Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a coincidence...
A friend of mine is on the treadmill at the gym this evening.
She looks over and there's Rick Pitino on another treadmill.

I advised her to stay away from any pool tables if the gym has them.
And if she gets the opportunity...ask him if he'd ever coach Syracuse if Boeheim left.

Since this thread continues to live, I will throw out a couple of names then ...duck and cover. First name is Jeff Van Gundy. Coached in NBA as head coach for Houston and for NY Knicks. He is an upstate NY native Brockport high school & Nazareth College. He is about 60 years old and has recently coached one of the US National teams. The second person is really off the wall. Brad Stevens. He was promoted from head coach at Celtics to President of Celtics but Danny Ainge is still hanging around? Not sure how long he will remain in that non-coaching slot. A few years ago Indiana offered him $70M for 7 years and he turned it down. But he was still the Celtics coach at the time. I honestly think he will get back into college coaching in a few years. It is his first love, and just remember what he did at Butler. He is only 45 years old and I am sure the $8-10M range is too high for Syracuse but ... you never know unless you try. Good challenge for our AD. Now I duck and cover!!
Brad Stevens can't win the big one.

I fear that you are in serious denial. I don't blame you. Nobody fears or cares about SU bball anymore nationally. We got boatraced by Colgate and continue to descend. I'm happy for JB that he got to coach his sons, but that's the only value of this season for... anybody.
You know, I have friends, too. Even some who went to ASU. None of them think we’re St. John’s. They still respect SU and JB.

Of all people, you should know better than to use such a small sample size to determine anything. I mean, you’re referencing alumni from schools we’ve had our way with over the years. Have you ever considered they’re just bitter?

So let’s be clear. This debate is about two things and two things only:

1. Your hot take about us being St. John’s
2. Using your friends as evidence

If he was leaving he'd be dropping media bread crumbs right now. He's a master of the PR spin to grease the exit. Wildhack would even drop the crumbs i'm sure too with ESPN college hoops writers ("Pitino's Last Stand at Iona?" type headlines).

He's staying put. The discussion comes down to Red, Gerry, or Hopkins. Those are your choices. Choose your adventure
Hart.

Oats.

Stevens.
Popovich.
Donovan.

Mark Few.

He makes $1.8 million at Gonzaga. Getting him to the $3 million range (JB makes just about that last I checked) would be a big bump for him, and not far out line with the current JB salary. That's a dude that knows how to recruit and coach in Spokane. He can do it here.

That said he's been there so long not sure if he will ever want to leave
Will never leave the West Coast.

Hart.

Oats.

Stevens.
Popovich.
Donovan.
I don’t see Hart coming back to Syracuse. He almost didn’t come in the first place.

Has he even been to a game at the Dome since he left?

I don’t see Hart coming back to Syracuse. He almost didn’t come in the first place.

Has he even been to a game at the Dome since he left?

Would be the highest paying and highest profile job he’s had, by far.

Read these comments. I think he’d take it in a heartbeat based on some of the things he said. “Getting out of comfort zone.” “Wanted to be a college head coach.
Jason Hart left his comfort zone to coach G League Ignite

Would be the highest paying and highest profile job he’s had, by far.

Read these comments. I think he’d take it in a heartbeat based on some of the things he said. “Getting out of comfort zone.” “Wanted to be a college head coach.
Jason Hart left his comfort zone to coach G League Ignite
The only quote that stood out to me in that regard was where he said he would listen to the first opportunity he gets to be a college head coach.

On the flip side, he has only coached in LA since he retired. I’ll ask again, has he made any return visits to Syracuse?

When I first heard the idea about hiring Pitino at Syracuse, I wanted to hurl. I was vehemently against it. Then I thought about how quickly he would likely elevate the program into the top 15 consistently. I welcome Rick, even though I loathe him. I'm sorry, I just want to win again.

Can't believe the names people are throwing out as candidates...Stevens, Poppervich, Few, Van Gundy...

Well why not Pat Riley? He can coach two years still.
Riley needs the sun, no way. But... Stevens I like. Although, I'll stick with Pitino. I made a deal with the devil.

You know, I have friends, too. Even some who went to ASU. None of them think we’re St. John’s. They still respect SU and JB.

Of all people, you should know better than to use such a small sample size to determine anything. I mean, you’re referencing alumni from schools we’ve had our way with over the years. Have you ever considered they’re just bitter?

So let’s be clear. This debate is about two things and two things only:

1. Your hot take about us being St. John’s
2. Using your friends as evidence
Okay, how's this: a very large number of people I don't personally know also agree. Anybody without a sentimental attachment to the program seems to express similar sentiments... if they are being kind. If they are just being honest... well, the takes are painful to see.

Sorry man, the program is a shell of itself.

Pitino is not an option.

If you’re SU, you need to expect to pay much more than JB is currently making to entice a proven P5 head coach.

Whether you can do that or not is another story. I personally think you can, but who knows in the current climate. If we want a Top 25-type coach, it’s going to cost $4-6M. Right now, Boeheim makes half that.

