Phil Jackson Hopes Carmelo Anthony is Willing to Take Less Money | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Jackson Hopes Carmelo Anthony is Willing to Take Less Money

The only deal the Knicks could do to get rid of A'Mare would to get Rondo from Boston and taking Gerald Wallace's contract for Stoudmaire's expiring deal.

A'Mare's contract next year is a commodity the Knicks shouldn't trade him unless they get something of value in exchange for getting rid of that contract.

I think Phil is showing his intelligence right now. The only advantages the Knicks had to keep Melo was the ultra max deal they could offer if Phil thinks Melo will take less without an assurance the Knicks could get another top 20 player Phil is crazy. Phil by saying we want Melo take 90 plus million over the 120 million he could get as a max contract can tell his fanbase Melo didn't want to stay and he keeps faith in the Knick fanbase.

Melo to Chicago makes SO MUCH sense. The Bulls can't score and are a scorer away from being the best team in the East. Noah, Gibson, Boozer aren't good offensive forwards. Noah is the best all-around center, but that team can't score. Jimmy Butler is the best offensive player right now without Rose and Augustine playing out of his ass.

Carmelo hopes Phil can drop some lbs.

image-760073343.jpg

Jackson has poisoned the well. If Melo leaves, Jackson's statement has pre-emptively positioned Melo as being both greedy and a liar.

And the Knicks won't be expected to compete at all without Melo, regardless of having Jackson calling the shots. Jackson can try to shrug his shoulders and say it's not his fault, Melo lied to the Knicks about his true intentions.

It's garbage, and personally, I hope he overplayed his hand.
IMO, Phil coming to NY was essentially a money grab by a guy with a huge ego that needed feeding. He might have landed elsewhere, of course, but Dolan made him a ridiculous offer that he simply couldn't turn down. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where things turn out well in NY for all parties involved (Melo, Phil, Dolan, the organization, Knicks fans) but I'm not seeing it.

IMO, Phil coming to NY was essentially a money grab by a guy with a huge ego that needed feeding. He might have landed elsewhere, of course, but Dolan made him a ridiculous offer that he simply couldn't turn down. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where things turn out well in NY for all parties involved (Melo, Phil, Dolan, the organization, Knicks fans) but I'm not seeing it.
Dolan sells the team for multiple billion dollars is the only way. As long as Dolan has a pulse and owns the Knicks short of them winning the lottery in a year with a Lebron/Durant talent the Knicks are screwed.

This one is right out of the Phil playbook.

If winning really is the most important thing to Melo, then he will take a pay cut. (though it will be more likely to come in the form of playing for another team). As someone who thought Melo was somewhat overrated in the past, I have to s ay I think the guy has been great the last 2 years. He's not Lebron, he's not Durant (there are only 2 of those guys), and I don't want to pay him 25 million a year for the next 5 years, but he's definitely improved his game the last 2 years.

Expected to compete like Denver wasn't ? Denver was just as good after the trade. Knicks would be better off losing next year to get into the lottery and have the ability to sign two -three stars next offseason.

If the Knicks sign Melo for 20 million per year or more it will be looked at as a bad contract by everyone except the people here.

Melos best chance of winning is being someone else's side kick. Whether that is Lebron or someone else. Melo cannot be the lead man on a championship team. He hasn't proven to have that ability yet. 3 playoff series wins in 11 seasons is not a solid stat in his favor.

The smartest play Melo can make is to opt in for the last year of his contract. He will get paid 23.5 million next season then he can super friend up with Lebron in NY or Miami the next season as they would both be free agents.

One would assume that by opting in next season and then signing a new contract he would stand to make more as the 23.5 mill is more than he would make when he is 35 at the end of this other contact. The risk you take is a career ending injury but the gamble may be worth it.
We're talking about very different things.

Melo to Chicago makes SO MUCH sense. The Bulls can't score and are a scorer away from being the best team in the East. Noah, Gibson, Boozer aren't good offensive forwards. Noah is the best all-around center, but that team can't score. Jimmy Butler is the best offensive player right now without Rose and Augustine playing out of his ass.
Honestly, I think Philly would be a really smart landing place.

