Philly writer goes hard on McNabb | Syracusefan.com

Philly writer goes hard on McNabb

i wonder what they will be writing about michael vick in a few years. or even in a few months.

I just don't get it.

I really don't.

"Just a pathetic loser."

Really?

Can someone from Philadelphia explain it to me? With rationale and objective logic?

What did McNabb actually do to deserve so much hatred and disrespect from a city? I honestly have never seen anything like it before.

There has to be something that was never reported.

I just don't get it.

I really don't.

"Just a pathetic loser."

Really?

Can someone from Philadelphia explain it to me? With rationale and objective logic?

What did McNabb actually do to deserve so much hatred and disrespect from a city? I honestly have never seen anything like it before.

There has to be something that was never reported.

You just asked for someone from Philadelphia to use rational and objective logic? Alrighty then. hahahahaha

As a native Philadelphian and Syracuse grad, it's always been pretty frustrating watching how McNabb has treated. To be honest, it's made me pretty embarrassed to be a Philadelphia sports fan. However, it's not surprising in the least. Cunningham was treated the same way towards the end of his Philly days; Eagle fans would clamor for the likes of Bubby Brister and Jim McMahon over #12 towards the end. Then Cunningham went to throw for 8,000 yards (exaggeration) in Minnesota. However, look around the Linc today and you'll see countless Cunningham jerseys, and if he's in town for a reunion, people are all about him.

McNabb did light years more than Cunningham, and yet articles like this are written at least once a week. This is going to continue until McNabb retires and probably for 5 years afterwards. Part of the reason is because the Philadelphia media represents more tabloid journalism than quality reporting. The 'personalities' on WIP and that write for the Inquirer or the Daily News are somehow elitist a$$holes, and any athlete who doesn't buy into the idea that it's the writers who make these guys gods is immediately villianized, which unfortunately does carry over to public perception of an athlete.

What will happen is the writers will stop writing about McNabb post retirement, much like they did about Cunningham, and everyone will forget the vitriol. When they have a reunion for the 2004 Super Bowl team, McNabb will be given a huge ovation. #5 Jerseys will be seen throughout the crowd. Just a shame that we couldn't give him the same support when he was actually playing. Namely because all too many vocal fans are sheep who listen to the likes of Angelo Cataldi on WIP.

He didn't win them a super bowl. No more no less.

Those people just can't let go and are bitter to the very end. I'm sure they'll rationalize a way to still blame McNabb for the 4 Eagle losses and give credit to Vick for those two glorious wins.

That article makes no sense.

"Sunday night, in what very well may have been his last NFL start, Donovan looked very familiar to Eagle fans. He threw uncatchable fastballs at receivers four yards away. He burned the ball into the ground at his receivers’ feet. He led his team absolutely nowhere."

Yea, the TEAM did nothing. But McNabb threw 2 bad passes and of course those are the 2 the writer uses as a statement of McNabb. He was 19/24 with 3 drops. Plus, he doesn't play defense nor special teams. That whole team is a mess and McNabb is part of it but he is at the twilight of his career, not a current All Pro.

"It isn’t all his fault; the Vikings are a mess of a team. But he’s completely incapable of being a difference maker in 2011"

That's the Vikings fault then. You don't bring in a guy at the end of his career and expect him to be a difference maker or even put the team on his shoulders. Whatever happened to one of the best Rb's in the NFL? He has been horrible, along with the OL. A lot of the rage should be pointed in that direction.

Drama. Lack of integrity. Out of touch news conferences. putrid leader.

Where does that all come from? Frustration that the Vikes as a TEAM suck?

And yet, here he is, Donovan McNabb, the man who helped usher in a decade of very good football, just a pathetic loser.

Such hate. Yea, he's on a sucky losing team and is not as good as he was in his prime. Shocker. So that makes him a pathetic loser? Marino should be glad he never played in Philly.

It's been even more unnerving since he's left Philly because, like I said before, there is an article along these lines once a week in one of the major papers. Perhaps it's about time they let it go, right? Even Andy Reid (who really is to blame for the majority of the Eagles issues since he came on board) doesn't get the level of hatred McNabb does. There are a lot of people who haven't won a Super Bowl for the Eagles...Pretty much every football player/coach/executive whoever wore the Eagles green if I recall. They don't seem to get the same level of hatred. It's more than the Super Bowl thing; McNabb wasn't Ricky Williams (which I would think would be a good thing) and ever since then, it's been downhill because perhaps McNabb was a little hyper-sensitive to his perception. The Philadelphia media and some of their fans are like vultures. Show a little weakness (no matter how understandable) and they'll eat you alive for it.

It's been even more unnerving since he's left Philly because, like I said before, there is an article along these lines once a week in one of the major papers. Perhaps it's about time they let it go, right? Even Andy Reid (who really is to blame for the majority of the Eagles issues since he came on board) doesn't get the level of hatred McNabb does. There are a lot of people who haven't won a Super Bowl for the Eagles...Pretty much every football player/coach/executive whoever wore the Eagles green if I recall. They don't seem to get the same level of hatred. It's more than the Super Bowl thing; McNabb wasn't Ricky Williams (which I would think would be a good thing) and ever since then, it's been downhill because perhaps McNabb was a little hyper-sensitive to his perception. The Philadelphia media and some of their fans are like vultures. Show a little weakness (no matter how understandable) and they'll eat you alive for it.

