Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Well at least until the season starts and we're still counting on Frank to play important mins. Or maybe he surprises us all and beats out Thorpe and turns into an ACC caliber pg. Crazier things have happened.
That'd be the difference between us being a bubble team, or a top 15 team.

That'd be the difference between us being a bubble team, or a top 15 team.

I don't think there will be enough consistency to be top 15 caliber. Imagine there's going to be nights where Battle is off and we struggle to find a way to 70.

I don't think there will be enough consistency to be top 15 caliber. Imagine there's going to be nights where Battle is off and we struggle to find a way to 70.

I agree. I don't see top 15 unless OB winds up being an ACC ROY candidate. I say OB because he has the most upside of our freshmen.

I've never seen him live, which is stupid because he plays reasonably close to where I live. I will check him out this year for sure and do a full detailed writeup. Hope to interview him too at some point.

I would hope so. It's about time you do something to earn your keep around here. :p

I've seen him a couple of times during the eybl season. Don't think he is a one and done but doubt he is a four year guy if he continues to develop.

He looks pretty thin in clips. Does he need to put on some weight?

Yes, they list him at 170 and that looks pretty close to me. I wouldn’t consider him skinny but more of a “wiry” build. He could easily carry 15 more pounds which is probably true of most guards entering their senior year.

Right and he isn't a John Wall type in terms of a blur in the open court. Pretty sure Wall was around Carey's meausurements but Wall really filled out in the NBA. I agree with the sentiments in terms of him being a 2-3 year type player and not a one-and-done. We'll take it.

I do think if Jalen comes here that he has a chance of being one and done. With the talent surrounding him in his first year, he will be able to show all of his abilities. That said, I think he's two and done, if here. Kansas, or UCon then who knows. He will have the keys here to make it to the 1st round. Kid is special.

I do think if Jalen comes here that he has a chance of being one and done. With the talent surrounding him in his first year, he will be able to show all of his abilities. That said, I think he's two and done, if here. Kansas, or UCon then who knows. He will have the keys here to make it to the 1st round. Kid is special.
If he ends up at UConn you'd figure he'd be off the bench behind Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital. Gilbert will only be a sophomore next year as well. He's very small so I think he's probably at UConn for all 4 years. Maybe that's fine with Carey but I'm with you JLine I assume he'd rather be handed the keys from day 1.

If he ends up at UConn you'd figure he'd be off the bench behind Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital. Gilbert will only be a sophomore next year as well. He's very small so I think he's probably at UConn for all 4 years. Maybe that's fine with Carey but I'm with you JLine I assume he'd rather be handed the keys from day 1.

He would probably start day one at Uconn . . . . . . . . . . at one of the forward spots. The only good players they have are guards.

A player to watch is Quentin Grimes. He's a five star PG from Texas. It would be awful nice if he committed to KU. The staff there I guess has been on him like we have on Carey. Also his mom went to KU. So I would think it looks good for them.

A player to watch is Quentin Grimes. He's a five star PG from Texas. It would be awful nice if he committed to KU. The staff there I guess has been on him like we have on Carey. Also his mom went to KU. So I would think it looks good for them.
I can see them taking two guards in this class, though.

That's a great insight. I was wondering who their primary PG target might be. Thanks.

What's the story on Ayala? He's in the 2018 class, correct (chose not to reclassify)? Isn't he smaller than Carey and thus a compromise on size at the top of the zone compared to Carey? If anyone can offer a comparison, it'd be interesting, unless the Ayala ship has sailed.

[By Edit] I just searched his thread and, based on comments from Iommi and 007, it looks like the knock on him is questionable outside shot. Neither of you guys seemed too high on him.

Last edited:
What's the story on Ayala? He's in the 2018 class, correct (chose not to reclassify)? Isn't he smaller than Carey and thus a compromise on size at the top of the zone compared to Carey? If anyone can offer a comparison, it'd be interesting, unless the Ayala ship has sailed.

I've seen Ayala listed everywhere from 6-2 to 6-5. If he's at the taller end, that he's slightly taller than Carey. He's probably more in the 6-3 range, so slightly shorter.

He just finished up the AAU season. Not sure whether the ship has sailed or not for 2018, but I'd rather have Carey.

Last edited:
Luckily they have about 5-6 point guards ahead of Carey. I feel confident as do most of us.
Yep, that has been our advantage. Hopefully he is a young man that appreciates being the main priority of a school, rather than a last minute fall back.

So, why aren't we recruiting these 5-6 other point guards too?
It's just not our strategy. Seems like we are recruiting Carey then Muhammad as point guard options.

"The Orange could be seen checking in on top 10 big man Simisola Shittu, high-scoring combo guard Jalen Carey, shot blocker Dimon Carrigan, and Jim Boeheim also spent lots of time watching his son, Buddy Boeheim, and 2019 big man Isaiah Stewart. Of course, five-star commitment Darius Bazley also got a look."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom