Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many things can happen every year that cause players to change their minds late: a bag of money, a ridiculous promise, a girlfriend attending a close by school etc. if we go by pure “what’s the best school” it’s probably syracuse, but that doesn’t mean they will immediately win no matter how hard the coaches tried. Also, let’s not forget that he hasn’t announced, there’s still time for whatever promise that is putting DePaul (maybe) in front to be matched my a multitude of other schools including syracuse.

In this new era of recruiting it might not even matter, they might hit the portal and find a find a guy who will perform better the JM ever will, you just don’t know.
You have confidence that will happen?

So Mintz turns down 5 different ACC teams, 3 SEC teams, and 2 Big Ten teams to play for a Big East bottom feeder.

You're gonna need a lot more mirrors.
And how many of those believed with a pretty high degree of certainty that he was coming to them?

I don't mind missing out on a kid we were late to the game with. But the delusion of the coaching staff at nearly every turn with kids we think are coming yet don't is pretty eye opening. Specifically with higher level recruits.

So they either don't have a pulse on the relationship they have with the kid, or somebody is dropping the ball between having the kids on campus and the commitment date.

You tell me. But either way, something is amiss.

And how many of those believed with a pretty high degree of certainty that he was coming to them?

I don't mind missing out on a kid we were late to the game with. But the delusion of the coaching staff at nearly every turn with kids we think are coming yet don't is pretty eye opening. Specifically with higher level recruits.

So they either don't have a pulse on the relationship they have with the kid, or somebody is dropping the ball between having the kids on campus and the commitment date.

You tell me. But either way, something is amiss.
Exactly. This isn’t the first time the staff has been “blindsided” by a kid who they thought they had wrapped up. And most of the fan base has higher expectations for recruiting and on-court success than the teams we were competeting with for Mintz. It’s ok to love your team and not be happy with the last 8 years and countless recruiting misses. Syracuse basketball should not be synonymous with mediocrity...

Coaches thought this was a done deal.

It is not a done deal. And kid is likely to go elsewhere.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

At what point do we start looking in the mirror with these guys?

Our best staffs and best teams had assistant coaches with no ties to SU.

Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy… since Murphy left (2011), the talent level within our program has diminished greatly. And fell off a cliff after Hopkins left, who has SU ties of course but was seasoned and earned his way into his role.

Coincidence?
I agree that Murph was great. But Red has landed some really good players over the years, too.

What hurt recruiting initially was the specter of the NCAA investigation and then the sanctions, which slowed our recruiting momentum. And now JB largely avoids any complicated recruitments or demands being made, which I think is a mistake. He also has a reputation as a difficult coach. The narrative around the program and recruiting isn’t what it once was, and JB hasn’t been able to turn it around for the past 7 years. (Landing Mintz and turning Benny into a star would help a bit.) So it will probably take a coaching change to alter that narrative and change the momentum.

If we can’t land a splash hire, JB should just lure Hop back as his replacement after next season. He’s our best chance at an in-house, Cuse-associated hire turning this thing around. He’d kill it in recruiting. And he now has experience as a head coach and has hopefully learned from his mistakes. Red and Gmac are not the answer.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve noticed during the past few games is that GMAC is more engaged with players and yesterday with officials. He’s out of his seat during games giving instruction and questioning officials. He questioned the official yesterday that called the flagrant one and turned away with his hands over his face shaking his head.

I agree that Murph was great. But Red has landed some really good players over the years, too.

What hurt recruiting initially was the specter of the NCAA investigation and then the sanctions, which slowed our recruiting momentum. And now JB largely avoids any complicated recruitments or demands being made, which I think is a mistake. He also has a reputation as a difficult coach. The narrative around the program and recruiting isn’t what it once was, and JB hasn’t been able to turn it around for the past 7 years. (Landing Mintz and turning Benny into a star would help a bit.) So it will probably take a coaching change to alter that narrative and change the momentum.

