Pitt offers Sean Miller job | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt offers Sean Miller job

I would include the Big East as well. Certainly not Jay Wright.

Pitts really not that good a job.

I think it is a better job than most in this thread.
Not a destination job, but not exactly Eastern Kentucky. It's an ACC gig with a nice urban campus and an almost 10-year old facility. Solid potential there.

Here is what I would do if I were Pitt. I'd offer Bobby Hurley a blank check to come back East. Then in his introductory presser, I'd have him directly quote everything football coach Todd Graham said at ASU when he left Pitt after one year. Talk about a middle finger to the Sun Devils. The AD would then be an instant hero and he'd be rolling in donations.

BTW, Hurley was silly to take that ASU job when he did. Phoenix is great, but not for hoops. That will always be a middling Pac-12 program (that is in the shadow of Univ. of Arizona). Bad play.

th

Would Jay Wright be on their radar?

I just can't see Wright going anywhere. He has a very successful gig where he's at and don't see any reason why he can't sustain the success he's having. I don't even think Syracuse would lure him away from there. Unless he gets a gig say at Duke, Kentucky etc etc where his salary gets doubled he might leave but anything other than that I just can't see it.

I think it is a better job than most in this thread.
Not a destination job, but not exactly Eastern Kentucky. It's an ACC gig with a nice urban campus and an almost 10-year old facility. Solid potential there.

Here is what I would do if I were Pitt. I'd offer Bobby Hurley a blank check to come back East. Then in his introductory presser, I'd have him directly quote everything football coach Todd Graham said at ASU when he left Pitt after one year. Talk about a middle finger to the Sun Devils. The AD would then be an instant hero and he'd be rolling in donations.

BTW, Hurley was silly to take that ASU job when he did. Phoenix is great, but not for hoops. That will always be a middling Pac-12 program (that is in the shadow of Univ. of Arizona). Bad play.

I mean if your talking about giving a coach at a mediocre p5 school a blank check to come to Pitt, you're kind of making my point.

And the Pete is almost fifteen years old.

The gist of the posts on their board, even before the Miller tweet, is that they "had to" ask him since he's an alum, even though they anticipated he'd say no. No hard feelings on anyone's part and the search continues.

How so? He was coaching at BUFFALO, in a minor conference, and now has the opportunity to coach in a P5 at a destination locale for substantially more money.

Not suggesting that ASU is consistently good in basketball--they aren't--but maybe Hurley feels like he can build something there and have more success than Sendenk. It absolutely was the right play. ASU > Buffalo on an exponential level on just about every evaluative criteria, if not all of them.

How so? He was coaching at BUFFALO, in a minor conference, and now has the opportunity to coach in a P5 at a destination locale for substantially more money.

Not suggesting that ASU is consistently good in basketball--they aren't--but maybe Hurley feels like he can build something there and have more success than Sendenk. It absolutely was the right play. ASU > Buffalo on an exponential level on just about every evaluative criteria, if not all of them.

Hey, if he can find another James Harden he's golden.

Or, he could have stayed for another year, made the Tourney (they did make it without him) and watched his own stock shoot up even higher.

Right now, he is only 4 years shy of being the Johnny Dawkins of the Pac-12 South. They will never overtake Arizona. And the chances of both thriving are slim.

I guess my main point is, the Hurley mystique does not extend that far West. He should have stayed and waiting out the right Big East, ACC or B1G job.

Or, he could have stayed for another year, made the Tourney (they did make it without him) and watched his own stock shoot up even higher.

Right now, he is only 4 years shy of being the Johnny Dawkins of the Pac-12 South. They will never overtake Arizona. And the chances of both thriving are slim.

I guess my main point is, the Hurley mystique does not extend that far West. He should have stayed and waiting out the right Big East, ACC or B1G job.

It's easy to tell others what they should do, and what's best for them. The one factor I thought above might have been in UB's favor over ASU was the potential to have an easier path to the NCAA tournament.

That aside, it is tough to fault a coach for believing in his capabilities, and being willing to gamble on himself. Hurley didn't stick around at a lower level job hoping for things to fall into place, he took a P5 job when the opportunity arose. He's also got to be about 45 or so -- not sure that waiting around to make his move would be the "right" decision for a guy who is getting a start later than many other coaching prospects.

It's easy to tell others what they should do, and what's best for them. The one factor I thought above might have been in UB's favor over ASU was the potential to have an easier path to the NCAA tournament.

That aside, it is tough to fault a coach for believing in his capabilities, and being willing to gamble on himself. Hurley didn't stick around at a lower level job hoping for things to fall into place, he took a P5 job when the opportunity arose. He's also got to be about 45 or so -- not sure that waiting around to make his move would be the "right" decision for a guy who is getting a start later than many other coaching prospects.

Fair points. I think I made some too.
His brother, Danny at URI, appears to be more in tune with my philosophy.

I just can't see Wright going anywhere. He has a very successful gig where he's at and don't see any reason why he can't sustain the success he's having. I don't even think Syracuse would lure him away from there. Unless he gets a gig say at Duke, Kentucky etc etc where his salary gets doubled he might leave but anything other than that I just can't see it.
We do not need anyone, we have JAB, and his successer,(spellcheck). Mike Hopkins will carry on the su program and stay here. All due respect, when you start changing coaches every other year you are going down. Honestly, where do you think SU would be right now if not for hof coach? ecac? mid atlantic? SU is not luring anyone, we have what other schools want.

The Head of the Pitt Athletic department has stated that their objective is to find a head coach who reflects the manner of play that Pitt Basketball has become synonymous with over the past several decades. After an exhausting search they have found the perfect candidate and have extended the offer of the Head Basketball Coach position to: Conor McGregor!

1.jpg

Arizona is the Syracuse of the West Coast. Huge fanbase, 1 NC, multiple FInal Fours, always a contender. Top 9-11 job nationally. Miller would be stupid to take the Pitt job unless he got a lifetime contract.

He will not recruit the same level he gets at Arizona to Pitt. That program recruits for itself not the coach.

I don't believe this.

Also had a longtime coach that took the program from regional to national. Lute is JB's west coast doppelganger.