Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 159 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. This one will be tough. I hope that going forward we cast a wider net. Lost out on some solid players based on Green.
Yeah, big whoopsie here. We can stress to a player how important they are for us, but really it's a bigger and much more important decision for them. We should never tell any player it's just them. Be honest, say we love your game and want you here, but we have to protect ourselves as well.

It's easy to say this but we play in the ACC. We compete with Duke, UNC, Louisville, Miami and UVA. We can't just out-athlete people like in the Big East.

Kentucky and Duke have a strangehold on CBB recruiting but when a school like Syracuse (or UNC, Indiana, Arizona etc) are on a player for 2 years, there is zero excuse for losing him, even to UK or Duke. It's an indictment of recruiting. We can't hope to get bailed out by two stud 5th year transfers again.
No excuse? You're basing success/failure on the whims of teenagers and huge schools that are recruiting just as hard. Some of you guys have a really strange mindset on this. As if time recruiting a kid matters.

No excuse? You're basing success/failure on the whims of teenagers and huge schools that are recruiting just as hard. Some of you guys have a really strange mindset on this. As if time recruiting a kid matters.
I mean, if you're cool being middle of the pack ACC, then I guess we can have this mentality.

It's easy to say this but we play in the ACC. We compete with Duke, UNC, Louisville, Miami and UVA. We can't just out-athlete people like in the Big East.

Kentucky and Duke have a strangehold on CBB recruiting but when a school like Syracuse (or UNC, Indiana, Arizona etc) are on a player for 2 years, there is zero excuse for losing him, even to UK or Duke. It's an indictment of recruiting. We can't hope to get bailed out by two stud 5th year transfers again.

Maybe Quade was the wrong guy to go all-in on because he's clearly not all-in on his future team (UK or Cuse) with how he's handled his recruitment but we chose to be all-in. Nobody made us do that.
the fact is that right now, no one can recruit it seems with Duke and Kentucky. A school can have one year that they do (Arizona) but year in and year out, those two get the best players in the country. And I think the Big East was every bit as good if not better than the ACC is. Didn't the Big East set a record with 11 bids a couple of years ago?

I mean, if you're cool being middle of the pack ACC, then I guess we can have this mentality.
Lol, my mentality is irrelevant. So is yours. I think there are misses in recruiting and things we could do better. But "trying harder" or "getting on kids" early are dumb suggestions especially given this recruitment. Gmac is not a complete fail on this one.

the fact is that right now, no one can recruit it seems with Duke and Kentucky. A school can have one year that they do (Arizona) but year in and year out, those two get the best players in the country. And I think the Big East was every bit as good if not better than the ACC is. Didn't the Big East set a record with 11 bids a couple of years ago?
Yea, but you'd agree that the ACC has better basketball players/fundamentals/shooting and coaches than the Big East, no?

Big East was more way more athletic.

We are always one of the most athletic teams in the country but I don't remember too many teams able to run set plays and shoot like ACC teams do.

I'd say it's tougher for us to finish top 3 in the ACC than the old Big East because of playing style. Teams shoot much better in this league.

In the last 7 years, we have been a one seed twice. Both times as good as it gets in the country. We lost our starting center before the tournament both times. 2 other times we went to the final four. Another time we were 25-0. How many schools in the entire country would liked to have had that 7 years? We don't recruit as a rule top 10 guys. There have been a handful but that is not our market.

We were on Quade for 2 years, but he didn't get something he wanted until June - Duke and UK offers. Every HS kid wants those 2 to offer, period. Doesn't mean they neccesarily want to go there, but it's a good thing to check off your list if you think you're an elite level recruit. He obviously didn't commit to us because he wanted to give UK a chance, they took it and capitalized. At the end of the day, we were Plan B.

Here's the problem: Syracuse is in Syracuse. I love my hometown but the first 3 rules of recruiting are location , location, location. And most high school graduates think Syracuse has none of the 3. If location wasn't a factor, Cuse would be pulling in top 5 classes year in year out, no problem. But we ain't. And with everything else Syracuse has to offer we should be.

It's ridiculous that we have to work this hard for one 5 star recruit, just to miss him. We have no choice to, in most cases, take the kids that want to be here who don't also have offers to Duke, KY, Kansas, NC, and this year ...AZ.

