Phil Jackson Hopes Carmelo Anthony is Willing to Take Less Money | Syracusefan.com

Phil Jackson Hopes Carmelo Anthony is Willing to Take Less Money

Do the Knicks have any chance of unloading Stoudemire before the season starts?

This is the only thing that would make staying with the Knicks worthwhile, imo.

I don't see how.

Aside from the positives or negatives of taking less money - if I'm Carmelo I let the Zen Master know that this was the last time he is going to the press (directly or through surrogates) to try to get a leg up on salary negotiations. Say it to my face or .

I think the Bulls/Wizards series should make Melo a little weary about signing on with Chicago and another often injured superstar you can't count on. He's almost down with the Amare saga.

Yes, make him come up with a fake reason to retire and then drop off a bag of $20 million dollars in cash at his front door.

Seriously though, they are in a tough predicament because Melo will basically have to play through another year of a craptastic team until Amare, Bargnani and Tyson are off the books if he re-ups after the season with NY.

The only way, and I truly think this, that Melo takes less than the max and stays in NY is to know there is already a behind-the-scenes agreement between another superstar (LeBron) and Phil to come to NY to play with him.

It's a weird spot, because of how much more money the Knicks can offer. I think the Knicks offering him the mega max is probably almost certainly a bad deal while the contracts the rest of the league can offer him would almost certainly be a good deal.

The Lakers I'm not sure about; with Jimmy Buss running the team they might not be the powerhouse they have been for the last 30 years. Bulls would be a very good fit

Aside from the positives or negatives of taking less money - if I'm Carmelo I let the Zen Master know that this was the last time he is going to the press (directly or through surrogates) to try to get a leg up on salary negotiations. Say it to my face or .
I agree with this a million percent. That's right, I said a million.

the knicks have no power here. Carmelo has played hurt and done everything he can for this organization. if carmelo decides to buy in and take less money that is up to him, not Jackson. if Jackson is talking about melo taking less money than it might mean that he is not serious about having melo around.

Disagree. Melo needs Phil as much as Phil needs Melo...Knicks have clean slate after next season if they want one. Melo isn't exactly a proven winner as far as playoffs go. He is a black hole at the end of games who has struggled in these situations for two straight seasons.

When Melo plays with the team and moves the ball the Knicks have been successful, is this something he is always willing to do?

As a Knicks/SU fan I'd love for the Knicks to win with him but it may be better for both if he leaves.

No offense to the people calling out Phil for using the media btw. Phil has dealt with better players and personalities in the past (Jordan, Pippen, Shaquille, Rodman, Kobe) he knows what he is doing. If he feels that using the media to deliver his message is the way to go then it is the right way to go.

I'd tell Phil to F himself. Have him ask Stoudamire or one of the other clowns to play for $1.

Some of those other "clowns" have been on more successful teams than Melo. I'm sure you know NBA deals are not able to be restructured so that's a silly statement. There is one year left on Amare, chandler, and bargs contracts...Knicks should not trade them or do anything foolish and let them expire...unless they are getting similar contracts back.

The fact is the Knicks should have never traded for Melo...they would have been better off taking a chance and waiting for free agency. They would have had more flexibility with younger players and draft picks.

Some of those other "clowns" have been on more successful teams than Melo. I'm sure you know NBA deals are not able to be restructured so that's a silly statement. There is one year left on Amare, chandler, and bargs contracts...Knicks should not trade them or do anything foolish and let them expire...unless they are getting similar contracts back.

The fact is the Knicks should have never traded for Melo...they would have been better off taking a chance and waiting for free agency. They would have had more flexibility with younger players and draft picks.

Fact is they sold Melo a bill of goods when they traded for him. He should have never gone there, so we agre there.

Fact is they sold Melo a bill of goods when they traded for him. He should have never gone there, so we agre there.

They did, but he didn't have too many other choices, stay in Denver and get knocked out early every year, or come to Ny and do the same.

How did they sell him a bill of goods? Maybe if he didn't force a trade and waited until the summer things would have worked out better. CAA really caused all of this to be honest.

