Pitt Expected to bolt the Big East if WVU goes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Expected to bolt the Big East if WVU goes

Come on, none of that compares to seeing us play Depaul, in a half-empty arena in Chicago. Or USF, in a half-empty arena in Tampa.

:D

But the half of the arena that's full is filled with Orange fans. :)

if they allowed tcu to have input in big east discussions and still let them free-they owe it to su wv and pitt to do the same

if tcu never had any say-its a different story imho

if they allowed tcu to have input in big east discussions and still let them free-they owe it to su wv and pitt to do the same

if tcu never had any say-its a different story imho

If TCU just gave a verbal commitment then they shouldn't have had to pay a dime to leave. But the fact that they did pay means that they were in fact considered a BE member starting in 2012-13. So why were they not held to the same exit standards?

ohh they did pay to leave-i missed that

then they were just as important a member as su wv and pitt-and we should get equal treatment imho

And 1 of the 8 would be Pitt, who we are already scheduled to play.
But the game against Pitt could be trated as an OOC game just for one year... I think something similar happened last year with the Big 12 to PAC 12 schedule. I forget the teams now... Colorado or Utah maybe?

But the game against Pitt could be trated as an OOC game just for one year... I think something similar happened last year with the Big 12 to PAC 12 schedule. I forget the teams now... Colorado or Utah maybe?
It's irrelevant.
8 games work just fine. Play your division, your crossover rival and one other team in the other division. The other crossover games that they were counting on having can be moved to 2013 to start the new scheduling sequence.

Pitt @ Syracuse would be part of the ACC schedule. As long as Pitt has 4 OOC games then the ACC schedule is complete (other than FSU needing to find a home game due to WVU).

The BE would be a mess for 2012. They could do a double round-robin schedule, but that's just strange. For this reason I doubt the move happens this year... unless the NNBE can get some new members to make that switch. C-USA can go from 12 to 9 with little scheduling impact. There could be TV contract impact, however, as they'd lose their championship game. It could be replaced with a MWC vs C-USA matchup if the NCAA would allow it.

It's crunch time, I would say that somewhere towards the end of next week could be the drop dead date as bees alluded to yesterday

I take the silence as a good sign. When things have been done out in the open (2003), they didn't turn out so well for us. When we are quiet, well, let's just say that worked this time around.

Unless it is a 3 for 3 swap with new BE teams: I don't want any part of bolting early...too much bad karma there. I'm resigned with the fact we have another season in the BE.

If WVU and Pitt go, we don't have a choice. It's not karma, it's survival. We cannot have a 2012 season in a 6 team Big East, and try to find 7 non conference games, while Pitt is the ACC and WVU is in the Big 12. Cannot, absolutely cannot happen. If Pitt goes, we go. As for the Big East in that scenario, quote Drago as Apollo was sucking in his last breath or two.

Pitt and Syracuse won't have the money WVU is going to pay to get out early. Remember the Big XII is going to contribute to WVU's exit fee because the Big XII needs 10 members or the TV Contract becomes repudiated. The sum to get out is estimated around 20-24 million for WVU to get out. However, Marinatto BETTER let us for 2013 now that the Big East has added SMU, San Diego St., Boise St., Memphis, Houston, and Central Florida for the 2013 football season. This meatball has been trying to stay he will keep SU in the conference till 2014, but with 6 schools ready for 2013 the Big East has mitigated its damages and will have to let Syracuse and Pitt out or the both will sue the Big East and have a WAY better case than WVU. I think we need to leave with class and not push for the 2012-2013 season because our football team needs a bowl this year and don't believe we could get one playing ACC teams next year.

Pitt and Syracuse won't have the money WVU is going to pay to get out early. Remember the Big XII is going to contribute to WVU's exit fee because the Big XII needs 10 members or the TV Contract becomes repudiated. The sum to get out is estimated around 20-24 million for WVU to get out. However, Marinatto BETTER let us for 2013 now that the Big East has added SMU, San Diego St., Boise St., Memphis, Houston, and Central Florida for the 2013 football season. This meatball has been trying to stay he will keep SU in the conference till 2014, but with 6 schools ready for 2013 the Big East has mitigated its damages and will have to let Syracuse and Pitt out or the both will sue the Big East and have a WAY better case than WVU. I think we need to leave with class and not push for the 2012-2013 season because our football team needs a bowl this year and don't believe we could get one playing ACC teams next year.

