Class of 2023 - PG Trey Autry (Jamesville-Dewitt / OH) Verbal to George Washington | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PG Trey Autry (Jamesville-Dewitt / OH) Verbal to George Washington

Trey has an offer to play here. Its not public and doesnt want it to be public. He wants to go through the process like a normal recruit and his dad really wants him to as well. He knows he wouldnt start day 1 and would be a 4 year prospect here.
Outside coaches and programs know this and aren’t actively recruiting him because everyone just thinks he is going to come to syracuse. Every top program has been at City Rocks games and have seen him. He’s been performing pretty well and he’s unique where he can play off ball or on the ball.
Yep. Would be shocked if he doesn’t play for dad.

A first year coach having his son on the team is trouble to me. We just saw a guy that has a load of
equity built up not really be able to handle it.
I just don’t see JB retiring. If he lands JP, Reid and Trey, I think he’s gonna keep going. Plus, who knows if Red is gonna be the successor when JB does decide to hang it up.

I just don’t see JB retiring. If he lands JP, Reid and Trey, I think he’s gonna keep going. Plus, who knows if Red is gonna be the successor when JB does decide to hang it up.
Id bet on him being the successor.

I agree because playing for dad is tough. I also don’t think he’s an ACC caliber player. Just look at his offers.
If we officially offered, have to wonder if that would definitely change. Seems that we find plenty of players, offer and suddenly there are plenty of offers.

While Autry is the son of Syracuse associate head coach Adrian Autry, he will not be considering the Orange moving forward. “I’m not considering Syracuse,” Autry said. “My Dad told me to be my own person. He went here and was great here but it’s about paving your own path.”

Interesting.

Runs counter to what a lot of posters have claimed, citing "inside" info.

Three most obvious reasons:
  • Staff perceives Trey as a mid-major type of recruit, as the bulk of his offers seem to suggest [outside of Cincinnati]
  • Trey doesn't have an SU offer
  • Trey [and family] are not clear on Red's future with the program, so they are hedging

Or, maybe he truly just wants to spread his wings. But it seems odd that a high-major recruit with extensive ties to the program wouldn't consider the program his dad coaches at otherwise, so I have difficulty taking that at face value.

Interesting.

Runs counter to what a lot of posters have claimed, citing "inside" info.

Three most obvious reasons:
  • Staff perceives Trey as a mid-major type of recruit, as the bulk of his offers seem to suggest [outside of Cincinnati]
  • Trey doesn't have an SU offer
  • Trey [and family] are not clear on Red's future with the program, so they are hedging

Or, maybe he truly just wants to spread his wings. But it seems odd that a high-major recruit with extensive ties to the program wouldn't consider the program his dad coaches at otherwise, so I have difficulty taking that at face value.
Good points. Obviously lots can happen in the next 8 or 9 months, but it's almost like Red is not going to be part of the future and/or does not want to coach his son. The anti-Boeheim.

So what happened with Gertrude?

We got involved later than we should have. He was only rated a three-star, but is a much better prospect than that -- and not prioritizing him sooner compromised our ability to build a relationship with the kid.

When we finally DID offer, he was initially intrigued [as a NYS prospect], but quickly eliminated us because he is a plus defender who didn't want to get pigeon-holed by a zone system.

Which is unfortunate, because Gertrude would have been a great "get" -- kid can really play.

Good points. Obviously lots can happen in the next 8 or 9 months, but it's almost like Red is not going to be part of the future and/or does not want to coach his son. The anti-Boeheim.

Or Trey wants to carve out his own path, for his freshman year at least.

The portal will always be there.

Very interesting. From his highlights, Trey looked more like a 6'3" small forward than a point guard. Also, could this mean GMac is the winner of SU Game of Thrones?

Also, could this mean GMac is the winner of SU Game of Thrones?
Or, Jim doesn't abide by the concrete plan. One reason to pray for big FB success is that it will give Wildhack the gravitas to move on from JB, whether he wants to leave or not.