Pitino on Syracuse fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino on Syracuse fans

The ACC ain't playing in Brooklyn. That gym isn't all that big (not sure what the hotel deal is there). We'll see how happy MSG is with Temple and SMU.

I would vote for Charlotte as it is a much nicer city with a major airport. I am not a fan of Greensboro at all.
Charlottes a larger city certainly, but I was offered a job in both and took Greensboro because it seems nicer and th people I know down there all prefer it as a place to live.

The ACC ain't playing in Brooklyn. That gym isn't all that big (not sure what the hotel deal is there). We'll see how happy MSG is with Temple and SMU.

Well, they'll have 10 years to find out. Ten. A decade. Locked up.

Barclays is gonna seat around 16K for BB, right? ACC has drawn flies at almost every non-NC Tournament, so the idea that they need to worry about arena size in Brooklyn is laughable. If the BC is available, they have to make a play for it. A-10 can be bought.

I just can't see the ACC giving up their own tradition to move any part of the tournament to the north. I love having the big east tournament at msg but it's a pipedream and is not going to happen unless the ACC expands to 16 and it has ND and UConn...maybe Louisville.

Charlottes a larger city certainly, but I was offered a job in both and took Greensboro because it seems nicer and th people I know down there all prefer it as a place to live.

The only time I go to Greensboro is to drive through it to get to Raleigh. But hey you may love it there. Not my cup of tea!

The acc tournament hasn't been half of what the nbe tournament has been the last 8 years and the Acc knows it.
I imagine MSG would be super happy to have both conference tournaments there. Saying all the NBA stars out of Duke, UNC, Cuse played there.

The acc tournament hasn't been half of what the nbe tournament has been the last 8 years and the Acc knows it.
MSG could be super happy to have both conference tournaments there. Saying all the NBA stars out of Duke, UNC, Cuse played there.
How would both tournaments at MSG work? Unless the BE moved theirs up a week and they accept they've become a mid-major you can't play both at the same time.

The only time I go to Greensboro is to drive through it to get to Raleigh. But hey you may love it there. Not my cup of tea!

I agree with Guinness. Greensboro is nothing special. RDU or Charlotte are much nicer. The state of NC has grown on me a bit in the last year I've lived here. It only took four years.

Oh, and Pitino is nuts. Cuse fans owned the RBC Center for the N.C. State game.

Well, they'll have 10 years to find out. Ten. A decade. Locked up.

Barclays is gonna seat around 16K for BB, right? ACC has drawn flies at almost every non-NC Tournament, so the idea that they need to worry about arena size in Brooklyn is laughable. If the BC is available, they have to make a play for it. A-10 can be bought.
If the ACC plays their tournament in Barclays or MSG, 50-75% of the arena will be filled with Syracuse fans. All they have to worry about is getting some UNC fans to travel. If its a round robin and they play NYC every few years I would imagine even southerners wouldnt mind following their team up for a tournament as a vacation.

Rick is simply jealous of JB. JB is beloved in the community and trusted by
the players and fans. Rick will never acheive that because he is always looking for a greener septic tank to stand on.

I agree with Guinness. Greensboro is nothing special. RDU or Charlotte are much nicer. The state of NC has grown on me a bit in the last year I've lived here. It only took four years.

Oh, and Pitino is nuts. Cuse fans owned the RBC Center for the N.C. State game.
Out of curiosity, since I'm moving down there I should learn these... The "RD" part I assume is Raleigh Durham... whats the U? That just for the schools in the area?

If the ACC plays their tournament in Barclays or MSG, 50-75% of the arena will be filled with Syracuse fans. All they have to worry about is getting some UNC fans to travel. If its a round robin and they play NYC every few years I would imagine even southerners wouldnt mind following their team up for a tournament as a vacation.

Lots of Duke fans in this area also. They usually draw well when they play at MSG or in Jersey.

Out of curiosity, since I'm moving down there I should learn these... The "RD" part I assume is Raleigh Durham... whats the U? That just for the schools in the area?

Take the "R" from Raleigh and then add the "DU" from Durham. It's also the airport code for the area.

Pitino is and has always been a schmuck.

I can't envision how any non-Louisville fan would like him.

OK- I have to ask this.
Either you're one of the most negative posters this board has seen, since almost every response to any issue is some sorta dig at the players, program, or fellow board members.
Or, you're just a FUGAZY...a false-flagger...who's not really an SU fan but comes around to spread toxicity from time to time.
Seriously...which is it?

You are obsessed with me.

