Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are Hall of Famers. Both have been in trouble. I know JB has been in trouble twice and Pitino once but some consider pitino's to be a little bit more or a little bit worse because it was more risqué. guess you could say with prostitution and all that but like I said before I'm pretty sure every school has done something in that regard to attract players!

I mean it's a business just as much or more as it is a sport. Also in my opinion the Pitino has an edge in recruiting and coaching imo.
Pitino is top-tier consistently great every single year, you can't say that about JB

Reality is, Jim and Rick are friends. They’ve gone on vacations together.

Those who attack Rick’s character….Jim doesn’t seem to have a problem with it. He brought Pitino in to help at an SU practice a few years ago.
Yep... I will take no joy from watching the holier than thou posters here squirming as they watch Pitino achieve levels of success elsewhere that have passed SU by.
And I would be willing to bet that there are people here who would be fine hiring the drunk driving Mark Few but are morally opposed to Rick Pitino. At least be consistent if you want to shun people because you think they've done bad things.

A lifetime contract for Pitino the vampire is going to last until a stake is driven through his heart. Dangerous game.

Both are Hall of Famers. Both have been in trouble. I know JB has been in trouble twice and Pitino once but some consider pitino's to be a little bit more or a little bit worse because it was more risqué. guess you could say with prostitution and all that but like I said before I'm pretty sure every school has done something in that regard to attract players!

I mean it's a business just as much or more as it is a sport. Also in my opinion the Pitino has an edge in recruiting and coaching imo.
Pitino is top-tier consistently great every single year, you can't say that about JB
This is insane. Both have been in trouble and one is more risqué? They were getting whores for recruits. Also he knocked some chick up and forced her to get an abortion if I recall. This is an absolute bonkers take.
And I would be willing to bet that there are people here who would be fine hiring the drunk driving Mark Few but are morally opposed to Rick Pitino. At least be consistent if you want to shun people because you think they've done bad things.
I truly think there is a difference her, but also maybe we target a guy who hasn’t broken the law??? I don’t know maybe I’m the crazy one.

This is insane. Both have been in trouble and one is more risqué? They were getting whores for recruits. Also he knocked some chick up and forced her to get an abortion if I recall. This is an absolute bonkers take.

I truly think there is a difference her, but also maybe we target a guy who hasn’t broken the law??? I don’t know maybe I’m the crazy one.
Again that probably 70% of the power 5 schools participate or at least the consistent winners. I mean how do you think they consistently get players like that against other programs who are doing stuff like that no. They want to think outside the box a little bit there. Does it matter anyway. Geno is not going to coach your I'm just saying I would pick him over JB any day

And for us to continue losing to Louisville and everyone else? Get over the Pitino hate and deal with the reality that even if he coached at SU for 2 to 3 years, he would turn the program around quickly and bring back a level of prestige. He is still a great recruiter and coach which is what we need. Hate with no punch doesn't go far.
Barf
If you do not value your reputatin no one else will.
Are there no adults in this thread?

Last edited:
Barf
If you do not value your reputatin no one else will.
Are there no adults in this thread?
Actually, the thread appears to be mostly adults, with a few holier than thou types sprinkled in that don't understand how this game works. Nobody is talking about hiring Pitino to be their personal counselor or spiritual guide. Players choose SU so they can have a shot at professional basketball. Isn't it funny how the Boeheims aren't repulsed by Rick, and yet we have posters talking about how hiring him would ruin the reputation of the university? Are you saying their reputation is compromised? Also funny that that hasn't happened to Iona, another respected institution. In fact, a catholic institution... that did not see hiring Pitino as counter to their values.

There are plenty of people in the world that make terrible mistakes in their personal lives but are phenomenal professionally. From what I have heard, this describes RP pretty well. The only real concern here that would be a problem for the AD is his age.

Actually, the thread appears to be mostly adults, with a few holier than thou types sprinkled in that don't understand how this game works. Nobody is talking about hiring Pitino to be their personal counselor or spiritual guide. Players choose SU so they can have a shot at professional basketball. Isn't it funny how the Boeheims aren't repulsed by Rick, and yet we have posters talking about how hiring him would ruin the reputation of the university? Are you saying their reputation is compromised? Also funny that that hasn't happened to Iona, another respected institution. In fact, a catholic institution... that did not see hiring Pitino as counter to their values.