Added $12 million per school, plus added revenue of ticket sales, concessions, and all that fun stuff which comes from the more attractive schedule and you've easily made back your investment in under two years.

For $24 million, it's a steal. Because we could stay in the Big East for two more years and leave $24 million on the table that we would have gotten in the ACC and this is without also adding in the additional financial benefits of playing in the ACC.

The thing that worries me is that the BE needs SU to have 12 in 2013 and a BECG

There's all sorts of ConferenceUSA, Mountain West, and Sun Belt teams left to add.

I say Sue the Big East for a lack of leadership... find an angle and get the hell out, this seems more and more like a sinking ship without any leadership

McMurphy and Matt Hayes just tweeted that the Big East will not have its first BECG until Navy joins in 2015. That's from Marinatto's presser.

I say Sue the Big East for a lack of leadership... find an angle and get the hell out, this seems more and more like a sinking ship without any leadership
Think Gloria Allred would take the case?

...the BE as was contractual formated is done. If WVU leaves and Pitt follows,'Cuse gets a PASS and is out. The BE cannot keep 'Cuse and not provide $$ to 'Cuse for teams that are leaving and/or coming...that would not fly in a court...as 'Cuse would be singled out. I would bet we are playing football sooner than later in the ACC

...the BE as was contractual formated is done. If WVU leaves and Pitt follows,'Cuse gets a PASS and is out. The BE cannot keep 'Cuse and not provide $$ to 'Cuse for teams that are leaving and/or coming...that would not fly in a court...as 'Cuse would be singled out. I would bet we are playing football sooner than later in the ACC

I agree. You can easily make the argument that if WVU leaves that the contract that SU and Pitt signed on for is no longer applicable.

If WVU leaves all that will be established is the price.
It should be a bit less*... Syracuse and Pitt announced their departures two months prior to WVU.

2012 departures align with 11-month and 9-month notices, respectively.

* - yes, I realize that it likely won't work out that way

If SU and Pitt were allowed to leave for 2013 the Big East Football would have 11 schools Rutgers, UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Central Florida, SMU, Houston, Memphis, San Diego State, Boise State so they can't have a championship game until Navy joined in 2015. Big East will have to let SU and Pitt gone by 2013 or those 2 schools would sue their way out a la WVU. If we could get out for 2012 I say cowboy up the money and leave the Big East. If the Big East had 6 members they could play each other home and home have 10 games there and have 2 non-conference games. That way each Big East team gets 5 conference home games and atleast 1-AA opponent gets each school to a minimum of 6 home games.

I think the decision to let TCU go early, a decision that was made without even consulting Pitt and SU, is going to be key here. The Big East has made many awful decisions. That was one of the worst.

And yet on the UConn board to discuss conference realignment, they don't want to acknowledge any of the terrible decisions and public statements that Marinatto made when the move to the ACC was first announced. He was jerking around and saying awful things in public that called into question the Big East's survival, and his sense when it comes to picking advisors and negotiating contracts. The hoops schools took over the entire process of conference expansion, when it was the football schools who were most affected.

I mean, Notre Dame's AD chaired the TV committee, Georgetown's board member, Tagliabue, was brought in to help negotiate an agreement, and they turned down over $1 billion. Of course ESPN was going to punish them for that, but Marinatto all along has mismanaged things, made the Big East seem even more precarious than it already was, and has allowed conflicts of interest to proliferate against the football playing schools' interest.

It should be a bit less*... Syracuse and Pitt announced their departures two months prior to WVU.

2012 departures align with 11-month and 9-month notices, respectively.

* - yes, I realize that it likely won't work out that way

The ACC will not want to cause the BE to lose its football for 2012, and that is what will happen if Pitt and Cuse leave now along with WVU. But the ACC is acting to get Pitt and Cuse out of the BE and playing in the ACC for the 2013 season.