This one is right out of the Phil playbook.

If winning really is the most important thing to Melo, then he will take a pay cut. (though it will be more likely to come in the form of playing for another team). As someone who thought Melo was somewhat overrated in the past, I have to s ay I think the guy has been great the last 2 years. He's not Lebron, he's not Durant (there are only 2 of those guys), and I don't want to pay him 25 million a year for the next 5 years, but he's definitely improved his game the last 2 years.
If you watch him play a lot, you can't help but be impressed. He's lock HoF good, and is squarely at his peak right now. I'd hate to see these next few years wasted.

That's what I wonder...did Phil take less as well? I understand he isn't under a salary cap but he's getting his $$$ in NY.

Honestly, I think Philly would be a really smart landing place.

I can see it working out but that's probably a tough sell for Melo; you'd like to see more in place before going there, right? counterpoint; how bad are the Knicks this year without Melo?

I like the Wizards as a possible destination. I think they'll just about have the space, and they've got a very good up and coming backcourt.

Melo's either going to Chicago or resigning with New York. Houston, Los Angeles may get audiences if he wants to be wined and dined, but I think its between Chicago and New York. Philly is like OKC in 2008 they will be good in 2-3 years if they get a top 3 pick this year and Noel is the real deal.

I don't see Melo leaving for the Bulls unless Derrick Rose convinces him he is healthy for next year and then Noah,Rose, Melo is a great top 3.

oddo033 said:
Expected to compete like Denver wasn't ? Denver was just as good after the trade. Knicks would be better off losing next year to get into the lottery and have the ability to sign two -three stars next offseason. If the Knicks sign Melo for 20 million per year or more it will be looked at as a bad contract by everyone except the people here. Melos best chance of winning is being someone else's side kick. Whether that is Lebron or someone else. Melo cannot be the lead man on a championship team. He hasn't proven to have that ability yet. 3 playoff series wins in 11 seasons is not a solid stat in his favor. The smartest play Melo can make is to opt in for the last year of his contract. He will get paid 23.5 million next season then he can super friend up with Lebron in NY or Miami the next season as they would both be free agents. One would assume that by opting in next season and then signing a new contract he would stand to make more as the 23.5 mill is more than he would make when he is 35 at the end of this other contact. The risk you take is a career ending injury but the gamble may be worth it.

Winning is helped when you don't have garbage around you. The Knicks haven't out the talent around him that they thought they would when he came here.

I can see it working out but that's probably a tough sell for Melo; you'd like to see more in place before going there, right?
I'm not sure that you do actually. The only guys under contract (I think, could be wrong), are high end talent lotto picks that won't be commanding extensions for years. With all of the cap room and assets, they have so much flexibility to get better in a hurry via the draft, free agency, trading their draft picks, taking on salary in trades, etc. If Melo wants a situation where he can make the statement that he's a cornerstone, there is no better place to go to have a team pretty much built to suit around him.

Obviously, that would be a bold move on his part, but I don't know - Philly's a sleeping giant. I think they'll make a splash. And if Melo comes, maybe they can snag a Monroe or Hayward or get Gasol or Randolph or somebody to come too.

Melo's either going to Chicago or resigning with New York. Houston, Los Angeles may get audiences if he wants to be wined and dined, but I think its between Chicago and New York. Philly is like OKC in 2008 they will be good in 2-3 years if they get a top 3 pick this year and Noel is the real deal.

I don't see Melo leaving for the Bulls unless Derrick Rose convinces him he is healthy for next year and then Noah,Rose, Melo is a great top 3.
I'm not sure he would want LA. Even if they can clear the cap space, Kobe is on his last legs and Gasol seems to be out the door. I think Houston would be an interesting pick but I'm not sure what they have to do in terms of salary cutting to get him.

If Houston traded Jeremy Lin and Omar Asik and 1 other salary and they could fit Melo.