There are plenty of people in the world that make terrible mistakes in their personal lives but are phenomenal professionally. From what I have heard, this describes RP pretty well. The only real concern here that would be a problem for the AD is his age.
I care more about the mistakes he made as a coach. I look at who else is out there, and Cooley from PC jumps off the page. solid results at a program that had struggled. No major red flags, and coaches at a Catholic university which appears to be a barometer of sound decision making with their history I can see why.

I don't think it is holier than thou to assume we don't need to go after a guy like Pitino. I have friends that are knuckleheads. doesn't mean I would choose them to represent my company. I think its ok to think we can do better in the character category for our HC position

Hope you would be happy when he sues your alm mata, as that is not an unlikely end game. Iona is a minor team, evidently desperate to become relevant. No major program would hire Slick Rick. Incidentally, I know more about him than you do. In a P-5 school the basketball coach is a whole hell of a lot more than the coach. He is the highest paid person and he is the face of the university.

I was very opposed to the idea initially. I can't stand Pitino. However, then I thought more about the current state of our program and how badly I'd like us get back to relevance. That's why now, I'd welcome him with open arms. It might take two seasons before we got ranked in top 25.

Hope you would be happy when he sues your alm mata, as that is not an unlikely end game. Iona is a minor team, evidently desperate to become relevant. No major program would hire Slick Rick. Incidentally, I know more about him than you do. In a P-5 school the basketball coach is a whole hell of a lot more than the coach. He is the highest paid person and he is the face of the university.
Do you know more? Do you feel comfortable sharing? P5 programs actually do appear to be sniffing around Rick. Are you implying he would sue SU? Why? It doesn't look like you actually disagreed with my post that much, just that you seem to hate Rick personally. Big mistake in business, and this is a business.

I care more about the mistakes he made as a coach. I look at who else is out there, and Cooley from PC jumps off the page. solid results at a program that had struggled. No major red flags, and coaches at a Catholic university which appears to be a barometer of sound decision making with their history I can see why.

I don't think it is holier than thou to assume we don't need to go after a guy like Pitino. I have friends that are knuckleheads. doesn't mean I would choose them to represent my company. I think its ok to think we can do better in the character category for our HC position
You have a problem with his coaching? Can you elaborate?

JHC. Rick will not be coming to coach at SU.
While the thought of Ricky P coming to coach SU for 5 or so years replacing Boeheim is intriguing, we all know there isn’t a chance in hell the SU Board goes in that direction. Like zero chance.

You have a problem with his coaching? Can you elaborate?
I don’t have in game coaching issues. I have issues with the fact that he was twice caught with significant violations. There were the years of hiring prostitutes for recruiting visits, and the cash payments from Adidas to players. I think he lacks ethics and if the argument is that other coaches do too I guess we just have different expectations.

I don’t have in game coaching issues. I have issues with the fact that he was twice caught with significant violations. There were the years of hiring prostitutes for recruiting visits, and the cash payments from Adidas to players. I think he lacks ethics and if the argument is that other coaches do too I guess we just have different expectations.
You said "I care more about the mistakes he made as a coach." I'm not quite sure how to reconcile your two posts.

You said "I care more about the mistakes he made as a coach." I'm not quite sure how to reconcile your two posts.
The mistakes he made as a coach versus his personal life. You see he is the coach of the team in all capacities. Player development,recruitment, player retention, in game management etc. His mistakes were in his professional capacity as the coach of the team.

The mistakes he made as a coach versus his personal life. You see he is the coach of the team in all capacities. Player development,recruitment, player retention, in game management etc. His mistakes were in his professional capacity as the coach of the team.
Gottcha; you can see why that was very confusing.

I really wanted Pitino to replace JB in ~2005/06 when it was apparent that JB was not recruiting well, and seemed to have lost his groove (actually, he seemed to be coasting). Pitino was the prefect replacement and would probably have done even better here than at UL, and maybe he doesn't pick up any baggage here, although there was baggage here even without him. The problems, of course, were that Pitino was already at UL and JB was never leaving while he was alive - ships passing in the night. At this point, I see no reason to bring Rick in going forward; too short term. We can get another, very good, long term coach to replace JB.

JHC. Rick will not be coming to coach at SU.
Bill is the issue ricks transgressions or do you think His last stop is the NBA? There’s no way Iona is his last stop.

You think he goes back to his alma mader Umass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom