who's a good shooter and matchup nightmare. We'll have size in the middle and, by then, several other capable front line players with experience. 2018's shaping up nicely.

Last edited:

Maybe it’s misplaced but I still have a little faith in FH. This will be his last chance to show that he finally gets it. We’ll know very early whether he’s got his isht together or not.

Maybe it’s misplaced but I still have a little faith in FH. This will be his last chance to show that he finally gets it. We’ll know very early whether he’s got his isht together or not.

Unless he pulls the same thing as last year where he looks like Magic Johnson against the cupcakes and my grandmother against semi-legit competition.

How do you know how good Hughes or Washington are?

I don't see any similarity. Carey is much more dynamic. Much better in general, no disrespect to Scoop. Scoop had a lot of huh plays in his game. Carey, though he's not a pure point guard, is much more steady, in addition to being a much better athlete.

I don't see any similarity. Carey is much more dynamic. Much better in general, no disrespect to Scoop. Scoop had a lot of huh plays in his game. Carey, though he's not a pure point guard, is much more steady, in addition to being a much better athlete.

agree. IMO, in terms of style of play and how he attacks the basket, I think he's much closer to Dion Waiters than Scoop. IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom