Phil Jackson Hopes Carmelo Anthony is Willing to Take Less Money | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Jackson Hopes Carmelo Anthony is Willing to Take Less Money

Expected to compete like Denver wasn't ? Denver was just as good after the trade. Knicks would be better off losing next year to get into the lottery and have the ability to sign two -three stars next offseason.

If the Knicks sign Melo for 20 million per year or more it will be looked at as a bad contract by everyone except the people here.

Melos best chance of winning is being someone else's side kick. Whether that is Lebron or someone else. Melo cannot be the lead man on a championship team. He hasn't proven to have that ability yet. 3 playoff series wins in 11 seasons is not a solid stat in his favor.

Complete BS. To my knowledge Denver hasn't been to the conference finals since the trade, so no they were not just as good after it. Melo got DENVER to the conference finals. That doesn't happen. He also had them in the playoffs every single year. That franchise had not had any relevancy whatsoever since friggin Alex English played.

Melo also gave the Knicks their best season in 15 years, dragging an awful roster to 54 wins and the 2nd round. Minor miracle.

He hasn't led a team to a championship because he's walked into two franchise that were God Awful for 10 years before he arrived, and who didn't really make the moves to build around him right.

If the Knicks sign Melo to a 20 million contract, you're right...many will say it's a bad move. However, many of these were the same people spouting off about Paul George being better than Melo. (You sound like one of them, am I right?). Remember when that was a thing? Move on to the next one, and keep taking the legit, made top guys for granted because they aren't superman.

Definitely not the season to say Lakers, lol. Their 3 players under contract for next season- Bryant, Nash, and...Sacre.

They won't make the playoffs next year either.

They'll get a top 5 pick, or parlay it into a trade for a top star.

They'll end up with Westbrook or Love or Irving or Rondo, or some combination of them.

This is what the Lakers do. They'll be competing in no time, and I'd love to see Melo be a part of it.

Complete BS. To my knowledge Denver hasn't been to the conference finals since the trade, so no they were not just as good after it. Melo got DENVER to the conference finals. That doesn't happen. He also had them in the playoffs every single year. That franchise had not had any relevancy whatsoever since friggin Alex English played.

Melo also gave the Knicks their best season in 15 years, dragging an awful roster to 54 wins and the 2nd round. Minor miracle.

He hasn't led a team to a championship because he's walked into two franchise that were God Awful for 10 years before he arrived, and who didn't really make the moves to build around him right.

If the Knicks sign Melo to a 20 million contract, you're right...many will say it's a bad move. However, many of these were the same people spouting off about Paul George being better than Melo. (You sound like one of them, am I right?). Remember when that was a thing? Move on to the next one, and keep taking the legit, made top guys for granted because they aren't superman.

Nuggets were coming off of a first round loss when they traded Melo and Billups...that team also had some of the awful roster you just mentioned (JR & Kenyon) Yes they made a run in 2009...that clearly was not the norm as every other season was a first round loss.

Billups helped Melo advance that far...the trade happened and they became better. The fact is, since that trade the nuggets have more wins than the Knicks. With one less playoff series win.

As far as the awful Knicks roster goes...Knicks were a team last year(interestingly enough Melo had a HOF type leader playing PG) it is clear Melo is a great scorer but not a great leader. He desperately needs help in the leadership department.

I love Melo as much as the next guy but be realistic. He is what he is. Dominique was what he was. Bernard was what he was. All great scorers.

What everyone seems to ignore is why did Melo force a trade in the first place...maybe this awful roster you speak of wouldn't be so bad with draft picks and Gallo and mosgov is decent as well.

No one has mentioned CAA either. They have run through the Knicks franchise for the past couple of years...a bunch of the personnel moves were directly related to CAA clients...hmmm just like Melo!

Lol to the Paul George comment...no pacer is good in my book. Reggie was severely overrated (look it up Amare has better career accomplishments then miller)

Winning is helped when you don't have garbage around you. The Knicks haven't out the talent around him that they thought they would when he came here.
I agree CP3 was supposed to be coming as well. They blew that by bungling the amnesty. With that being said they have talent...coaching was clearly an issue this season. The Knicks also couldn't close games. Melo has struggled late in games for the past two seasons so that hasn't helped. A bunch of that goes on woody as well...the whole world knows ISO-Melo is coming and it happens. No creativity in those situations.

Nuggets were coming off of a first round loss when they traded Melo and Billups...that team also had some of the awful roster you just mentioned (JR & Kenyon) Yes they made a run in 2009...that clearly was not the norm as every other season was a first round loss.

