Class of 2018 - PG Malik Zachery (NY) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Malik Zachery (NY)

I think with some muscle added he could be ACC calibre. But who are we to even act like we're a top 20 recruiter right now. We haven't landed any pg's this cycle, let alone high D1 calibre.

I've seen him play live. Muscle and some agility/explosiveness training is all thats holding the kid back, which is excusable because he's so young.

Who are we? A team in the ACC that went to the final four last season, one of the top 5 winningest programs of all time.

As Francis has stated, you don't right the ship by making panic moves and adding players that aren't good enough. I have no idea whether Zachery is or not. If he is, might be a worthwhile gamble. But your second sentence above is unadulterated defeatist bunk.

Who are we? A team in the ACC that went to the final four last season, one of the top 5 winningest programs of all time.

As Francis has stated, you don't right the ship by making panic moves and adding players that aren't good enough. I have no idea whether Zachery is or not. If he is, might be a worthwhile gamble. But your second sentence above is unadulterated defeatist bunk.

Well time will tell, but I think he could be a four year program player to rebuild with and provide depth so to allow us in 2 years to go be able to succeed adjusting to 1 and dones as we've struggled to recently. I don't mean to come off as defeatist, I'd just like to see more program players that develop in the system like scoop/triche.

Well time will tell, but I think he could be a four year program player to rebuild with and provide depth so to allow us in 2 years to go be able to succeed adjusting to 1 and dones as we've struggled to recently. I don't mean to come off as defeatist, I'd just like to see more program players that develop in the system like scoop/triche.

No argument there. Program guys have been terrific for our program.

And I'm not discounting Zachery -- will be interesting to see if he emerges as a late option.

Unfortunately it isn't the kids ability that is his biggest question mark. He had some serious red flags in the past off the court. He's having a great season so far this year though, and hopefully he's put his past issues behind him. Regardless of Cuse's pg issues, I can't imagine they offer. But I hope the kid stays on the right path and finds a good college program he can excel at.

I saw that a clip on Rochester 13 news last night. Kearney players were stunned. Great play by Zackery!

Unfortunately it isn't the kids ability that is his biggest question mark. He had some serious red flags in the past off the court. He's having a great season so far this year though, and hopefully he's put his past issues behind him. Regardless of Cuse's pg issues, I can't imagine they offer. But I hope the kid stays on the right path and finds a good college program he can excel at.
Excellent source who has been right on the money on other local high school issues tells me nothing to worry about...respectful kid who responds well to guidance. Should not be overlooked.

SUOrange44

I have seen half a dozen WG games this year, including both Liverpool games and Shenendahowa. WG has been a been fun team to watch. Zachery is very skilled and WG would not be having such a great year without him performing like he has. WG lost both Liverpool games and one differnce I notice is this: Zachery is WG's best player and one one of section 3's best players. But because he is the PG he most times is very ball dominant and for many parts of several games I have seen, very few teammates, including the big guy Southerland, get involved in the offensive flow. Because Zachery has the ball he often forces. Pride is Liverpool's, and one of section 3's best player. He plays the wing and does not dominate the ball. Many Liverpool players get involved as a result, ad Pride gets a lot of points because the whole defense is not focused on him every possession. I do not think either Zachery or Pride or high D-1.

I think Charles can be a very good mid level D1 player. He is a better player than Roland who is a GW.

Better player than Roland no way.
You're right. I didn't make my point at all. I think Pride has a chance to be a better college prospect. Roland was a very good high school player.

Better player than Roland no way.
Pride has a very high ceiling. Once he gets a consistent jumper its over. He's a tremendous on ball defender. He's also underratedly athletic. Roland was a great scorer in my opinion.

I did not read through the whole thread. Why is Zachery considered a 2018 prospect. He is a senior this year at West Genesee. Is it established that he is going prep school for a year and hence the 2018 classification?

This video shows Malik Zachery playing against Charles Pride. As far as the last Liverpool game Malik finished the game 4 rebounds shy of a triple double. Zachery recorded 15 points, 10 assists, and 6 rebounds. He fouled out with about 2 seconds left before the game went into overtime.

Last edited:
This video shows Zachery and West Genesee the last time they played Bishop Ludden. It sure looks like Zachery did a great job getting Sutherland the ball.

Last edited:
He really struggled tonight. Charles Pride is a hell of a player.

In your opinion, does Pride's game translate into an ACC caliber guard?

Does he currently have any offers from big name schools?

ACC caliber, no I don't think so. A10 or Maac would be a much better fit. He has a Stony Brook offer. Hopefully he plays well this summer and more opportunities will open up.

I had a chance to watch him work out last night, he is bigger than I expected. I knew he was talented but I I was impressed I hope Malik has a great season at a prep and goes to high level college . There are a lot of big time talents between Rochester and Albany right now. Best collection of overall talent since early 90s

Other than being interested in following this kid because he's local, I don't see SU being a likely destination. WE have a program PG in Washington. If we pursued another PG it would be recruiting over HW. It's fun to keep tabs on the local guys, but IMO he's not signing here in 2017 or 2018. Thoughts?