Phil Steele | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele

Can we please stop with this nonsense that the offense stresses the defense? We have not played an outsized number of defensive snaps per the last 10 years and 4 coaches (data below).

The reason we are injured and fall apart at the end of the season is not because of number of overall plays (see below). It is because we are so thin at every position that our starters don’t get to rotate because we have no depth behind them.

People always talk about depth being important so you can replace a hurt starter. Well depth is even more important (imo) to keep your starters HEALTHY by not running them into the ground every game.

I am of the opinion that our depth is getting better (but still young obviously) and as our depth gets better our November will get better.

Defensive plays per game
2017 - 72
2016 - 75
2015 - 75
2014 - 70
2013 - 73
2012 - 70
2011 - 74
2010 - 66
2009 - 65
2008 - 72
That's a very good post. And eye opening if accurate.

My only response then would be: when have we ever had depth in the last 17 years?

And more along the same lines: when have we ever not said "when our depth improves?"

I do understand the thinking on it. But what team at a high level has ever done this and be successful. As an athlete, when ur in attack mode ur more in a natural state. When ur in a defense like Tampa 2, ur a read and react mode which unless we have more talent than everyone isn’t good for us. The other problem is we didn’t score quickly a ton last year. Clemson is a good example. But know that if Watson was playing, it’s a blowout. That qb isn’t that good yet. U also seen us a little more blitz happy in Clemson game if I remember correctly. I guess it’s a philosophical difference. When I coached our hs Dline, early years we were read and react and 2gap dline. I hated it with a passion. We also were terrible with it. As soon as we switched to get in backfield and make play, we got better. I guess it’s just my mindset. Have a great Friday.

Oh I agree the jury is very much still out on the D. I don't think we need to bother with "what other team has done this" - if we do what everyone else is doing we'll finish last in our division every year. Throw some stuff at the wall - see what sticks

I plan on thoroughly enjoying my Friday with some sort of cold drink lol

Can we please stop with this nonsense that the offense stresses the defense? We have not played an outsized number of defensive snaps per the last 10 years and 4 coaches (data below).

The reason we are injured and fall apart at the end of the season is not because of number of overall plays (see below). It is because we are so thin at every position that our starters don’t get to rotate because we have no depth behind them.

People always talk about depth being important so you can replace a hurt starter. Well depth is even more important (imo) to keep your starters HEALTHY by not running them into the ground every game.

I am of the opinion that our depth is getting better (but still young obviously) and as our depth gets better our November will get better.

Defensive plays per game
2017 - 72
2016 - 75
2015 - 75
2014 - 70
2013 - 73
2012 - 70
2011 - 74
2010 - 66
2009 - 65
2008 - 72

I posted similar numbers after the season. You're right on in that there isn't much change on the surface.

But my point is that the goal of our system on O and D - is to score quickly on O and play with a lead, forcing the opponent to dink and dunk down the field to respond. When it works, it works - think Clemson and VaTech. The problem isn't number of plays our defense plays - it's that they are playing a less-aggressive defense while losing. We haven't seen many games where we have the lead and we're forcing a team to keep up. That's the best case scenario for our D, IMO.

I don't know this is 100% the philosophy - but it seems like thats what Babers is after.

I'm also 10000% in on depth being a giant issue that has led to late season swoons.

That's a very good post. And eye opening if accurate.

My only response then would be: when have we ever had depth in the last 17 years?

And more along the same lines: when have we ever not said "when our depth improves?"
We haven’t had depth in 17 years and we’ve sucked collectively for 17 years.

Your right and I am right.

Amazing, god bless America

playing fast doesn not mean we want to only score fast.. that is why we need to fgure out a running game.

what's the definition of insanity? I mean you have to assume he will because his injuries are directly correlated to how he plays the game. He's reckless and his body can't take the hits. I love it about him but I'll be shocked if he's upright in December.
This is completely off topic, and you make a valid point...but can we stop saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome? Not sure when everybody adopted this as the "definition of insanity", but it's not.
Maybe working in the mental health field for the last 18 years has made this a pet peeve of mine.

Be very clear, i'm not advocating that Eric change how he quarterbacks. He is what he is and has CARRIED us to victories in his career. My entire point is i'll be shocked if he's quarterbacking us into the holiday season. It will mean he withstood some serious hits b/c of how he runs it.
Or it could mean we had a competent running game using actual running backs.

D
This is completely off topic, and you make a valid point...but can we stop saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome? Not sure when everybody adopted this as the "definition of insanity", but it's not.
Maybe working in the mental health field for the last 18 years has made this a pet peeve of mine.
Double like

Well, the term insane is primarily a legal term used to determine whether or not a person is legally responsible for their crimes.

Has some nice things to say about SU but has them last in the Atlantic and 82 in his Power Poll. However, as I said, his narrative is positive as he recognizes the fact that SU competed last year with several close loses against good/great teams.

Guy knows his stuff but I think he is working under the assumption that Dungey is going to get hurt again. Regardless, as I think most of us know, this is the year where Dino needs to show progress, and likely will.

Looking at his first team all ACC makes you realize how ridiculously stacked Clemson is.

Not a crazy assumption that Dungy won't make it through the season.

i get all that and it was a dumpster fire ending but that was a big league win for Syracuse to knock BC out of their first (and still elusive) BCS appearance.

Poor Paul Pasqualoni. If we somehow beat Temple, he would have had the biggest What BCS appearance in 2004 and probably a stay of execution till at least 2006.

PP could've kept his job longer if he could've figured out how to stop the immortal Walter Washington from the QB keeper over the guard play.

Sincerely wasn’t trying to make a glib shot at mental health folks. One of those phrases I always use

Sincerely wasn’t trying to make a glib shot at mental health folks. One of those phrases I always use
No no no. I didn't at all take it that way, nor was I remotely offended. It's just become one of my pet peeves, right up there with people who don't return their grocery cart, and leave it in a parking spot.

No no no. I didn't at all take it that way, nor was I remotely offended. It's just become one of my pet peeves, right up there with people who don't return their grocery cart, and leave it in a parking spot.
Are you and I the same person?

It takes guts to deviate from the mainstream consensus. These guys have the hardest time picking a breakout team because they play it safe.

I'd prob do it with teams I don't follow. But I don't know - 3rd year, SR QB, etc...

This is a wild tandem of pet peeves lol - but I agree

Playing zone also negates, to an extent, match-up advantages and makes pre snap reads much more complicated for opposing QBs.

I get that the constant blitzing is entertaining and there is a certain aesthetic to the aggression that stirs your pride. But go watch some of those games and you'll see, despite all the blitzing and chest puffing we had no answer to a mismatch when in man or to a checkdown against a blitz.

If Dungey stays healthy I think we finish around 7-5/6-6. But we'll be competitive in every game, no more blowouts.

Defensive plays per game
2017 - 72
2016 - 75
2015 - 75
2014 - 70
2013 - 73
2012 - 70
2011 - 74
2010 - 66
2009 - 65
2008 - 72
OMG! Alternative facts!