Billups helped Melo advance that far...the trade happened and they became better. The fact is, since that trade the nuggets have more wins than the Knicks. With one less playoff series win.

As far as the awful Knicks roster goes...Knicks were a team last year(interestingly enough Melo had a HOF type leader playing PG) it is clear Melo is a great scorer but not a great leader. He desperately needs help in the leadership department.

I love Melo as much as the next guy but be realistic. He is what he is. Dominique was what he was. Bernard was what he was. All great scorers.

What everyone seems to ignore is why did Melo force a trade in the first place...maybe this awful roster you speak of wouldn't be so bad with draft picks and Gallo and mosgov is decent as well.

No one has mentioned CAA either. They have run through the Knicks franchise for the past couple of years...a bunch of the personnel moves were directly related to CAA clients...hmmm just like Melo!

Lol to the Paul George comment...no pacer is good in my book. Reggie was severely overrated (look it up Amare has better career accomplishments then miller)

Melo was also the leading rebounding SF in the NBA, last I checked. For some reason he gets absolutely no credit for it though. Some scrub SF gets 6 rebounds per game and he's "versatile" and "helps his team win in numerous ways". Melo gets 8 boards per game and "all he can do is score".

Good to hear on George. There were quite a few on this board last offseason and early this season all aboard the "Paul George is better than Melo!" train. I guess at some point it will be true because he's like 7 years younger. But it's not true now, and not all that close either.

As for the leader thing...at the same time, if the leader Jason Kidd would've made a couple jumpshots in the playoffs they might've went to the conference finals. He couldn't make anything!

Melo was also the leading rebounding SF in the NBA, last I checked. For some reason he gets absolutely no credit for it though. Some scrub SF gets 6 rebounds per game and he's "versatile" and "helps his team win in numerous ways". Melo gets 8 boards per game and "all he can do is score".

Good to hear on George. There were quite a few on this board last offseason and early this season all aboard the "Paul George is better than Melo!" train. I guess at some point it will be true because he's like 7 years younger. But it's not true now, and not all that close either.

As for the leader thing...at the same time, if the leader Jason Kidd would've made a couple jumpshots in the playoffs they might've went to the conference finals. He couldn't make anything!

Absolutely agree about Kidd...he didn't hit a shot against Indiana...Knicks were playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Paul George also isn't a leader...that team is a mess...granted Hibbert returned to his old form of being nothing but a 7 foot statue.

Melo had the best year of his career this year. He worked hard on the boards but still struggled defensively when not playing against another star. He turns it on and off defensively depending on the opponent it seems.

How did they sell him a bill of goods? Maybe if he didn't force a trade and waited until the summer things would have worked out better. CAA really caused all of this to be honest.

The Knicks biggest mistake was picking up billups option then using the amnesty on him. If they don't pick up his option they could amnesty amare, and sign Paul. That's where the Knicks screwed up. Other than that they have made solid draft picks and made good low cost pick ups.
They signed JR Smith, twice. No team with JR Smith will ever win.

They signed JR Smith, twice. No team with JR Smith will ever win.

Who represents Melo? CAA.

Who represents JR? CAA.

Who has been influential with the Knicks since Melo? CAA

Jr struggled for a good portion of the season coming off of knee surgery. When he is right the Knicks have been a completely different team. Once he got through that rough patch he ended having a solid season nearly. 40% on 3 for a high volume shooter is pretty damn good.

Some of those other "clowns" have been on more successful teams than Melo. I'm sure you know NBA deals are not able to be restructured so that's a silly statement. There is one year left on Amare, chandler, and bargs contracts...Knicks should not trade them or do anything foolish and let them expire...unless they are getting similar contracts back.

The fact is the Knicks should have never traded for Melo...they would have been better off taking a chance and waiting for free agency. They would have had more flexibility with younger players and draft picks.
wait, which guys on the knicks have been on more successful teams than melo

wait, which guys on the knicks have been on more successful teams than melo

Amare and Chandler...

Lets not diminish what accomplishments Amare had prior to his rash of recent injuries. He was an all NBA first team player once and 4 time all NBA second team (including his first year in NY) he was a beast.

Amare and Chandler...

Lets not diminish what accomplishments Amare had prior to his rash of recent injuries. He was an all NBA first team player once and 4 time all NBA second team (including his first year in NY) he was a beast.
Amare & the Suns got screwed by the crooked ref Tim Donaghy vs the Spurs. He got limited to 21 minutes by bogus calls.

Stoudemire was the best player that year in the playoffs. The Suns should have won it all but for the fix.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070722