+1. Philly sports radio is insane. They couldn't wait for Kevin Kolb to be their savior. How'd that work out? Amazing that one of the most likeable and personable athletes gets this treatment in city after city. During the nightmare here in DC, it was similar: DM -- on a team with hideous talent -- blamed for everything including DC traffic (even though he was on pace for nearly 4,000 yards when benched) . BTW, how's Rex Grossman working out? Minny papers now too, overlooking the facts of a dreadful defense, OL, special teams, etc. All to be proven again when the next savior, Christian Ponder (really?), starts running for his life. Bottom line for an NFL QB: pray to be on a decent team.

Bottom line for an NFL QB: pray to be on a decent team.

This is so true and likely why some guys coming out of college will refuse to sign with certain teams (hello Manning family).

Fan impatience in sports has risen to ridiculous levels. I saw a headline this morning asking if Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurmur was on the hot seat. Seriously? He's been head coach for all of 5 games (they're 2-3) after a shortened preseason and the media is already floating this?

Now, any time a team loses a game, everyone is looking for scapegoats and demanding wholesale changes, as if that will assure never losing again.

Would we not consider the McNabb-led Eagles decent? That's what makes it all the more ridiculous. The Eagles were garbage when they drafted McNabb. Doug Pederson...yeah...Doug Pederson was their quarterback at the time. I would absolutely love to send some Eagles fans back to the days of that stone age just so they can remember that time in their life. I live in Cincinnati now and with all of the Bengals home games blacked out because they can't sell out, I'm reminded of growing up and wondering why the Eagles weren't on TV because no one was going to the Vet to watch the Birds back then, and now because of the McNabb-Reid era, the waiting list for season tickets is miles long. Donovan played a huge role in making that franchise a money-making machine and all he gets from the city is a big F YOU.

I'm sorry, but the whole topic gets me pretty heated.

This is the comment I left after the article:

I know what happened to him. He got the crap beat out of him for eleven years in Philly. Let's remember that besides the broken ankle he's had broken ribs, a torn up knee, sprained ankles, etc. He had one playmaking WR while he was in his prime for part of one year, and he never had a real running game to back him up. The injuries and having to carry a team on his back for so long ages a man. But do you know what? He never complained. He had a right to complain that he didn't have weapons, that his coach's unbalanced offensive philosophy was flawed, and that his hometown fans sucked, but he never did. I hope people remember him for what he was... the most successful quarterback in Eagles history.

So far it has more 'likes' than any of the other comments. I think I'm pretty proud of that.

I chimed in earlier as well. The guy's entitled to his opinion, but he's needlessly unpleasant.

I chimed in earlier as well. The guy's entitled to his opinion, but he's needlessly unpleasant.

I think you can describe most Philadelphia-related things this way.

This is the comment I left after the article:

I know what happened to him. He got the crap beat out of him for eleven years in Philly. Let's remember that besides the broken ankle he's had broken ribs, a torn up knee, sprained ankles, etc. He had one playmaking WR while he was in his prime for part of one year, and he never had a real running game to back him up. The injuries and having to carry a team on his back for so long ages a man. But do you know what? He never complained. He had a right to complain that he didn't have weapons, that his coach's unbalanced offensive philosophy was flawed, and that his hometown fans sucked, but he never did. I hope people remember him for what he was... the most successful quarterback in Eagles history.

So far it has more 'likes' than any of the other comments. I think I'm pretty proud of that.

good job

The public perception of McNabb in Philly really deteriorated during his last few years here. He took the high road for most of his career, but the frustration came out a few times before the end and fans here jumped all over it. I'd listen to people at work bash him and call him the problem every day- I never got it. We all knew he was an imperfect, frustratingly streaky QB, but he had no receivers until TO, and then he was gone. By the time Desean began to emerge, the damage was done. I am less of an Eagles fan as a result- and he's still one of only two QBs to take them to the Super Bowl where he almost led an upset of a far-superior Patriots team.

The public perception of McNabb in Philly really deteriorated during his last few years here. He took the high road for most of his career, but the frustration came out a few times before the end and fans here jumped all over it. I'd listen to people at work bash him and call him the problem every day- I never got it. We all knew he was an imperfect, frustratingly streaky QB, but he had no receivers until TO, and then he was gone. By the time Desean began to emerge, the damage was done. I am less of an Eagles fan as a result- and he's still one of only two QBs to take them to the Super Bowl where he almost led an upset of a far-superior Patriots team.

And to get through the playoffs and to that Super Bowl he didn't even have TO. I would love if that city never won another sports championship for the rest of my life. It's exactly what those fans deserve.

And to get through the playoffs and to that Super Bowl he didn't even have TO. I would love if that city never won another sports championship for the rest of my life. It's exactly what those fans deserve.
One could argue they don't deserve the ones they do have.

ok guys take it easy...there are a couple of us that aren't too bad and some that can look at sports in a rational manner. I love Syracuse Football and Basketball as much as I love the Phillies and there are a couple rational fans that would prefer not suffer because of the vocal a$$clowns. Even though we already do because the negative connotations that come with being a Philly fan kinda suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom