Class of 2017 - PG Marcus Keene to NBA Draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Marcus Keene to NBA Draft

is Keene really a good fit for SU, though? He is a super high usage player and, really, his scoring is more a product of his usage rate than his shooting ability:
% Possessions used 36.8 (4th in nation)
% Shots 35.5 (8th in nation)
Effective FG% 53.2 (443rd)
True shooting % 58.2 (319th)

I don't think the comparison with Gillon is good. Gillon is not now and wasn't at CSU a high usage player (20.9 possessions/18.5 shots at SU and 21.7 possessions/19.6 shots at CSU).

Keene does have a much higher assist rate now than Gillon did last year at CSU.

If Battle and Lydon are both back to team with an improving Thompson, and if we land a quality SF like Koulechov - do we really need a ball dominant point who hunts for his own shots?

of course, when all is said and done, Boeheim knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than I ever will, so if he decides to go with Keene then its probably the best choice available. but as an armchair college GM, I'd want to go in another direction

I think next year we're going to need help getting the ball in the hoop..I think he could totally fill the AW void of points per game.

But still sticking to my contacts and he ends up at Duke or Michigan :noidea:

I think next year we're going to need help getting the ball in the hoop..I think he could totally fill the AW void of points per game.
when everything shakes, maybe that willbe the case. but if Lydon and Battle return to go with Thompson and a 3 the level of Koulechov, that's plenty of scorers and we'll need a distributor more than another shooter

is Keene really a good fit for SU, though? He is a super high usage player and, really, his scoring is more a product of his usage rate than his shooting ability:

I don't think the comparison with Gillon is good. Gillon is not now and wasn't at CSU a high usage player (20.9 possessions/18.5 shots at SU and 21.7 possessions/19.6 shots at CSU).

If Battle and Lydon are both back to team with an improving Thompson, and if we land a quality SF like Koulechov - do we really need a ball dominant point who hunts for his own shots?

of course, when all is said and done, Boeheim knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than I ever will, so if he decides to go with Keene then its probably the best choice available. but as an armchair college GM, I'd want to go in another direction
I think Keene has a chip on his shoulders and wants to prove himself. I think he would gladly adapt to a different role if it meant running a big time program. As mentioned above he was quoted in regards to his scoring as saying "For an NCAA game against Duke, Georgetown, anyone like that, I'll trade all of it. I just wanna play in the national spotlight one time."

I read about Elijah Brown at NM and he's not chopped liver either. He's listed at 6'4" scoring 18ppg. He went from Butler to NM, and did high school at Hop's Mater Dei so there could be some connection there.

I don't know how the staff has these guys ranked. It would have to be tough for the staff to pass on the leading scorer in college basketball though. If they're close I wouldn't be surprised if the staff went with a first to commit type scenario.

I do not think Keene is good enough. But I've been wrong before.

It took him 32 shots to get that last night!!!! He took 31 shots to get 37 pts the game before. And his prior 40+ pt performance took him 36 shots to achieve. His previous 40+ point games were more efficient (>26 shots)

John Gillon had 43 on 13 shots, Andrew White got his 40 on 16 shots.

Quite a difference in the efficiency in those performances.

It took him 32 shots to get that last night!!!! He took 31 shots to get 37 pts the game before. And his prior 40+ pt performance took him 36 shots to achieve. His previous 40+ point games were more efficient (>26 shots)

John Gillon had 43 on 13 shots, Andrew White got his 40 on 16 shots.

Quite a difference in the efficiency in those performances.

He's also averaging 4+ turnovers a game.

Really think we should go after Matt Mobley from the bonnies..more of a combo but can score with the best of them

Really think we should go after Matt Mobley from the bonnies..more of a combo but can score with the best of them

He's projectable also. He's a legit 6-4/6-5. Can really stroke it. Might be a better athlete than Andrew White, too.

Not sure he'd leave Bona though.

He's projectable also. He's a legit 6-4/6-5. Can really stroke it. Might be a better athlete than Andrew White, too.

Not sure he'd leave Bona though.
Does anybody know if Jaylen Adams, the Bona's JR PG is eligible to graduate early and be a grad transfer? I would love BOTH Adams and Mobley as SU's backcourt next year, especially if Tyus enters the NBA draft.

Does anybody know if Jaylen Adams, the Bona's JR PG is eligible to graduate early and be a grad transfer? I would love BOTH Adams and Mobley as SU's backcourt next year, especially if Tyus enters the NBA draft.

I think he's a regular junior this year

Blake Hamilton might not be a bad person to look at too from UB...might want to head back home to CA though
  • Pts
  • Reb
  • Ast

Great stats, and possibly very meaningful but also maybe not. Is he doing that because the team around him is bad and he has to, or is he doing it because he can/wants to? Or both?

I'd only want him if he's willing to be a team-first guy, in which case it'd be worth it.

Not really a surprise. Why not strike while his iron is hottest? If he went the grad xfer route, moved up to a big boy and didn't have the same success, he'd have no shot at the NBA. Now, at least he's on everybody's mind. He will play for pay somewhere, so why not get that money now?

FWIW White did the same last year.

Yea, maybe he does an AW3 and comes back for a year.

If it comes down to Washington vs Keene, I'd taken Keene anyday.

Given the current state of the 2017 backcourt I would take them both and Waters.

FWIW White did the same last year.
That is true but I think he had something to prove (that he could score off the bounce). I feel like a 5'9" guy that lead the country in scoring has less to prove and improve on.

That is true but I think he had something to prove (that he could score off the bounce). I feel like a 5'9" guy that lead the country in scoring has less to prove and improve on.
He needs to prove he can be a point guard and not just a volume shooter/scorer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom