Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I am guessing he has to say to Copeland and Mintz to get them intetested. Symir, Copeland and Mintz can play the 1, and Joe, Mintz and Taylor can play the 2.

If we say JB will do the same as he did with Joe the last three years, then what does he say? Joe will stay at the 1 for 38 minutes, and Symir, Copeland and Mintz will split the last 2?
Joe came in as a back up. Our PG really struggled, and Joe took over. In my mind, he had a really good freshman season.
The next year, JB brought in a PG. The kid played 21 minutes a game, meaning Joe was a PG for less than 1/2 of the game. Evidently the kid didn't follow instructions well and wanted to do things that JB didn't feel that he was ready for or that fit his skill set. The kid left after a Sweet 16 run. JB scrambled to get another PG on campus through the portal. There may have been another guard, but he wanted guarantees.
For next year, JB has recruited a big, but developmental PG, and he is now chasing down 2 more highly rated guys.

JB knows the shortcomings of his players. To think he doesn't is silly. If he has a player who can play, they play. (See Kadary last year.)

Chicago is a pro sports town. Nobody cares about DePaul there and there’s not much evidence they are winning more. They have been under .500 in conference play for 17 straight seasons.
Chicago supports college sports well, there is just such a mix here of alums from schools all over the Midwest, they gravitate to Chicago when they graduate and get into the job market. What Chicago is not is a DePaul town, because they have sucked for so long. I went to several Cuse/DePaul games at Allstate, it was Orange all over the place.

Joe came in as a back up. Our PG really struggled, and Joe took over. In my mind, he had a really good freshman season.
The next year, JB brought in a PG. The kid played 21 minutes a game, meaning Joe was a PG for less than 1/2 of the game. Evidently the kid didn't follow instructions well and wanted to do things that JB didn't feel that he was ready for or that fit his skill set. The kid left after a Sweet 16 run. JB scrambled to get another PG on campus through the portal. There may have been another guard, but he wanted guarantees.
For next year, JB has recruited a big, but developmental PG, and he is now chasing down 2 more highly rated guys.

JB knows the shortcomings of his players. To think he doesn't is silly. If he has a player who can play, they play. (See Kadary last year.)

The context of the discussion here is not what happened with Joe. It is what would be JB's pitch to them in terms of playing time.

Joe is going to be a 4th year senior, coming off a season playing 35+ minutes at the PG. We have signed Copeland and we don't know what he was told. Now Copeland has signed on the NLI and we are going after Mintz.

If Symir comes back and there is no reason to believe he won't, same as Joe. There is no minutes available at the 1 for Copeland or Mintz.

The only solution is to move Joe to the 2, his more natural position, that allows him to shoot. He can't defend, he can't penetration and he can't bring the ball up under pressure. That will give 40 minutes to Mintz, Copeland and Symir, and may be Mintz can play some 2. Asking Copeland to redshirt is not fair.

But then again, one question Mintz might wonder is if Joe plays better at the 2, how come we didn't put in there, so Kadary can play more and be featured more so he wouldn't leave on 2021, and why does Joe need to play full time at the 1 in 2022 limiting Symir's minutes. How does JB answer that with such a big elephant in the room?

Again, all these have been debated to death in about 1000 other threads, but it's interesting to wonder what the pitch is.

JB scrambled to get another PG on campus through the portal.
This isnt reality, btw. JB had Symir locked like the day after the season. No scrambling, no 4th guard was ever in play. He wanted Joe to be the PG.

Hopefully after this year, JB changes his course. It will help that the SG spot is open for more than 2 spot mins here and there for Joe's case

This isnt reality, btw. JB had Symir locked like the day after the season. No scrambling, no 4th guard was ever in play. He wanted Joe to be the PG.

Hopefully after this year, JB changes his course. It will help that the SG spot is open for more than 2 spot mins here and there for Joe's case
Symir even said he asked Buddy to join the team right after the Sweet 16.

37:55 mark.

The context of the discussion here is not what happened with Joe. It is what would be JB's pitch to them in terms of playing time.

Joe is going to be a 4th year senior, coming off a season playing 35+ minutes at the PG. We have signed Copeland and we don't know what he was told. Now Copeland has signed on the NLI and we are going after Mintz.

If Symir comes back and there is no reason to believe he won't, same as Joe. There is no minutes available at the 1 for Copeland or Mintz.

The only solution is to move Joe to the 2, his more natural position, that allows him to shoot. He can't defend, he can't penetration and he can't bring the ball up under pressure. That will give 40 minutes to Mintz, Copeland and Symir, and may be Mintz can play some 2. Asking Copeland to redshirt is not fair.

But then again, one question Mintz might wonder is if Joe plays better at the 2, how come we didn't put in there, so Kadary can play more and be featured more so he wouldn't leave on 2021, and why does Joe need to play full time at the 1 in 2022 limiting Symir's minutes. How does JB answer that with such a big elephant in the room?

Again, all these have been debated to death in about 1000 other threads, but it's interesting to wonder what the pitch is.
You’re totally off here man.

There is no way Sy starts over Mintz. None. Mintz would get a boat load of PT if he came.

As far as the Kadary statement, the answer is simple - Buddy. He wasn’t going to come out. So Joe and Kadary had to split minutes at the 1.

You’re totally off here man.

There is no way Sy starts over Mintz. None. Mintz would get a boat load of PT if he came.

As far as the Kadary statement, the answer is simple - Buddy. He wasn’t going to come out. So Joe and Kadary had to split minutes at the 1.
Again, this has nothing to do with what you or I think should or should not happen. This has to do with JB's pitch to Mintz and Copland to convince them to come.