The Knicks biggest mistake was picking up billups option then using the amnesty on him. If they don't pick up his option they could amnesty amare, and sign Paul. That's where the Knicks screwed up. Other than that they have made solid draft picks and made good low cost pick ups.

Disagree. Melo needs Phil as much as Phil needs Melo...Knicks have clean slate after next season if they want one. Melo isn't exactly a proven winner as far as playoffs go. He is a black hole at the end of games who has struggled in these situations for two straight seasons.

When Melo plays with the team and moves the ball the Knicks have been successful, is this something he is always willing to do?

As a Knicks/SU fan I'd love for the Knicks to win with him but it may be better for both if he leaves.

No offense to the people calling out Phil for using the media btw. Phil has dealt with better players and personalities in the past (Jordan, Pippen, Shaquille, Rodman, Kobe) he knows what he is doing. If he feels that using the media to deliver his message is the way to go then it is the right way to go.
I'd love to see this bite Jackson. I have nothing against him, but he's already laying the blame game foundation. That's poor form for a guy that has been so successful.

I'd love to see this bite Jackson. I have nothing against him, but he's already laying the blame game foundation. That's poor form for a guy that has been so successful.

Who has he blamed? The players told him they didn't buy into Woodson. He is right in saying Melo should accept less like Lebron and Duncan have. I'm not sure what your referring to? The Knicks were a mess this season and there is plenty of blame to go around. From woody to Melo and obviously Dolan...rumor has it he asked Melo if he should fire woody earlier in the season and Melo told him not too...ugh...

Who has he blamed?
Jackson has poisoned the well. If Melo leaves, Jackson's statement has pre-emptively positioned Melo as being both greedy and a liar.

And the Knicks won't be expected to compete at all without Melo, regardless of having Jackson calling the shots. Jackson can try to shrug his shoulders and say it's not his fault, Melo lied to the Knicks about his true intentions.

It's garbage, and personally, I hope he overplayed his hand.

Who has he blamed? The players told him they didn't buy into Woodson. He is right in saying Melo should accept less like Lebron and Duncan have. I'm not sure what your referring to? The Knicks were a mess this season and there is plenty of blame to go around. From woody to Melo and obviously Dolan...rumor has it he asked Melo if he should fire woody earlier in the season and Melo told him not too...ugh...

Melo accepting less like LeBron and Duncan isn't comparable. Those two knew what they were getting for taking a pay cut. Melo has no such assurances.

The only assurance Melo can pull from Phil Jackson to take a pay cut would be to demand Phil be the head coach.

Those situations are not the same. It's silly for Phil to compare them. Especially after he just snagged a giant contract for a job he has never done, let alone done well, and doesn't even want to live in the city he is supposed to work in.

Jackson has poisoned the well. If Melo leaves, Jackson's statement has pre-emptively positioned Melo as being both greedy and a liar.

And the Knicks won't be expected to compete at all without Melo, regardless of having Jackson calling the shots. Jackson can try to shrug his shoulders and say it's not his fault, Melo lied to the Knicks about his true intentions.

It's garbage, and personally, I hope he overplayed his hand.

Expected to compete like Denver wasn't ? Denver was just as good after the trade. Knicks would be better off losing next year to get into the lottery and have the ability to sign two -three stars next offseason.

If the Knicks sign Melo for 20 million per year or more it will be looked at as a bad contract by everyone except the people here.

Melos best chance of winning is being someone else's side kick. Whether that is Lebron or someone else. Melo cannot be the lead man on a championship team. He hasn't proven to have that ability yet. 3 playoff series wins in 11 seasons is not a solid stat in his favor.

The smartest play Melo can make is to opt in for the last year of his contract. He will get paid 23.5 million next season then he can super friend up with Lebron in NY or Miami the next season as they would both be free agents.

One would assume that by opting in next season and then signing a new contract he would stand to make more as the 23.5 mill is more than he would make when he is 35 at the end of this other contact. The risk you take is a career ending injury but the gamble may be worth it.

There are strong feelings about Melo from people who don't have direct ties to his accomplishments at Syracuse, like many here do.

He's not considered a winner. He's a damn good basketball player, I don't think that can be argued. But in the NBA, the pressure to win is insane.