Its a tough biz. You hope you can uncover young undiscovered talent and lock them up early. But you don't know if you have a dion waiters or kaleb joseph

In the last 7 years, we have been a one seed twice. Both times as good as it gets in the country. We lost our starting center before the tournament both times. 2 other times we went to the final four. Another time we were 25-0. How many schools in the entire country would liked to have had that 7 years? We don't recruit as a rule top 10 guys. There have been a handful but that is not our market.
We also didn't have the uncertainty in our coaching staff. Recruiting is forward thinking and unless you know JB is sticking around, I'm nervous about us staying at that level leading into the Hop-era and not exactly killing it on the recruiting trail.

I said a few pages back that if JB was here another guaranteed 5-10 years, I wouldn't be worried by missing on one or two recruits. That's not guaranteed and, IMO, this is much more troubling because of that.

Yea, but you'd agree that the ACC has better basketball players/fundamentals/shooting and coaches than the Big East, no?

We are always one of the most athletic teams in the country but I don't remember too many teams able to run set plays and shoot like ACC teams do.

I'd say it's tougher for us to finish top 3 in the ACC than the old Big East because of playing style. Teams shoot much better in this league.
Yeah, Gerry, Rautins, Shumpert, Melo really couldnt shoot the ball!

I have a reasonable request. That every member of this board abide by the same rules you wanted me to follow. I've posted about 95% LESS on this thread than the TT or AW3 thread. So let's not get personal.

We all want the same thing and frankly, none of you know how close my source is to the situation.

This is crazy talk - pitting me against other forum members like dasher and Jake. I'm sure they are great people and I'll never know them personally so why people are making this an Orangeman13 v. Other forum members is unfair.

Make sure you're ready to celebrate tonight!

A little perspective:

This speaks volumes.

I am of two minds on recruiting. One one hand we just moved to acc where recruiting wont get any easier with duke, unc, etc etc. Also we have been going head to head against Cal for years now (obviously going back to BE days) so that is a tall tall order. But otoh, that tweet above pretty much proves we are a great recruiting school

I really don't know how to answer that question. From what I see, the Big east was better than the ACC. The Syracuse team that started 25-0 would not have started anywhere near that in the old Big East. If there was a old Big East / ACC challenge, I think the old Big East would win most years. Bennett, K and Roy are top notch coaches. But who are these other coaches that out shine the coaches we played against in the old Big East?

I know nothing about any improprieties. I know only of a "change of heart". What caused that change of heart, I have no clue.
upload_2016-11-19_8-54-36.jpeg

Yeah, Gerry, Rautins, Shumpert, Melo really couldnt shoot the ball!
I'm talking as a conference on the whole. The ACC has better basketball players (shooting/fundamentals). The Big East had better athletes.

I have a reasonable request. That every member of this board abide by the same rules you wanted me to follow. I've posted about 95% LESS on this thread than the TT or AW3 thread. So let's not get personal.

We all want the same thing and frankly, none of you know how close my source is to the situation.

This is crazy talk - putting me against other forum members like dasher and Jake. I'm sure they are great people and I'll never know them personally so why people are making this an Orangeman13 v. Other forum members is unfair.

What's up bro! People aren't really saying it's you vs. them; we're just saying that you've heard different thing than them

This is crazy talk - pitting me against other forum members like dasher and Jake. I'm sure they are great people and I'll never know them personally so why people are making this an Orangeman13 v. Other forum members is unfair.

I have one simple question for you. Is it your position that nothing changed this week? That Green is ours and always has been?

I don't get why everyone is so worked up about your info. It's just info, right or wrong. Just like theirs. Btw who is the next target? I'll admit it's sort of the quirkiness of what you do, you don't generally opine broadly on a bunch but more one by one.

I really don't know how to answer that question. From what I see, the Big east was better than the ACC. The Syracuse team that started 25-0 would not have started anywhere near that in the old Big East. If there was a old Big East / ACC challenge, I think the old Big East would win most years. Bennett, K and Roy are top notch coaches. But who are these other coaches that out shine the coaches we played against in the old Big East?

Does Ennis miss the shot against Pitt if we were both BE?

Duke game at home was a call away.

Buzz was BE, Buzz is now ACC. Buzz will continue to be a pain in the butt. Dixon I guess is no longer, but we still have to compete against Mike Brey. Larranaga is as good as anyone. Pitino is a HOFer. For some reason we keep losing to Clemson...

Status
Not open for further replies.