Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think this board’s trending towards significantly undervaluing how nice of a piece JJ could be for this class, maybe because of the rumor the boards fanning of the rivalry between JJ and Dior.

I’d happily take JJ, he’s developing into a great scoring threat and can you tell me of a time Cuse had too many talented guards?
I think it’s more that we don’t think he’ll come here as opposed to undervaluing his talent.

I am 99.9 pct sure he will not be SU. Chance/Zion/roddy/JJ is the order as of right now
Appreciate that. Is it one only.. or will SU take 2 of these guys (if said recruit is on board)?

Am I wrong for preferring Roddy if he’s a multi-year player?
Not at all - I think there a lot of us that prefer Roddy.

However If you tell me that Zion would be ok with the Dion role and will be 100% back for his sophomore season. And Roddy is 100% a 3 year guy... well I’d take Zion. But if Zion is hell bent on 1 and done, Roddy is probably the move since he’d be here 3 years

Which is a better shooter?
It’s more than just that. Cruz is a special talent and tremendous athlete; he’s a kid who could be a Dion-like 6th man year 1. Roddy is a great player but year 1 he might be limited; Cruz will be too good to keep off the court (but JG/Dior will be hard to take off too).

Zion could be one and done even if he gives us only like 18mpg. Roddy will be here for a few years but play less year 1

It’s more than just that. Cruz is a special talent and tremendous athlete; he’s a kid who could be a Dion-like 6th man year 1. Roddy is a great player but year 1 he might be limited; Cruz will be too good to keep off the court (but JG/Dior will be hard to take off too).

Zion could be one and done even if he gives us only like 18mpg. Roddy will be here for a few years but play less year 1

All of that is fine re: Roddy.
We don’t need him to play a lot year 1 - Senior JGIII will still be here.
(and hopefully at least 1 of Chance and/or Zion)

The next year, he’s likely the starting SG

All of that is fine re: Roddy.
We don’t need him to play a lot year 1 - Senior JGIII will still be here.
(and hopefully at least 1 of Chance and/or Zion)

The next year, he’s likely the starting SG
Agreed. Like I said if it’s 1yr of Zion vs 3 of Roddy it’s no contest. But if Zion stays for 2, I’d lean to Cruz. He’s really a stud.

Ehh athleticism is nice, but there's a lot of evidence of teams of athletes that don't reach their full potential because of a lack of shooting. Duke in 2019. UK in 2010. Syracuse in 2014. I'd rather get knockdown shooters around Dior and Gayle is better than that than Zion.

Ehh athleticism is nice, but there's a lot of evidence of teams of athletes that don't reach their full potential because of a lack of shooting. Duke in 2019. UK in 2010. Syracuse in 2014. I'd rather get knockdown shooters around Dior and Gayle is better than that than Zion.
Let’s just say even if Gayle was a much better shooter than Zion (which he isn’t), it’s hard to see a ton of PT behind JG3/Dior/Kadary to make a massive impact. I do think Kadary will play the 3 a little as well.

I think day 1 Zion is the better player overall and it’ll be harder to keep him on the bench than Gayle.

Shooters are nice - but Dior/Zion/Kadary are all elite penetrators. JG3 can shoot, Newton can shoot, Benny has a nice shot. Dior can definitely shoot.

That 2014 roster had no one who has was consistent from 3; obviously Ennis, Cooney, Fair could make them but not at a super high rate. And we only had 1 guy that year who could penetrate a defense - 2022 won’t have that problem

Duke reached out to JJ yesterday FYI as well as UNC, Stanford, Miami, FSU, and others. Will have a multitude of programs to choose from when his time comes

Duke reached out to JJ yesterday FYI as well as UNC, Stanford, Miami, FSU, and others. Will have a multitude of programs to choose from when his time comes
i don't intend to denigrate jj at all . . . but the syracuse pecking order for points in the 2022 class it is
  1. dior
  2. zion
  3. jj
nice to see all those acc schools swimming in our backwash

i don't intend to denigrate jj at all . . . but the syracuse pecking order for points in the 2022 class it is
  1. dior
  2. zion
  3. jj
nice to see all those acc schools swimming in our backwash
Id argue they’re all combo guards, which means you could put Gayle ahead of JJ, imo

I would take 1st come, 1st serve out of Westry, Starling, Gayle, Cruz. All quality players.

Status
Not open for further replies.