Pitino on Syracuse fans | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino on Syracuse fans

Maryland against a good team is a very tough ticket to get. This isn't like Georgetown at the Verizon Center. Maryland has a huge fan base. They sell out all the season tickets they offer and have a big waiting list. I'd say a few hundred Orange fans would be as much as you'll see.
Good, that is how it should be, and I hope they hate us with a passion.

Good, that is how it should be, and I hope they hate us with a passion.

Fog, the Maryland crowd hates everybody. In fact, many feel its the nastiest crowd in college sports.

The Duke "Cameron Crazies" get all the pub. But Maryland is a very difficult place for the visiting team and the crowd has been called "vile". As opposed to sitting in the corner or in the end zone, the Maryland student body takes up one side of the stands.

Boeheim ain't going to like this. He better get his old buddy, Gary Williams, to sit on the SU bench.

Well, they'll have 10 years to find out. Ten. A decade. Locked up.

Barclays is gonna seat around 16K for BB, right? ACC has drawn flies at almost every non-NC Tournament, so the idea that they need to worry about arena size in Brooklyn is laughable. If the BC is available, they have to make a play for it. A-10 can be bought.

It certainly packed DC when it was in DC. I don't think SU, UNC, Duke would have a hard time selling 16k tix between the 3 of us with scalpers having a field day.

The Georgia Dome was probably ambitious. I type this from Tampa now, think they had it here once, I can see why no one would go.

The ACC tournament was at Philips Arena this past season and tickets appeared to be readily available.

The SEC tournament (when held in Atlanta) is held at the Georgia Dome... it's practically all Kentucky blue. They don't call it "Catlanta" for nothing.

Fog, the Maryland crowd hates everybody. In fact, many feel its the nastiest crowd in college sports.

The Duke "Cameron Crazies" get all the pub. But Maryland is a very difficult place for the visiting team and the crowd has been called "vile". As opposed to sitting in the corner or in the end zone, the Maryland student body takes up one side of the stands.

Boeheim ain't going to like this. He better get his old buddy, Gary Williams, to sit on the SU bench.
Good, that is the way college athletics should be. Lots of student support, a bit rowdy is ok as long as it doesn't get dangerous. I love the fact that SU travels so well and we fill opposing arenas, but I look forward to new rivalries with fan bases that can fill a stadium, particularly their own.

Good, that is the way college athletics should be. Lots of student support, a bit rowdy is ok as long as it doesn't get dangerous. I love the fact that SU travels so well and we fill opposing arenas, but I look forward to new rivalries with fan bases that can fill a stadium, particularly their own.

Fog, his will be good. Not everybody has focused in on this yet. But we are shortly in a conference with schools that are more like SU.

All we need to do is to get a bit more competitive in football.

Basketball is going to be great. We've never been the typical rough-house Big East team anyway and the ACC is much more a finesse conference. I think SU will draw well away and I think CNY people will like waching the ACC teams even beyond the UNC's and Duke's.

Lacrosse will be great, although we have played these guys in the past. But we have never played in a tourney like the ACC tourney which is a mini-NCAA tourney.

Fog, his will be good. Not everybody has focused in on this yet. But we are shortly in a conference with schools that are more like SU.

All we need to do is to get a bit more competitive in football.

Basketball is going to be great. We've never been the typical rough-house Big East team anyway and the ACC is much more a finesse conference. I think SU will draw well away and I think CNY people will like waching the ACC teams even beyond the UNC's and Duke's.

Lacrosse will be great, although we have played these guys in the past. But we have never played in a tourney like the ACC tourney which is a mini-NCAA tourney.
Agree on all counts, I can't wait. It will take a few years to be accepted, and some say we will never be accepted equally, but I am a bit more optimistic. We all hold on to memories of the battles with Georgetown and the old Big East, but those days have long past. Not much could match those days in the mid to late eighties, but the Big East isn't going back there. What we have is a conference with great potential rivalries in all sports, I can't wait.

...We've never been the typical rough-house Big East team anyway and the ACC is much more a finesse conference. ..

This is what I'm most excited for; we've lost so many games (like, uh, all but three times we've played Pittsburgh in the past 11 years) because of the thug-ball and loose officiating. It'll be interesting to see how things go if we can play league games in the 80s and not worry about all the hand-checking on the perimeter and wrestling matches in the post.

[I see college basketball getting more physical and poorly officiated across the board - NCAA doesn't seem inclined to improve the situation - but perhaps we'll see the softer ACC style of play hold on for some time longer.]

I would vote for Charlotte as it is a much nicer city with a major airport. I am not a fan of Greensboro at all.
Agree on that. Greensboro is about as boring of a place that you can find. Other than pure tradition there is no real value with the ACC tourney there. Charlotte would be a great location but 'The Great State of Mecklenburg' is also traditionally shunned by the boys in Raleigh.

Agree on all counts, I can't wait. It will take a few years to be accepted, and some say we will never be accepted equally, but I am a bit more optimistic. We all hold on to memories of the battles with Georgetown and the old Big East, but those days have long past. Not much could match those days in the mid to late eighties, but the Big East isn't going back there. What we have is a conference with great potential rivalries in all sports, I can't wait.

I hope we see a future rivalry established with Hop v Wojo. That would be cool, but many what ifs for that to come to fruition.

I seriously doubt we'll ever be truly accepted by some. There are those who still cling to the ACC as a Southern "good ole boy" conference, but winning should cure all that nonsense.
We start kickin' ass & taking names, and who cares whether they accept us or not! :cool:

I seriously doubt we'll ever be truly accepted by some. There are those who still cling to the ACC as a Southern "good ole boy" conference, but winning should cure all that nonsense.
We start kickin' ass & taking names, and who cares whether they accept us or not! :cool:
Yeah, if we beat them on a regular basis, at least they will afford us the proper hate we deserve (on top of the yankee BS hate).