Rick is simply jealous of JB. JB is beloved in the community and trusted by
the players and fans. Rick will never acheive that because he is always looking for a greener septic tank to stand on.

Over the last number of years, Pitino has had several chances to leave U of L. I hear about it all first hand. He hasn't and has indicated he will retire here in several years. There's no reason to leave for anywhere anymore. Yours is a typical wrong perception. I can tell you he is well liked and trusted in the community (except by UK fans of course). Just clarifying...

Pitino is and has always been a schmuck.

I can't envision how any non-Louisville fan would like him.

RF, I respect you as a poster, and your opinion is fine. However, living here, I have come to know a good deal about him and his program. You're right, some non-Louisville fans don't like him. Certainly not all. But it's funny how some label and judge him forever from afar based on limited knowledge or one incident long ago that has no bearing today. I'm not a RP defender and certainly don't agree with everything he's done, but just trying to show fairness and perspective here. Something to consider I suppose.

I was at the NC State game last year (drove from Richmond) and we owned it. We travel well and there is no reason to expect that to change. It will probably only increase.

Why the outrage?

"There's not that many Syracuse alums on Tobacco Road" pretty clearly comes with the tacit "...compared to the number of Syracuse alumni in New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and pretty much everywhere in the Northeast." Which is true.

So there was a lot of Orange in Raleigh. Yeah, it was cool on television, and probably cooler in person. But that's likely to be the exception in the ACC, especially compared to what we've seen at Georgetown, Seton Hall, Rutgers, St. John's, Villanova, Providence (and DePaul and South Florida).

No matter how many disillusioned upstaters have moved to the Carolinas, it's a pretty small number compared to the alumni base and non-alumni supporters in the Northeast. That's not a bad thing to say, even if the Louisville coach (who, incidentally, probably knows a thing or two about playing most road games away from the bulk of the alumni base) is the guy who says it.

Why the outrage?

"There's not that many Syracuse alums on Tobacco Road" pretty clearly comes with the tacit "...compared to the number of Syracuse alumni in New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and pretty much everywhere in the Northeast." Which is true.

So there was a lot of Orange in Raleigh. Yeah, it was cool on television, and probably cooler in person. But that's likely to be the exception in the ACC, especially compared to what we've seen at Georgetown, Seton Hall, Rutgers, St. John's, Villanova, Providence (and DePaul and South Florida).

No matter how many disillusioned upstaters have moved to the Carolinas, it's a pretty small number compared to the alumni base and non-alumni supporters in the Northeast. That's not a bad thing to say, even if the Louisville coach (who, incidentally, probably knows a thing or two about playing most road games away from the bulk of the alumni base) is the guy who says it.

it's not like SU dominates every visiting court now, but given past history it is reasonable to anticipate fairly large Orange contingents in Boston, Maryland, Miami, FSU and possibly Virginia and VPI - that's half the conference

it's not like SU dominates every visiting court now, but given past history it is reasonable to anticipate fairly large Orange contingents in Boston, Maryland, Miami, FSU and possibly Virginia and VPI - that's half the conference

Yeah, we only draw well at half the other Big East schools; hard to figure what percentage we'll dominate down there. I tried to count before making the post; I don't remember getting a road game against Tech before their departure, so I'm not sure what to expect there. I wouldn't count on taking over at Maryland; they seem to draw quite well against name opponents. I anticipated the same thing at UVA - I don't recall dominating the 2007 game down there, and that arena is small enough that I think it'll be a tough SU ticket.

Expecting to own NC State, BC, and Miami. Not sure what to expect from FSU. Thought Wake might be a possibility, especially if they stay down. Don't know anything about Clemson.

Regardless of the exact number, it's clear that we're moving away from our base.

How would both tournaments at MSG work? Unless the BE moved theirs up a week and they accept they've become a mid-major you can't play both at the same time.
It could work if the BE plays all their games between 1 AM and 11 AM.

Charlottes a larger city certainly, but I was offered a job in both and took Greensboro because it seems nicer and the people I know down there all prefer it as a place to live.
Charlotte is alot more Modern South versus Older South, but its absolutely a great place to live.
Coming from NYC, the transition to Charlotte has been alot easier than if we'd gone to a Greensboro or even a Raleigh, which has older architecture, etc.
As for SU fans filling up Carolina games, I'd say thats almost a guarantee. There are hordes of NEastern transplants here, and ALOT of Cuse fans.

Maryland against a good team is a very tough ticket to get. This isn't like Georgetown at the Verizon Center. Maryland has a huge fan base. They sell out all the season tickets they offer and have a big waiting list. I'd say a few hundred Orange fans would be as much as you'll see.