Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitino wouldn't realistically want the Syracuse job. At this point, I would think he could realistically get other high profile jobs as well as Syracuse. I understand, from those in the know, that Rick is very happy living right near Winged Foot and being thisclose to NYC. I doubt he'll move to CNY for the end of his career.

I say all of this w the proviso that I think Syracuse is a top 10 job. I just don't think Pitino is going to chase a top 10 job that is in CNY and following his friend who may already be campaigning for someone else.

It's beyond illogical from Pitino's side and the school's side.

Pitino wouldn't realistically want the Syracuse job. At this point, I would think he could realistically get other high profile jobs as well as Syracuse. I understand, from those in the know, that Rick is very happy living right near Winged Foot and being thisclose to NYC. I doubt he'll move to CNY for the end of his career.

I say all of this w the proviso that I think Syracuse is a top 10 job. I just don't think Pitino is going to chase a top 10 job that is in CNY and following his friend who may already be campaigning for someone else.

First, he won't be coaching at SU. Final stop is Iona. Second, he does not live right near WF, he lives ON WF. His home is right behind the 3rd green.

It's also "beyond illogical" that he's coach at Iona right now, isn't it?

If you don’t think RP would take the cuse job, if offered, you’re out of your mind….

If we can’t figure out how to navigate the program and take significant advantage of NIL, we might as well shut the whole athletic department down. How or why would a school ever get into the position where they could even remotely risk an NCAA investigation?
I was being facetious, given our sordid NCAA history.

He also coached in Greece for a few years after L’ville went to hell. I bet not many people could have seen that.

First, he won't be coaching at SU. Final stop is Iona. Second, he does not live right near WF, he lives ON WF. His home is right behind the 3rd green.
i didn't want to give up his address to the psycho paths on this page

Iona did him a solid. I think he feels like he owes them. It's also illogical Mike Pressler coaches Bryant College for lax. Sometimes the loyalty is real.

Rick isn't coaching Syracuse, isn't going to be asked to coach them.

I agree with 100% of everyone though. If the stars aligned and i was wrong, i'd be very happy. He's a fantastic coach and would win. It's inevitable. He's inevitable.

He’s a SU alum too.

I think Greg is doing pretty well obviously got the job under interesting circumstances and was a 3-4 years earlier than I think he was truly ready but he's learning on the job and like many have said seems to really be putting everything into it. Niagara was hot garbage when he took over hopefully they can get a winning record and keep building. A guy like Greg will be probably given 4 full years there before they think about getting rid of him

Iona did him a solid. I think he feels like he owes them. It's also illogical Mike Pressler coaches Bryant College for lax. Sometimes the loyalty is real.

Rick isn't coaching Syracuse, isn't going to be asked to coach them.

I agree with 100% of everyone though. If the stars aligned and i was wrong, i'd be very happy. He's a fantastic coach and would win. It's inevitable. He's inevitable.

Iona did him a solid because his buddy is probably Iona's biggest donor as the business school has his name on it. Bob Lapenta. That may have swayed a few people but he's still basically unemployable to most respectable institutions

Ricky Bobby

Last edited:

He’d take it in a heartbeat. This is a redemption opportunity on an enormous level. He was coaching in Turkey or something less than 2 years ago, and quickly jumped at the only offer on the table…in tiny New Rochelle, NY. He’s making the most of the Iona opportunity because in spite of everything, Rick Pitino is a top 10 all-time coach.
Syracuse would be the perfect story arc, and he’d jump at the chance. JMHO

Listen, I watched Big Shot on Disney+, and if John Stamos er Marvyn Korn can redeem himself by coaching women's highschool basketball in California, Rick Pitino sure as Hell can redeem himself by coaching men's basketball in Syracuse's own Dome.

Iona did him a solid because his buddy is probably Iona's biggest donor as the business school has his name on it. Bob Lapenta. That may have swayed a few people but he's still basically unemployable to most respectable institutions

Ricky Bobby
If he was leaving he'd be dropping media bread crumbs right now. He's a master of the PR spin to grease the exit. Wildhack would even drop the crumbs i'm sure too with ESPN college hoops writers ("Pitino's Last Stand at Iona?" type headlines).

He's staying put. The discussion comes down to Red, Gerry, or Hopkins. Those are your choices. Choose your adventure

If he was leaving he'd be dropping media bread crumbs right now. He's a master of the PR spin to grease the exit. Wildhack would even drop the crumbs i'm sure too with ESPN college hoops writers ("Pitino's Last Stand at Iona?" type headlines).

He's staying put. The discussion comes down to Red, Gerry, or Hopkins. Those are your choices. Choose your adventure
Choice 4: the 4th wall. Walk away.

Nate Oats is one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Is syracuse willing to pay him 4 million to even start a conversation. He has it made there and comparing the state of each program why would he kill himself to resurrect this program after already doing it twice before.
Alabama lost to Mizzou, the worst P5 team in the country. And Davidson. Just saying.

(I have nothing against Oats. Those losses are considered fireable offenses by many on this board, though.)

No.
You're right, they would probably handle us. They crushed Colgate.

In all seriousness, I don't think Syracuse fans understand how far SU has slipped in terms of perception nationally. Comparing us to SJU is laughable historically, but in the present that's about where people elsewhere see us, as my friends from WVU, ASU and colleagues from all over constantly remind me (at least we beat ASU, but misery loves company).

You're right, they would probably handle us. They crushed Colgate.

In all seriousness, I don't think Syracuse fans understand how far SU has slipped in terms of perception nationally. Comparing us to SJU is laughable historically, but in the present that's about where people elsewhere see us, as my friends from WVU, ASU and colleagues from all over constantly remind me (at least we beat ASU, but misery loves company).
Anecdotal.

Since this thread continues to live, I will throw out a couple of names then ...duck and cover. First name is Jeff Van Gundy. Coached in NBA as head coach for Houston and for NY Knicks. He is an upstate NY native Brockport high school & Nazareth College. He is about 60 years old and has recently coached one of the US National teams. The second person is really off the wall. Brad Stevens. He was promoted from head coach at Celtics to President of Celtics but Danny Ainge is still hanging around? Not sure how long he will remain in that non-coaching slot. A few years ago Indiana offered him $70M for 7 years and he turned it down. But he was still the Celtics coach at the time. I honestly think he will get back into college coaching in a few years. It is his first love, and just remember what he did at Butler. He is only 45 years old and I am sure the $8-10M range is too high for Syracuse but ...... you never know unless you try. Good challenge for our AD. Now I duck and cover!!

Alabama lost to Mizzou, the worst P5 team in the country. And Davidson. Just saying.

(I have nothing against Oats. Those losses are considered fireable offenses by many on this board, though.)
This is not a one off down season, since the 14-15 season we have won a mere 58% of all games and have not once had a prolonged period of being ranked or a legit national title contender.

Also what makes Missouri at 7-7 any worse of a team than us. They certainly have a way better win and we have our share of bad losses.

This is not a one off down season, since the 14-15 season we have won a mere 58% of all games and have not once had a prolonged period of being ranked or a legit national title contender.

Also what makes Missouri at 7-7 any worse of a team than us. They certainly have a way better win and we have our share of bad losses.
They had the lowest NET ranking of any P5 school.

Perception is reality in this biz. It certainly will be to JB's successor.
You have some friends with some opinions. They do not represent anyone but themselves.

You have some friends with some opinions. They do not represent anyone but themselves.
I fear that you are in serious denial. I don't blame you. Nobody fears or cares about SU bball anymore nationally. We got boatraced by Colgate and continue to descend. I'm happy for JB that he got to coach his sons, but that's the only value of this season for... anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.