Pitt Expected to bolt the Big East if WVU goes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Expected to bolt the Big East if WVU goes

The ACC will not want to cause the BE to lose its football for 2012, and that is what will happen if Pitt and Cuse leave now along with WVU. But the ACC is acting to get Pitt and Cuse out of the BE and playing in the ACC for the 2013 season.

That's very nice of the ACC, who didn't care a whit about that in 2003, or when they struck first this time. That's just PR, son.

The ACC will not want to cause the BE to lose its football for 2012, and that is what will happen if Pitt and Cuse leave now along with WVU. But the ACC is acting to get Pitt and Cuse out of the BE and playing in the ACC for the 2013 season.

This why the departing schools should have been negotiating with the MWC and C-USA to allow the incoming teams released from their current conferences for the 2012 season. If the BE can bring in three teams next year, the loss of the SU, Pitt and WVU will be lessened.

Gosh, I feel just the opposite.

I can't wait to face BC, MD, Clemson, FSU, Wake Forest and three Coastal Division teams - Miami, GA Tech, NC, Va Tech- in football.

Death Valley every two years? Forget about it! It will be great!

And, I really can't wait to see NC, Duke, MD, NC State, UVA and rest in the Dome.

When Duke comes to town, the Dome will be juiced!!!

Wow! Can't wait!

Ah. I'm in no hurry. I'd rather play Gtown and UConn in hoops than Duke and Carolina.

ACC hoops bores me to death.

Can't wait for our first Sunday night game.

Ah. I'm in no hurry. I'd rather play Gtown and UConn in hoops than Duke and Carolina.

ACC hoops bores me to death.

Can't wait for our first Sunday night game.

We are the perfect fit for the ACC. We are going to be instant contenders. Just look at how we've played against them these past 10-20 years. We have the fast breaking running game of a Carolina, with the drive and dish game of a Duke, but we play a unique defense that takes away much of their offensive game plans. Plus neither are as physical as Pitt, UConn or Georgetown, historically speaking. We are made to win this league. We will be and remain contenders, unlike BC, for intance.

Question

I have seen people on the internet say the BE cannot operate as a 5 team FB conference and would need an NCAA waiver. Why? What say does the NCAA have for how big a conference is in FB? This isn't BBall where there is a minimum required in order to qualify for the NCAAT. So why would the NCAA have to approve it? If Pitt and SU were to leave couldn't the BE be at 5 teams for one year and easily fill their schedule by playing each other twice (8 conference games, 4 home and 4 away)?

As to the BCS, that is controlled by the BCS conferences NOT the NCAA. They set the rules as to who is eligible and who is not. The NCAA cannot dictate who gets in. And everything I have read, the standards in keeping one's auto bid has to do with evaluating over a period of years. I have not seen anything about minimum size of a conference. So wouldn't it be in the BE's interests to have a 5 team conference next year? Wouldn't it be better to split $20 million 5 ways vs 7 or 8? Wouldn't it be better to have one of the 5 left over schools going to the BCS and not have the chance that WV, Pitt, or SU show up?

The NCAA can mandate what makes a "conference" in the literal sense. For example, "ACC Lacrosse" isn't technically a conference. UNC, Duke, Maryland, and Virginia does not a conference make. But in the end, it benefits them because they have 4 strong teams and play a BS "Conference Tournament" where they each boost each other's Strength of Schedule.

What I'm not sure of is why the NCAA would decide not to let the Big East have a 5 team football conference.

If the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story is true and WVU is allowed to leave early for $11 million I taken back my statement that Marinatto will never back down on letting us out early. We may have to play the Girls twice next year, but in 2013 we are ACC. Can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

We may have to play the Girls twice next year, but in 2013 we are ACC.
Syracuse will not play Rutgers twice next season.

There are other ways to fill the schedule. At this point I believe it's easier to find two games than one. If Rutgers is open to playing on the road then they should contact FSU.

the girls want 7 or 8 home games -thats why they wont go to fl st-

if 11 mill is true doc is on the phones as we speak -some say we have about a 2 week window that makes 12 a real possibility of being acc-i guess its in wv hands

The Orange Club could set up a "Go to the ACC"* fund for people to contribute to.

* AKA "Get away from Providence"

We are the perfect fit for the ACC. We are going to be instant contenders. Just look at how we've played against them these past 10-20 years. We have the fast breaking running game of a Carolina, with the drive and dish game of a Duke, but we play a unique defense that takes away much of their offensive game plans. Plus neither are as physical as Pitt, UConn or Georgetown, historically speaking. We are made to win this league. We will be and remain contenders, unlike BC, for intance.

