Pics of Syracuse Athletics Past | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pics of Syracuse Athletics Past

Ok you got me again. Not realizing people are pulling up old old threads that I think are current and me giving likes to years old posts. :rolleyes::bat:

The unspoken here...has anyone addressed why Jimmy B had one eye significantly lower than the other? Low they guy, but that photo does him no justice.
i do not think the eye is lower. it appears that the lid looks puffy and maybe a ptosis. i have congenital ptosis, and it shows up later in the day when i am tired. just guessing here.

The unspoken here...has anyone addressed why Jimmy B had one eye significantly lower than the other? Low they guy, but that photo does him no justice.

Just a little lazy is all. No biggie

1280px-SU-baseball-1888.jpg

Yup.

Center, front row.

Pretty sure the building behind the players is the Hall of Languages.

021015_P_Crane_Courtesy.jpg

That's a funny picture. Everyone is looking in a different direction.

Cool picture. I am going to assume based on the scoreboard that the picture was taken in Clinton, on the Hamilton College campus. They wanted to capture the moment before heading back to Syracuse.

I wonder how they got to the game? Did they take the canal to Stanwix and take horse drawn carriages to Clinton? Or maybe take horse drawn carriages directly from the SU campus to the Hamilton campus? It is about 38.5 miles taking Route 5. I assume there was a road along that path back then but my guess is that during the spring, it was a dirt road not in great shape.

Sounds like it would have taken 8 hours or so with good conditions.

Carriage horses are generally trotting. Depending on the fitness of the horses, they trot between 10 and 15 miles per hour. Trotting for 2 to 3 hours with a couple of slight walking rests is not at all out of reach. So a couple of good carriage horses should be able to convey a carriage 20-30 miles in an 8 hour day.

Yup.

Center, front row.

Pretty sure the building behind the players is the Hall of Languages.

021015_P_Crane_Courtesy.jpg

Agreed about HL. The newel posts are still there, but they lost their finials (and they weren't replaced) some time ago.

I only know this because I was checking out the building more closely on Saturday after reading the other thread about the botched building renovation last week.

Agreed about HL. The newel posts are still there, but they lost their finials (and they weren't replaced) some time ago.

I only know this because I was checking out the building more closely on Saturday after reading the other thread about the botched building renovation last week.
What a shame. I would think the good people at SU would appreciate history and details like this more than typical owners of historic properties. Sigh.