If you can’t pay that, here are a couple options that have had head coaching success that might make sense in the $2-3M range. In my opinion, head coaching success is a key. The risk is too great hiring a top assistant, at least in my opinion. These names may not be s e x y, but they have done some nice things at other places.

Matt Langel - Colgate: Snapped a forever long streak against SU, turned Colgate into top team in a pretty good Patriot League. Philadelphia guy who might take a while to grow into this level but he’s had success. Probably could get him for much less than $2M if you wanted. Thanks

Mark Schmidt - St. Bonaventure: Has done an unbelievable job at both Robert Morris and St. Bonaventure. Makes about $1.2M now. SBU could not compete with $3M. Would instantly have the ability to find talent.

Ryan Odom - Utah State: Makes $800K, led UMBC to historic upset. A good, young coach. Could be a Jay Wright type.

Okay, how's this: a very large number of people I don't personally know also agree. Anybody without a sentimental attachment to the program seems to express similar sentiments... if they are being kind. If they are just being honest... well, the takes are painful to see.

Sorry man, the program is a shell of itself.
Now you’re saying a very large number of people think we’re at the level of St. John’s? You know who you sound like, right?

Pitino is not an option.

If you’re SU, you need to expect to pay much more than JB is currently making to entice a proven P5 head coach.

Whether you can do that or not is another story. I personally think you can, but who knows in the current climate. If we want a Top 25-type coach, it’s going to cost $4-6M. Right now, Boeheim makes half that.

If you can’t pay that, here are a couple options that have had head coaching success that might make sense in the $2-3M range. In my opinion, head coaching success is a key. The risk is too great hiring a top assistant, at least in my opinion. These names may not be s e x y, but they have done some nice things at other places.

Matt Langel - Colgate: Snapped a forever long streak against SU, turned Colgate into top team in a pretty good Patriot League. Philadelphia guy who might take a while to grow into this level but he’s had success. Probably could get him for much less than $2M if you wanted. Thanks

Mark Schmidt - St. Bonaventure: Has done an unbelievable job at both Robert Morris and St. Bonaventure. Makes about $1.2M now. SBU could not compete with $3M. Would instantly have the ability to find talent.

Ryan Odom - Utah State: Makes $800K, led UMBC to historic upset. A good, young coach. Could be a Jay Wright type.
Colgate is a top patriot league team? They’re steaming garbage this year.

Odom? What has he done?

Can't believe the names people are throwing out as candidates...Stevens, Poppervich, Few, Van Gundy...

Well why not Pat Riley? He can coach two years still.
Yeah I'm not sure why its a ridiculous idea to even ask Few. Yes, he probably isn't coming, and yes he seems to be embedded on the west coast. But he's a damn good coach and it costs nothing to make a phone all and offer to double his salary. If he says no, we move down the list. We are in the top handful of programs in wins all time. You dont start at Colgate, you (mercifully) end there.

You start at top of the list, not the middle.

Actually Syracuse usually does start at the middle, at least for football.

One of two things is going to happen when Boeheim leaves. The last bit of cache the program had falls and we become DePaul, or we hire a huge name, massively proven coach.

You're right, they would probably handle us. They crushed Colgate.

In all seriousness, I don't think Syracuse fans understand how far SU has slipped in terms of perception nationally. Comparing us to SJU is laughable historically, but in the present that's about where people elsewhere see us, as my friends from WVU, ASU and colleagues from all over constantly remind me (at least we beat ASU, but misery loves company).
Your friends don’t sound very knowledgeable about basketball. We beat WVU six months ago on our way to the sweet 16. We were in the Final Four five years ago. ASU has never been to a Final Four ever and WVU has only been to one in the modern era. Oh by the way, we beat Arizona State on our way to the Sweet 16 in both 2009 and 2018.

Now you’re saying a very large number of people think we’re at the level of St. John’s? You know who you sound like, right?
A realist? Looks like you're caught between stages one and two. Let's chat when you get to bargaining.

Your friends don’t sound very knowledgeable about basketball. We beat WVU six months ago on our way to the sweet 16. We were in the Final Four five years ago. ASU has never been to a Final Four ever and WVU has only been to one in the modern era. Oh by the way, we beat Arizona State on our way to the Sweet 16 in both 2009 and 2018.
What does any of that have to do with the sad state of current affairs? Nothing. You guys are starting to sound like all of the UConn fans we would mock... which has really tailed off on the board this season. I wonder why?

Hold your nose and give him the keys to rebuild the program. I have very little doubt that he'd a be a rousing success, putting us in prime position to land a big name when he finally decides to hang it up.

Hire The Swordsman.
Sorry, but I think that would be great!

Colgate is a top patriot league team? They’re steaming garbage this year.

Odom? What has he done?
I'm just saying - if you are paying $2-3M, these are the candidates you're getting. Need to pony up if you want to get a premium name. Not sure we are likely to or not.

A realist? Looks like you're caught between stages one and two. Let's chat when you get to bargaining.
That’s cute, but you know who likes to back up his outrageous statements with nothing more than, “A lot of people are saying.”

Status
Not open for further replies.