Forget the on-court and on-field aspect... the reason why SU fits in the ACC is that we have a large, passionate fan base. Among many things I dislike about the Big East, the biggest perhaps is that half the teams in it have no friggin' fans! I mean look at our greatest historical hoops rival, Georgetown... they have no fans. Most of the fun in a rivalry is the antagonism between fanbases. Well that angle is kind of missing when your rival has no one rooting for them! Most of the hoops onlies are in the same boat: Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, DePaul... all black holes.

This is why I always tell you guys why the ACC is significantly more valuable than the Big East, even though they may not have been as good lately in hoops, and a toss-up for football. Because even when UVA, Maryland, NC State, FSU, etc are down they still have thousands upon thousands of fans that care, and watch. It's about being big time, and SU is big time. That's why we fit.

Forget the on-court and on-field aspect... the reason why SU fits in the ACC is that we have a large, passionate fan base. Among many things I dislike about the Big East, the biggest perhaps is that half the teams in it have no friggin' fans! I mean look at our greatest historical hoops rival, Georgetown... they have no fans. Most of the fun in a rivalry is the antagonism between fanbases. Well that angle is kind of missing when your rival has no one rooting for them! Most of the hoops onlies are in the same boat: Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, DePaul... all black holes.

This is why I always tell you guys why the ACC is significantly more valuable than the Big East, even though they may not have been as good lately in hoops, and a toss-up for football. Because even when UVA, Maryland, NC State, FSU, etc are down they still have thousands upon thousands of fans that care, and watch. It's about being big time, and SU is big time. That's why we fit.

In basketball we get half of the Verizon Center to antagonize the few fans they have.

I agree with all of that. I was just talking about on the court in hoops.

That's very nice of the ACC, who didn't care a whit about that in 2003, or when they struck first this time. That's just PR, son.

Yeah, we don't want to destroy the Big East. We just want 5 of their original 8 teams, that's all. We would have liked Rutgers, Temple and West Virginia to have a nice round robin 3 team league going forward.

So it looks like a done deal WV is getting out for $20 million. The question is:

Boise Early Exit Fee + SD St EEF + Houston + SMU + Memphis + UCF + cost of CUSA CG = $20 million WV EEF + Memphis Fedex $ + Pitt/SU EEFs

What $ amount would Pitt/SU/ACC have to come up with to make everyone happy for 2012? I thought I read at one point that the MWC/CUSA teams needed to pay $5 million to leave early. If so then the left side should equal around $40 million. If Pitt paid $5 million more, SU $5 million more, and the ACC $10 million to get this done for 2012, why would anyone say no?

So it looks like a done deal WV is getting out for $20 million. The question is:

Boise Early Exit Fee + SD St EEF + Houston + SMU + Memphis + UCF + cost of CUSA CG = $20 million WV EEF + Memphis Fedex $ + Pitt/SU EEFs

What $ amount would Pitt/SU/ACC have to come up with to make everyone happy for 2012? I thought I read at one point that the MWC/CUSA teams needed to pay $5 million to leave early. If so then the left side should equal around $40 million. If Pitt paid $5 million more, SU $5 million more, and the ACC $10 million to get this done for 2012, why would anyone say no?

Flaw: You're presuming John Marinatto will act/respond with logic.

The cost of Marinatto's bruised ego is not included anywhere in your analysis. I don't think the math can go forward without that. And ask WVU how much it costs.

The WVU board is reporting that Marinatto wanted the Mountaineers to fork over $50-60 million in exchange for its freedom. WVU offered $20 (purportedly the amount Providence told Pitt it needed to pay for its release). So now we read it is $20 million. Either Marinatto is poor negotiator or WVU has something on him. Maybe both.

If John Marinara doesn't play ball, we should threaten to stay for 2013 and throw his schedule all outta whack...

If John Marinara doesn't play ball, we should threaten to stay for 2013 and throw his schedule all outta whack...

The schedule is already going to be out of whack this year. They would probably rather have a screwed up schedule than to let us go early.

The WVU board is reporting that Marinatto wanted the Mountaineers to fork over $50-60 million in exchange for its freedom. WVU offered $20 (purportedly the amount Providence told Pitt it needed to pay for its release). So now we read it is $20 million. Either Marinatto is poor negotiator or WVU has something on him. Maybe both.

As with any settlement/negotiation there are points of argument (on both sides) that assist/hurt their particular case. This is how settlements are always attained. Parties always have a realistic number in mind and settle accordingly. The 50-60 mil demand was never a legitimate figure...but the 20 mil was all along...typically parties will meet halfway...