I'm not sure that you do actually. The only guys under contract (I think, could be wrong), are high end talent lotto picks that won't be commanding extensions for years. With all of the cap room and assets, they have so much flexibility to get better in a hurry via the draft, free agency, trading their draft picks, taking on salary in trades, etc. If Melo wants a situation where he can make the statement that he's a cornerstone, there is no better place to go to have a team pretty much built to suit around him.

Obviously, that would be a bold move on his part, but I don't know - Philly's a sleeping giant. I think they'll make a splash. And if Melo comes, maybe they can snag a Monroe or Hayward or get Gasol or Randolph or somebody to come too.

I'm just trying to see it from Melo's POV. You're going to a team that won 16 games or whatever it was last year. I'm not saying I disagree that Philly is a potential sleeping giant, but i think if I was Melo I'd need to see more. MCW was very good last year, he's probably gonna win ROY, but I'm not sure I see him as a cornerstone player yet (for instance, of guys drafted the last few years, he isn't Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin; if Anthony Davis was on the Sixers instead of MCW then I see more of a pull there).

They have 2 lotto picks on the team right now, MCW and Noel. MCW looks promising, like I said, but Noel hasn't even played yet. They do likely have 2 firsts this year (unless the Pelicans pick in the top 5, which is unlikely), but your sales pitch for Melo is basically 4 players, 3 of whom haven't played in the NBA before Melo has to decide. If there was a scenario where Melo signed with them, I could absolutely see them being good in 2 years or so, but I'm just not sure they will have done enough to sell Melo on going there. If you're Melo, and you could go to Chicago and play for a really good coach, with one of the best bigs in the league, and also possibly Derrick Rose; I just don't see how Philly would be more appealing than that.

I'd go Washington, Houston then Chicago if I were Melo. NY will get better if Phil can do his thing without any owner interference but I don't know when. That said, nothing worse than leaving a team and then they make some great moves and improve a lot, impact good.

Knicks411 said:
I'm just trying to see it from Melo's POV. You're going to a team that won 16 games or whatever it was last year. I'm not saying I disagree that Philly is a potential sleeping giant, but i think if I was Melo I'd need to see more. MCW was very good last year, he's probably gonna win ROY, but I'm not sure I see him as a cornerstone player yet (for instance, of guys drafted the last few years, he isn't Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin; if Anthony Davis was on the Sixers instead of MCW then I see more of a pull there). They have 2 lotto picks on the team right now, MCW and Noel. MCW looks promising, like I said, but Noel hasn't even played yet. They do likely have 2 firsts this year (unless the Pelicans pick in the top 5, which is unlikely), but your sales pitch for Melo is basically 4 players, 3 of whom haven't played in the NBA before Melo has to decide. If there was a scenario where Melo signed with them, I could absolutely see them being good in 2 years or so, but I'm just not sure they will have done enough to sell Melo on going there. If you're Melo, and you could go to Chicago and play for a really good coach, with one of the best bigs in the league, and also possibly Derrick Rose; I just don't see how Philly would be more appealing than that.

They have two lotto picks this year as well, and even if they sign Melo to a max contract they still have money left to sign other players. Could be a great fit for Melo.

Do the Wizards have the cap space with John Wall(extension), Nene, Gortat getting paid this summer, Bradley Beal has a rookie deal for 2 more years.

I can't see the Wizards as an option. I am sure he would consider them if they could pay him because he is from Baltimore, but I don't see it happening.

Gortat is a FA. Wall is only getting about $13 million next year. if they give QO's to Seraphin and Booker they would be at 52, if they decline they are at 45. They are out a first rounder this year in the Gortat deal. They might be able to trade Andre Miller and lose about $4 million there.

They have two lotto picks this year as well, and even if they sign Melo to a max contract they still have money left to sign other players. Could be a great fit for Melo.
That's how I'm approaching it.

That said, I don't think like an NBA player or agent, so...

That's how I'm approaching it.

That said, I don't think like an NBA player or agent, so...

I totally see where you're coming from, I just think there would need to be more in place to get a player like Melo to go there. I could be wrong though.

Hey, the Knicks have 4 lotto picks on their roster, not even including Melo! (yes that was a joke)