Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 149 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got extremely lucky there. Our fanbase needs to stop pointing to that situation like missing on big-time recruits is a blessing. 80 percent of the time its really, really bad.
That's a poor interpretation of what I said. In no way did I call it a blessing. I just said things work out. We've been one of the best B ball teams in the country for 40 years!

Don't you think its as simple as the coaches can't be right in their evaluations all the time? We laud JB for getting it right with certain guys that not everyone was all in on e.g. Hak, Rautins, Grant, Lydon etc. He can't always be right, I assume there are lots of guys he has taken a pass on and then later kicked himself for not offering.
Yes. But when a guys a 5 star guy like Jamal?

What I have read today regarding the NLI in the early signing period that is applicable to this matter is as follows:

1. The NLI must be signed within 7 days of its issuance by the academic institution to the prospective athlete. The issuance date is on the NLI provided by the academic institution.

2. The last day to SIGN the NLI in the early signing period was November 16, 2016. There is nothing on the NLI website regarding when the academic institution must receive the NLI back from the athlete. However, the NLI must be filed with the conference within 14 days of receipt or it will be null and void.

3. Signing the NLI causes an automatic termination of all other schools contact with the athlete.

A lot of what has been written here about him allegedly having signed a NLI but continuing to be recruited by both schools flies in the face of #3 which if true would be a clear recruiting violation. He can only talk to the school that he signed the NLI to attend.

None of the above clarifies where he is going but does clarify what the substantive rules are regarding the signing of the NLI.

That's a poor interpretation of what I said. In no way did I call it a blessing. I just said things work out. We've been one of the best B ball teams in the country for 40 years!

For things to work out we need good players, and I don't like the strategy of becoming overly reliant on grad transfers. If you're not concerned about our recruiting you're not paying attention.

Don't remember his specific ranking, but Hak was mainly considered a borderline top 100 recruit around the time we got him. Even Hodge himself, laughed in my face when we got him and said he sucked. Funny how that all turned out.
Hak_and_Hodge_compare.jpg

Louie and Bouie said:
What I have read today regarding the NLI in the early signing period that is applicable to this matter is as follows: 1. The NLI must be signed within 7 days of its issuance by the academic institution to the prospective athlete. The issuance date is on the NLI provided by the academic institution. 2. The last day to SIGN the NLI in the early signing period was November 16, 2016. There is nothing on the NLI website regarding when the academic institution must receive the NLI back from the athlete. However, the NLI must be filed with the conference within 14 days of receipt or it will be null and void. 3. Signing the NLI causes an automatic termination of all other schools contact with the athlete. A lot of what has been written here about him allegedly having signed a NLI but continuing to be recruited by both schools flies in the face of #3 which if true would be a clear recruiting violation. He can only talk to the school that he signed the NLI to attend. None of the above clarifies where he is going but does clarify what the substantive rules are regarding the signing of the NLI.

I asked earlier about when it has to be submitted to the school. While the site doesn't say so specifically, I have to believe it's in that same window. Otherwise a kid could just hang onto them and back date one at a later date.

For things to work out we need good players, and I don't like the strategy of becoming overly reliant on grad transfers. If you're not concerned about our recruiting you're not paying attention.
Just because you don't like a particular strategy doesn't mean the strategy won't work. And I've never said I'm not concerned about recruiting (in fact in numerous threads I've said quite the opposite). And this notion that experts and this board can somehow predict how good a class may or may not be is absurd. Some of our best classes were our worst and vice versa.

You have no idea what players will/will not be on the roster other than seniors...
nor do you, but you assure us that the roster will championship worthy enough to entice more sure fire transfers

maybe Mike Gbinije has another childhood friend he can steer our way

Just because you don't like a particular strategy doesn't mean the strategy won't work. And I've never said I'm not concerned about recruiting (in fact in numerous threads I've said quite the opposite). And this notion that experts and this board can somehow predict how good a class may or may not be is absurd. Some of our best classes were our worst and vice versa.

We're turning on each other...this is exactly what Calipari wants...

I wish I had more of your optimism.

nor do you, but you assure us that the roster will championship worthy enough to entice more sure fire transfers

maybe Mike Gbinije has another childhood friend he can steer our way

Clearly, we are going to have to hit the 5th year transfer market hard this offseason, both for a potential starter at one of the wing spots, and just to fill in depth. I'd expect us to bring in at least two.

The problem is: we have no idea what the caliber of those players will be. No guarantee that they would be starting caliber guys like White / Gillon--what if they are just platoon guys, a la a Mullen from Columbia?

How'd our roster look post Mali and pre gillon/white/Thompson? we have really short memories...

No doubt. What an amazing group this is. The woe-is-us lament post-Richardson decision was completely ridiculous, not only was SU coming off a FF run but there was plenty of reason for optimism even if best case scenario did not seem to be playing out (including a likely first rounder deciding to return). Turns out best case scenario did develop, as most would agree that this year's team is better than it would have been if Richardson had returned...and in any event enter Gillon, White and Thompson and all the chicken talk looked quite silly. Now...2 games into a season where SU is as loaded as its been in years, cue another implosion, next up are claims that the staff stinks, that we don't recruit the right type of people and, of course, that Quadre is a bad dude because he did not make the decision we wanted, or when we wanted, or that was "best" for him. It's Friday night, Cuse plays in 4 hours, and one helluva entertaining season is upon us. If you cannot enjoy being a SU fan at this moment, regardless of what tomorrow night brings, that's your own fault.

Clearly, we are going to have to hit the 5th year transfer market hard this offseason, both for a potential starter at one of the wing spots, and just to fill in depth. I'd expect us to bring in at least two.

The problem is: we have no idea what the caliber of those players will be. No guarantee that they would be starting caliber guys like White / Gillon--what if they are just platoon guys, a la a Mullen from Columbia?
and you never know what you are going to end up with . . . SU was after Mullen before pivoting to Gillon.

I asked earlier about when it has to be submitted to the school. While the site doesn't say so specifically, I have to believe it's in that same window. Otherwise a kid could just hang onto them and back date one at a later date.

The only answer I could find is that it has to be submitted to the conference within 21 days (the 7 days maximum from issuance date to signing + the 14 day period for filing with the conference) of its issuance to the player by the academic institution. Thus, I guess it is plausible to back date it but the clock starts ticking from the issuance date that is on the NLI.

The only other applicable provision which is clear is that if he did sign it that should cease contact with all other member institutions. From reading this board there was a lot of chatter about both schools still recruiting him as of yesterday. If that is accurate it would clearly mean no NLI had been signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.