Are you saying JB said to Mintz..."if you come you will start, I will move Joe to 2, the only reason I kept him at the 1 was because my son buddy is not going to come out"?

Again, this has nothing to do with what you or I think should or should not happen. This has to do with JB's pitch to Mintz and Copland to convince them to come.

Are you saying JB said to Mintz..."if you come you will start, I will move Joe to 2, the only reason I kept him at the 1 was because my son Buddy was our best player, by far, earning first team all ACC, and gave us the best chance to win."?
FIFY

Are you saying JB said to Mintz..."if you come you will start, I will move Joe to 2, the only reason I kept him at the 1 was because my son buddy is not going to come out"?
Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying lol. I’m not sure how you could think otherwise

FIFY
Jesse Edwards was our best player all-around and its not close.
I am glad for Buddy’s legacy.

Judah Mintz is needed. It’s funny if people could choose one player for next year Mintz or First-team Buddy most would pick Mintz.

Same for first team Buddy or Cole Swider most would likely pick Cole.

But you FIFY for him.

pretty sure the pitch is you come here and you start and play a lot at the 1. Mintz,, we are going to put the ball in your hands. The other guys sit behind you.

not far off but with a little polish. We let Mintz know the ball would be in his hands.

Jesse Edwards was our best player all-around and its not close.
I am glad for Buddy’s legacy.

Judah Mintz is needed. It’s funny if people could choose one player for next year Mintz or First-team Buddy most would pick Mintz.

Same for first team Buddy or Cole Swider most would likely pick Cole.

But you FIFY for him.
Jesse is becoming a very good player. I was bullish on him last year, even when many weren’t. At this time, however, he is limited on offense as he is wholly dependent upon others. He also cannot take over a game offensively, and coaches don’t game plan around stopping Jesse.
The All ACC team votes don’t share your view about who the best player on SU was. It was Buddy, by a landslide.
Again, I am a huge Jesse fan. I think he will get a lot of pre-season all league buzz, and I expect his trajectory to continue and his offensive repertoire to continue to evolve.
The anti-coach’s kid stuff gets in the way for some folks.
FIFY.

Jesse is becoming a very good player. I was bullish on him last year, even when many weren’t. At this time, however, he is limited on offense as he is wholly dependent upon others. He also cannot take over a game offensively, and coaches don’t game plan around stopping Jesse.
The All ACC team votes don’t share your view about who the best player on SU was. It was Buddy, by a landslide.
Again, I am a huge Jesse fan. I think he will get a lot of pre-season all league buzz, and I expect his trajectory to continue and his offensive repertoire to continue to evolve.
The anti-coach’s kid stuff gets in the way for some folks.
FIFY.
Put buddy on another team (and change his last name) and everyone is talking about how we can never seem to find those guys who can go off for 20+ against anybody.

Last edited:
Put buddy on another team (and change his last name) and everyone is talking about we can never seem to find those guys who can go off for 20+ against anybody.
What other teams play exclusively zone? Most teams play man to man defense. Buddy, would be a liability on defense for pretty much any team. His offense may see him getting minutes, but I don't believe that he would get the extended time he sees at Syracuse. The zone defense can sometimes hide a player, or sometimes two that lack the attributes to be a good defender, but not four.

No, because Mintz isn't a natural point guard. He's a combo.

So they probably pitched a starting role, with him playing alongside senior JGIII, who also isn't a pure lead guard. But together, hopefully it would work. They'd both handle and pass [and look to score] a lot.

What other teams play exclusively zone? Most teams play man to man defense. Buddy, would be a liability on defense for pretty much any team. His offense may see him getting minutes, but I don't believe that he would get the extended time he sees at Syracuse. The zone defense can sometimes hide a player, or sometimes two that lack the attributes to be a good defender, but not four.
The bias is sneaking in. Other teams tend to have a solid offensive 2-3 guard who is not the best defender. Just as an example, Louisville had it the Covid year with McMahon. Would buddy play 40 minutes? No, because that’s not normal, but could be see 25 a night and 30+ when he’s hot? Of course.

The bias is sneaking in. Other teams tend to have a solid offensive 2-3 guard who is not the best defender. Just as an example, Louisville had it the Covid year with McMahon. Would buddy play 40 minutes? No, because that’s not normal, but could be see 25 a night and 30+ when he’s hot? Of course.
That is my unbiased opinion. I wish Buddy was a better defender. His strength is offense. He is a subpar passer and rebounder. I don't think he has a particularly high basketball IQ. When he is hot, he as a really good offensive weapon. But, if he isn't on, he is a liability on the court. At Syracuse, he has been allowed to shoot himself out of slumps. I don't believe he would be allowed to do that elsewhere. That is my unbiased opinion. If you wanted biased opinion, I would say that he would be a starter on any other team in America.

Put buddy on another team (and change his last name) and everyone is talking about we can never seem to find those guys who can go off for 20+ against anybody.
Those players don’t tend to be all conference players.

Also anyone who would take Buddy as our best player than Jesse if they changed Jesse’s last name to Buddy’s last name would change their tune.

Jesse is our best player on this year’s team and its not close.

That is why need guards like Judah Mintz. Shooting is nice but we need more all-around guards.

008685EC-431A-44F2-BBEC-BBAEF13E489A.jpeg

Interesting..

The zone defense can sometimes hide a player, or sometimes two that lack the attributes to be a good defender, but not four.
We didn't hide our players well enough then. The notion that the zone "hides" unathletic players is just a myth from the pre-3 point line era.

Status
Not open for further replies.