Class of 2023 - PG Royal Brown (Cohoes NY) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PG Royal Brown (Cohoes NY)

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
6'2" 165 Lefty. You don't read a lot about him except for the local papers as he was Class B POY last year. Obviously needs to get stronger and probably a candidate for prep school. Has already been offered by Miami, Seton Hall, Creighton among others. Surprised his recruiting hasn't blown up any further so far and not sure if he has been to any of our camps.

Another kid from the Capitol Region we haven’t offered yet. Great.
Unrated recruit on all systems, will have symir, Copeland and JG likely on the roster, not exactly a priority.

Last edited:
If Royal is a sophomore in HS now, I don’t think JG3 or Symir are still going to be playing when he starts college ball.
He's a junior. But if he does a prep post graduate year, he won't be enrolling in a school until Fall 2024. The roster looks pretty wide open.

If Royal is a sophomore in HS now, I don’t think JG3 or Symir are still going to be playing when he starts college ball.
I could be mixing up years, but if he’s playing the 23-24 season then Joe could be here still:

19-20
20-21
21-22
22-23
23-24 (Covid year)

As could Symir:

Three years eligibility after transferring

21-22
22-23
23-24

I could be mixing up years, but if he’s playing the 23-24 season then Joe could be here still:

19-20
20-21
21-22
22-23
23-24 (Covid year)

As could Symir:

Three years eligibility after transferring

21-22
22-23
23-24
I was thinking Royal is a sophomore and he is a junior. So you are right; if Royal does not reclass and JGIII and Symir both play 5 years, it is possible all could play together for 1 season. Though I think it likely Joe is going to play a lot of SG once Buddy is gone after this season (assuming he keeps his word on that).

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to recruit another PG in the 2023 class. Would like to have 4 guards on the roster all the time, and with the portal, you need to overload your roster a bit to have a chance at having decent depth. We want to avoid a situation like we are facing this week, where we have are going to play games with only 2 scholarship guards available.

I was thinking Royal is a sophomore and he is a junior. So you are right; if Royal does not reclass and JGIII and Symir both play 5 years, it is possible all could play together for 1 season. Though I think it likely Joe is going to play a lot of SG once Buddy is gone after this season (assuming he keeps his word on that).

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to recruit another PG in the 2023 class. Would like to have 4 guards on the roster all the time, and with the portal, you need to overload your roster a bit to have a chance at having decent depth. We want to avoid a situation like we are facing this week, where we have are going to play games with only 2 scholarship guards available.
36 points last night including seven 3's. Hopefully he is on the radar.

Oh I agree, they should recruit another guard, but it doesn’t need to be this guy just because he is local. Should be looking at bringing in guys who have played against other top talent.

Oh I agree, they should recruit another guard, but it doesn’t need to be this guy just because he is local. Should be looking at bringing in guys who have played against other top talent.
Or, we could just look to bring in the top talent. ;)

Considering the state of the current PG situation I'm a little surprised that people are concerned about roster space. We currently do not have a PG that can lead this team anywhere. Who knows about Copeland. Nothing about Copeland screams "PG is set for the next 4 years." Hopefully I'm wrong.

I just to get some guards who can get around their man and get to the basket. We have too many one dimensional players.

Is this the same Syracuse that had Pearl, Sherman Douglas, Red Autry, Jason Hart…? To answer my own question, no it’s not? But why? Because JB is older? I know recruiting is different now, but if we can’t land a top 50 point guard every two years, we need to shake things up.