If we can’t land a splash hire, JB should just lure Hop back as his replacement after next season. He’s our best chance at an in-house, Cuse-associated hire turning this thing around. He’d kill it in recruiting. And he now has experience as a head coach and has hopefully learned from his mistakes. Red and Gmac are not the answer.
The HOP train has moved on a long time ago. He is a good recruiter but not the answer. Do not believe he is the answer as a successor to JAB any more. He is just a fair coach. Still love him but have to be realistic.

The HOP train has moved on a long time ago. He is a good recruiter but not the answer. Do not believe he is the answer as a successor to JAB any more. He is just a fair coach. Still love him but have to be realistic.
Couldn’t disagree more. I listened to Dean’s OW Twitter hangout thing, and Pat was a guest and really nailed it and confirmed my thinking on this. Hop would kill it in recruiting if he returned. He has the East coast connections and established recruiting relationships. Plus he has the charisma and personality to command a room and be the face of the program, the vision to build the brand and program identity, and that’s what we need right now. Gmac and Red are not ready for primetime. Listen to them talk on the radio. They have little charisma or force of personality or game insights (Gmac is at least OK). We cannot make either one of them the head coach at Syracuse, or we’ll be consigning the program to irrelevancy. We need to change the recruiting momentum. And I disagree with people who complain about Hop’s X’s and O’s and game planning. There were reasons Hop struggled at UW for a couple of years (loss of Quade being one of them), and he’s learned from those experiences. Also West Coast recruiting is a whole different ballgame and not easy to navigate. If not Hop, then we need a splash hire.

Couldn’t disagree more. I listened to Dean’s OW Twitter hangout thing, and Pat was a guest and really nailed it and confirmed my thinking on this. Hop would kill it in recruiting if he returned. He has the East coast connections and established recruiting relationships. Plus he has the charisma and personality to command a room and be the face of the program, the vision to build the brand and program identity, and that’s what we need right now. Gmac and Red are not ready for primetime. Listen to them talk on the radio. They have little charisma or force of personality or game insights (Gmac is at least OK). We cannot make either one of them the head coach at Syracuse, or we’ll be consigning the program to irrelevancy. We need to change the recruiting momentum. And I disagree with people who complain about Hop’s X’s and O’s and game planning. There were reasons Hop struggled at UW for a couple of years (loss of Quade being one of them), and he’s learned from those experiences. Also West Coast recruiting is a whole different ballgame and not easy to navigate. If not Hop, then we need a splash hire.
Pat?

It is 100% clear that Red & GMac are not the answer. And I love those guys.

Pat?
the 90s GIF by absurdnoise

Red is the best man for the job

What about game planning, defensive and offensive etc? To me that is the biggest question mark/concern. I mean we even see how that has been a hard thing for even Hop.

I think you are on the money recruiting wise just that unless he can haul top 10 or better classes every year, then the coaching aspect is huge.

Red is quality and has deep roots in the fertile NYC recruiting area. I do think that SU is subject to negative recruiting from other schools due to our reliance on the zone 100%. I think that may be restrictive to high level athletes but maybe appealing to the Girard's and Buddy's of the world. I thought I heard JB say in a recent interview that next year we will be playing more zone. That may be an added enticement in recruiting Mintz.

Red is quality and has deep roots in the fertile NYC recruiting area. I do think that SU is subject to negative recruiting from other schools due to our reliance on the zone 100%. I think that may be restrictive to high level athletes but maybe appealing to the Girard's and Buddy's of the world. I thought I heard JB say in a recent interview that next year we will be playing more zone. That may be an added enticement in recruiting Mintz.
How has his "deep roots" helped SU the last 8 years?

We got Kadary Richmond from NYC. He left.

Anyone else?

Sorry - I'm skeptical.

Can someone please tell me why I come to this site to read about recruits and find the post thread not about the recruit, but about everything else under the sun or moon if it is at night!
We have a lot of posters who have a lot to say. But only when they are reading a post not related to what they want to post about. It is an interesting condition that ails many fans on this board.

Now Judah Mintz is what I came to post about. His Oak Hill team is currently ranked 5th in the country and battling for a higher seed in the Geico Nationals. The Geico Nationals is the equivalent of the NCAA tournament for HS hoops.

Judah is going to be playing against a bunch of top HS players, a number of whom Syracuse was once involved with. Should be interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.